OTA antenna options

Chuck Summers

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
KIrksville, Mo.
Hey guys, any suggestions for the best indoor Amplified OTA antenna that I can use in a rural area. I would like one that will hook up to the Hopper 3. I already have one from Walmart that's hooked into the hopper. It gets 8 channels, would like one with enough strength to go out more distance

Hey guys, any suggestions for the best indoor Amplified OTA antenna that I can use in a rural area. I would like one that will hook up to the Hopper 3. I already have one from Walmart that's hooked into the hopper. It gets 8 channels, would like one with enough strength to go out more distance
If you are in a rural area your best bet is to use an outdoor antenna or at least one mounted in your attic. Indoor antennas just don't have the oomph to get signals from towers farther away.

indoor Amplified OTA antenna that I can use in a rural area
"Indoor" and "Rural" don't go together when you are talking about an tv antenna. Besides that, we can only guess as to your needs. Go here and run a report for an OUTDOOR antenna at 30' and 110 miles, and post the results link here. Once we have that, we can advise you as to what may work without multiple "buying and trying", RabbitEars.Info

Try tvfool.com for starters. You enter your home address and an antenna height if known. It will return a list of stations and their relative signal strengths.

I put a DB8 antenna in my attic (about 19ft in height)to receive stations some 35-40 miles away and it works well. I used an amplifier because I split the signal to go to the hopper and directly into the TV.

Try tvfool.com for starters. You enter your home address and an antenna height if known. It will return a list of stations and their relative signal strengths.

I put a DB8 antenna in my attic (about 19ft in height)to receive stations some 35-40 miles away and it works well. I used an amplifier because I split the signal to go to the hopper and directly into the TV.
Tvfool is no good anymore. He hasn't updated the database for years now. Rabbitears is where you have to go now. RabbitEars.Info

Is this site any good? I used it years ago.

Well, it's better than Tvfool, but not by much. Rabbitears is by FAR the best way to go, and gives you MUCH more data that you may need in a difficult situation in getting all your stations. RabbitEars.Info

Reactions: charlesrshell
My advice is avoid the gimmick or "aesthetic" looking new antennas and get an old fashioned Yagi antetnna because they still perform the best. Further, you can add just about any 3rd party amplifier to the coax. The antennas should state at what distance it should perform well enough, as you shop around. Also, indoor attic is going to really reduce your ability to get signals strong and reliably, especially in rural area. You really need to consider putting it outdoor and you should be OK, but if you do have problems receiving some stations, then you may need have that antenna go as HIGH as necessary. Sometimes the final thing that makes all difference in getting a station in clearly and reliably is not amplification, but HEIGHT. Without sufficient signal, you will only amplify the NOISE, and not the signal so much. Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts