OTA Antenna

Skyhi

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2007
NE Ohio
I don't want to wait any longer for Cleveland HD Locals. I currently have an indoor antenna that is marginal at best. Does dish sell/install outdoor antennas, and if so, does anyone know how much they charge? Thanks!

I don't want to wait any longer for Cleveland HD Locals. I currently have an indoor antenna that is marginal at best. Does dish sell/install outdoor antennas, and if so, does anyone know how much they charge? Thanks!
You'd be better trying to install one on your own, and will save you money. First find out what kind you need:
AntennaWeb

Then:
Off-Air TV & HDTV Antennas, Amplifiers, and Installation Accessories

And pending location to towers, here is a dandy DIY:
DIY HDTV antenna - Lumenlab
Works great in my attic.

KAB is right.

FYI, I have the Channel Master 4221 in my attic and used a J-mount on a piece of plywood. Works great but that is because I did a little research with AntennaWeb. I also bought it from SolidSignal.

Unfortunately, I don't have an attic. I have a bungalow and the upper floor is the master bedroom. I have a prohibitive fear of heights, so I won't be getting on a ladder outside. :(

In that case, I would look in the yellow pages under Television and Radio Dealers. Call those and see if they install antennas. I would think you would be able to find one.

Antenna installers are harder and harder to find. Try the phone book but don't expect a lot of installers to pick from...

Do try and call Dish (try the tech support option) and ask if they still have the deal for Cleveland residents (among other markets) for having an antenna installed. The ones they offer aren't the best but depending on your location, it may be more than sufficient. They were offering the antenna and installation for a LOT less than you'd ever get it done unless you DIY'd.

Look up satellite installers under the yellow pages too. Many of the small local mom-and-pop places started out doing antennas before they did satellite, at least many of them in my area did.

Antenna installers are harder and harder to find. Try the phone book but don't expect a lot of installers to pick from...

Do try and call Dish (try the tech support option) and ask if they still have the deal for Cleveland residents (among other markets) for having an antenna installed. The ones they offer aren't the best but depending on your location, it may be more than sufficient. They were offering the antenna and installation for a LOT less than you'd ever get it done unless you DIY'd.

I completely agree with Hall (I usually do :cool:) in that a phone call to Dish will net some decent results. Depending on where you're located, the antennas that Dish is selling seem to be pretty decent. At least down here in N. Canton (approx 45 miles south of Cleveland...with a *TON* of hills in-between us and Cleveland) I do pretty well with the OTA on my 722 (barring any more crappy software "upgrades"...*cough, cough* L446)

The install is free, you just have to pay for the cost of the OTA...once again, depending on the type...approx $50 - $100.

I have two of the Philips Silver Sensor antennas. One is connected to a 722 and one to a 222.

They work well for me but I do live about 10 miles from the TV station transmitters and don't have any obstructions in the way.

Signal strength fluctuates a little and ranges from 73% to 92% depending on channel.

lowdown

Silver Sensors generally work pretty good, but all antenna situations are different.
Get the antenna from a place that will take it back if it does NOT work.
Some other amplified indoor antennas also work well.

fred

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts