OTA and mapping. How it works.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Whiteice

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Hey all,

Again, please bare with me, just trying to understand all the VOOM and OTA talk before my install hopefully takes place next week.

My question about OTA. How does it work? I have heard people talk about "Mapping" I think that is the correct term I read. I have also read people talking about some software upgrade coming up in regards to OTA scanning or something?

Im just trying to understand the process on how it would work in both cases (Mapping or Software scanning.)

Also, I dont understand how you would get the OTA channels if the receiver only receives VOOM satellite information.

Are there any tutorials of sorts that explain how this all works?

TIA,
Whiteice

PS. Again sorry for the noob questions. If there was a FAQ of sorts that I missed that would help answer all these type of questions, I must have missed it. Please point me in that direction.

This only applies to OTA in VOOM.

The way it works is that unless the local channels for your location are integrated in the PG (mapping), you will not be able to tune to any local channels (even if you have the signal coming through the antenna).

The way it works (I think): There is a two way process - Tribune and Motorola. Motorola re-program or loads the all the local channels for your zipcode. Tribune provides the information to Motorola.

The way it work with OTA Scanning:

Customers will be able to add their local channels (as long as there is a signal) to their PG. This implies that some channels may not have PG information but you will be able to tune to it.

This is as simple as it gets.

Great thanks for the information Sean. I do appreciate it. Now just to wait out the installation and hope it all happens next Friday. :D

Whiteice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)