OTA Antenna

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Big Dawg 23

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Northfield, MN
I decided to go back to Satellite as Cable with Charter has gotten ridiculous. Here is my question last time I had issues with my Dish network in the latter part of my contract going out frequently in the Rain. This go round I would like an OTA as back up. Any suggestion on decent yet small antenna?. I live in a Association and want it to be discrete next to my dish. If I do this now I have two cables from when Dish Network was installed. Then I can have Direct run new ones when they install on the 30. At this point I do not have an HDTV, although I am getting one after the first of the year unless my TV dies before hand.

I do want it to be HD and Digital because I could use my TV Tuner card on my Laptop as a back of DVR.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

A CM4228 (soon to be renamed to the CM4228HD) installed just above the roof line and aimed at maybe 356° or there about; should work just fine in Northfield, MN. If you post your actual zip at TVFool you may get a bit better info; see attached. Stay away from gimmicky or specialty antennas; as they are more about looks and price vs function. And shop around; some places seem to jack up the prices for some of the most popular models. The CM4228 and the like should be just around $55 - $70; not the $85+ you see on some of these other sites.

Channel Master CM 4228 8-Bay Bowtie UHF Antenna (CM4228) | CM4228 [Channel Master] | CM-4228 4228 CM 4228 bow tie bow-tie channel master 4228 channel master CM4228 channel master CM-4228

Channel Master CM4228 - Channel Master CM4228 8-Bay Bowtie UHF HDTV Antenna

Attachments

• CM4228HD.png
    CM4228HD.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 143
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
A CM4228 (soon to be renamed to the CM4228HD) installed just above the roof line and aimed at maybe 356° or there about; should work just fine in Northfield, MN. If you post your actual zip at TVFool you may get a bit better info; see attached. Stay away from gimmicky or specialty antennas; as they are more about looks and price vs function. And shop around; some places seem to jack up the prices for some of the most popular models. The CM4228 and the like should be just around $55 - $70; not the $85+ you see on some of these other sites.

Channel Master CM 4228 8-Bay Bowtie UHF Antenna (CM4228) | CM4228 [Channel Master] | CM-4228 4228 CM 4228 bow tie bow-tie channel master 4228 channel master CM4228 channel master CM-4228

Channel Master CM4228 - Channel Master CM4228 8-Bay Bowtie UHF HDTV Antenna

Glad to see you found this thread Charper, I thought you might.
I was going to post the info about the 4228, but was not sure I had the numbers right and knew you'd be around :)

Jimbo

I sure hate that post transition that some affiliates are going to leave UHF and create mixed band markets. Are they all going to leave UHF after a time? In my current market one affiliate is not only going to leave UHF, but will be going to VHF-LO to "re-claim" their channel 5; that sucks! I wish there was a way to force them to at least stay in the VHF-HI area. Right now it seems I will try my CM4228 but I am not thinking VHF-LO and it will get along well.

I sure hate that post transition that some affiliates are going to leave UHF and create mixed band markets. Are they all going to leave UHF after a time? In my current market one affiliate is not only going to leave UHF, but will be going to VHF-LO to "re-claim" their channel 5; that sucks! I wish there was a way to force them to at least stay in the VHF-HI area. Right now it seems I will try my CM4228 but I am not thinking VHF-LO and it will get along well.

I still have my UHF/VHF antenna on the rotor, never saw a reason to go strictly UHF even though they said the HD would be coming on UHF.

Therefore I will still be in good shape if my markets decide to pull something like that.

Jimbo

Everyone thanks for the reply. Putting up a OTA will be more difficult than I thought. My issue is the 4228HD I am sure will not be permitted in my Association(I am the President). It will be deemed an eye soar. Second my zip 55057 appears that I need to get a fairly clear shot to the north. I would precieve if I have an obstruction that direction it will be difficult. To my north is another Townhome building. I didnt think it would be difficult given my OTA antenna that came with my Hauppauge 950Q tuner pulls in many but not all the channels in Digital.

I will do some more research with all your great suggestions.

Everyone thanks for the reply. Putting up a OTA will be more difficult than I thought. My issue is the 4228HD I am sure will not be permitted in my Association(I am the President). It will be deemed an eye soar. Second my zip 55057 appears that I need to get a fairly clear shot to the north. I would precieve if I have an obstruction that direction it will be difficult. To my north is another Townhome building. I didnt think it would be difficult given my OTA antenna that came with my Hauppauge 950Q tuner pulls in many but not all the channels in Digital.

If you want to try an Indoor variety, try the Zenith Silver Sensor.
Also, you may be surprised how much you can get with and without obstructions, in the beginning it was hard because the stations were only running a low power, but most are at full power now, but not all.

Jimbo

At 42miles or so from the towers I think the SS will struggle; especially indoors. As the president of your HOA you may want to review federal laws that supersede any local city, state, county and most importantly, HOA rules. Do you live in a rental apartment/condo or an single family dwelling? The old "eyesore" rule does not and will not always stand in court.

Search OTARD.

I live in a owned townhouse. Your are correct I could push the issue at our next board meeting. I am going to discussion with our property manager on what my options are today.

I am 40 miles from our towers in a single story. I put a channelmaster deep fringe in the attic and tied the OTA in with a SWM setup. Let me know if you decide this right and ill give you the data on my antenna (uhf and vhf).

FYI, The lowest I get is 68 SS on one station, rest are better.

As President of your Association (I assume an HOA), you should be familiar with the OTARD rules.

My issue is the 4228HD I am sure will not be permitted in my Association(I am the President). It will be deemed an eye soar. Second my zip 55057 appears that I need to get a fairly clear shot to the north. I would precieve if I have an obstruction that direction it will be difficult. To my north is another Townhome building. I didnt think it would be difficult given my OTA antenna that came with my Hauppauge 950Q tuner pulls in many but not all the channels in Digital.

see FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

You can't be prevented from putting up an antenna for TV purposes. It also looks like you can go up to 12 feet in length for a mast without concern. That may be enough to avoid obstructions.

see FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

You can't be prevented from putting up an antenna for TV purposes. It also looks like you can go up to 12 feet in length for a mast without concern. That may be enough to avoid obstructions.

12 feet mast length or 12 feet off the ground ?
Only 12 ft off the ground may be an issue, your houses are higher than that.
OTA, the higher the better :)

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts