ota antenna help

jrschatz

Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
PA
Hi there - I have a somewhat specific location question that I am hoping someone can help me out with.

I travel to state college, pa (zip code 16801) a lot with my RV and enjoy watching tv there. Through directv, I can pull most cable channels, but since I do not live in the area I am unable to get my locals.

I have recently been using my RV's ota antenna with a digital converter box and it works great to get NBC, but I am having trouble finding ABC. using antennaweb, I have found the following:

violet uhf: WATM-DT 23.1 ABC Altoona, PA 252degrees 35.3 miles 24RF
violet uhf: W36BE-D 36.1 ABC scranton, PA 206degrees 7.2 miles 36RF

is there any antenna I can outfit on my RV to get these abc channels? Any help is greatly appreciated...thanks

What do you have for an antenna on your RV? Both are UHF broadcasts and seem to be in easy range distance wise, can't tell much about obstruction where you park. Are you in a valley, behind tall buildings, blocked by stadium?

If your RV came with a Winegard Sensar-III, there's an easy upgrade for it that makes it much more effective with UHF signals, called the Wingman. Not sure if it'll work with older versions of the Sensar or not.

You should be able to pick up that ch36 station with a coat hanger. At 7 miles, unless you are on opposite sides of a mountain (TVFool.com says you're not), that should be a breeze. Do you have a set of rabbit ears with a 7.5" loop on them that is not amplified?

Plan B would involve a 2-bay bowtie antenna (Antennas Direct dB2, Channel Master 4220, Eagle Aspen DTV2B-UHF) for $15-25, mounted on the mast your RV already has.

jrschatz, That area of PA has large hills. When I stop for the night in Milesburg (about 15 miles away) I dont even bother to try and pickup local broadcast TV there. Too far away from a DMA in large hills.

Last edited:
thanks everyone for all the suggestions so far ---

the RV has a winegard retractable antenna -- but i don't know the model. I do know it is pretty old -- from about 1994...and i have not tried any other antenna's. it has a button inside that turns on what appears to be an amp.

where i park does not have any large obstructions other than the large mountains around, like roashru noted... i checked out tv fool however thanks to cowboydren and it says that i should be getting abc and cbs easier than nbc...

does the original rv antenna not pick up uhf very well? would i be best to try the radio shack uhf antenna in conjunction? does it need to be amplified as well?

sorry for all the questions -- thanks for all the help.

on a side note it is an outright shame that so many people do not know about free tv...when i hooked up my antenna and got nbc crystal clear, one of my buddies mentioned that he thought they did away with free tv.... they did an awful job explaining all this

Last edited:
The Wingman is a add-on to the Winegard Sensar that will help increase your range on UHF signals. This add-on runs from $20-$30 and can be found many places on the internet, your local RV dealer or at Camping World.

The unit is passive, takes 30 seconds to install and has helped many of our customers.

From your description of the antenna it is probably a Winegard sensar aka BATWING .

Playing with the map on antenna web, with the star centered on 16801 you can receive 10 stations according to them. As I moved N & E guessing by street names I got to a low of 3 stations expected. Reception in that area must be very problamatic because I got down to NBC /PBS and I think it was an independent. Try moving the location on the map until you find a street intersection near where you park then go to stations received.

Are you looking for a answer or a solution to your question.

Without going in the history of television or explaining how the signal is transmitted - this is what i will tell you.

WWCP / WATM is transmitted from the same tower and the same transmitter.

The way it works is that Johnstown / Altoona is not a very big market. So to compensate for that, they have two stations. Most times the FCC only allows you to own one station per a market, but no one else was interested in running a ABC station in that market - so they basically have two stations.

Because of how the digital works, you have one high def station and up to two sub stations. So WWCP transmits it's signal on channel 8 and carries WATM as a sub channel - and is pointed towards Johnstown / Pittsburgh.

WATM carries it's high def signal on Ch 23 and carries WWCP on it's sub channel and is pointed towards the Altoona market.

WTAJ - is out of Altoona, it's call letters stands for Tyrone, Altoona, Johnstown.
WTAJ's market is basically Johnstown, Altoona, Tyrone, Dubois, State College.

WJAC - their call letters stands for Johnstown Automobile Company services all of central Pennsylvania.

Those are some of the basic channels available in State College - along with a new station that is out of State College that carries the CW Network. The reason why the station is out of State College is because the next closest station that has the CW is in Jennette PA. That station was in Johnstown on UHF and was moved closer to Pittsburgh to get a larger market share.

One of the rules - when you move a station is that it still has to be receiveable in the city where it origionated.

So to compensate for the loss - due to the fact that UHF does not work well in mountainous terrain and the fact that with a power reduction on the VHF, the only logical choice would be to put up translators.

WWCP / WATM has several, the whole way down to Bedford Pa and Summerset PA.

Unfortunately WTAJ is only a 1000 Kw station and does not cover the area well.
Their budget is low and they said that they did not care if they lost a portion of their viewing area due to terrain.

WJAC has several translators - including on being built in Dubois PA and also one in Kane PA and one in State College.

WPSU - Penn State University is out of Clearfield with a repeater in State College. They were the people who developed the technology to transmit the same signal on the same frequency from two different transmitters at the same time and not have clocking issues. Basically there is a large mountain between State College and Clearfield and the signal does not travel well in either direction.

To watch all these stations, a UHF high gain antenna is manditory.

I would suggest that you invest in a Terrestrial Digital XG 91 - antenna and maybe even a CM 7777 pre amp and good RG 6 wire and bypass the current system your camper currently has. You will need some type of mast pipe which you could set up - once you get to your campsite and the size of the XG 91 is small enough that you can just put it inside of the camper when you are traveling.

Unfortunately the terrain in and around that area is challenging and your reception OTA will not improve with any camper type antenna. The only other option is to stay at a campground that offers basic cable as part of their package.

TV fool dot com

Look at the TV Fool Report for State College.

The first problem is that you need a exact address, because there is fluctuations in elevation from one side of State College to the other and the Western Side has a large mountain to the west that blocks most signals from that direction.

W42DG - Ch 42
W36BE - Ch 36
DW39BE - Ch 39
WATM - Ch 34
WTAJ - Ch 32
WHVL - Ch 27
WKBS - Ch 46
W59AI - Ch 17
WJAC - Ch 22
WPSU - Ch 15
WJAC - Ch 34
WPIX - CH 25
All translators are low power and do not transmit very far.

All full power stations are at a distance of about 34 - 39 miles and requires more then just a set of rabbit ears type antenna's to receive.

None of the stations in the viewing area are VHF

Older RV / Camper type antenna's were high on gain for VHF with little to no reception capibilities for UHF.

If I can't receive it at my house with a antenna 18 feet off the ground, with a semi clear view of Johnstown / Altoona and a Winegard 8200U antenna, then you are not going to receive it with a Silversensor or Wingman type antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts