OTA channels do not get program guide

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

spec1alk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
I plugged in an indoor powered antennae to my ViP722 and am able to pick up NBC and CBS in Digital HD. The problem is that the E* CBS is on channel 004-00 but the OTA channel is 007-?. It looks like this is causing the program guide information to not be available for the OTA channel. I would like to be able to use this channel to DVR programs.

It looks like NBC (E* 006-00, OTA 006-01) is mapped correctly and has program guide information.

How can I get this fixed?

does the channel have the same call number? That actually happens on mine as well, the channel on dish is 6 for abc but on the ota its 49, but both are WLNE, so the guide data shows up.

come to think of it, we get a couple of boston channels too which show different things and their guide data shows up fine. We also have a dtv converter box setup in the guest bedroom and that also gets program data. So i am not sure if the info is from dish or ota, maybe your local station just does not transmit it.

I get ota channels from two dmas, my own, Miami dma and the neighboring West Palm Beach dma. I have found that the gudi info for the other dma takes longer to show up in my guide than the local info but eventualy does show up. Now sub channel info is still spotty some sub chanel get info others don't.

Pittsburgh has a variety of sub channels. interestingly my dish pal dvr and 722s lack all data for the same channels..........

Most Dish receivers block the PSIP data. If you have an OTA antenna, like I do, you just set your timers by channel/time/date, just like the old VCR days. Guide data is generally only provided when you pay for locals from Dish.

On the other hand, it looks like maybe Dish will provide locals as part of the packages as of 2/1. I wonder if that is true, and if it includes HD?

You'll need to call DISH. There's nothing you can do to change channel assignments.

The problem is that the channel assignment is correct for Butte, MT (my DMA), but it is re-transmitted locally in Bozeman, MT (80 miles away and a mountain between) on a different channel. So if they changed the channel assignment, it would be incorrect for users in Butte.

Most Dish receivers block the PSIP data. If you have an OTA antenna, like I do, you just set your timers by channel/time/date, just like the old VCR days. Guide data is generally only provided when you pay for locals from Dish.

On the other hand, it looks like maybe Dish will provide locals as part of the packages as of 2/1. I wonder if that is true, and if it includes HD?

I already have locals + HD with my package, and this is what I do for the OTA channels that do not have program guide.

It is starting to sound like this may be something that the local station needs to address, transmitting the PSIP data. I have an OTA 007-00 (CBS) and 007-01 (CW). The strange thing is that OTA 007-00 has no program guide info while the 007-01 sub-channel displays guide info.

I don't recall if the OTA station contains the 4 character ID. It may not, but I would have to look.

The problem is that the channel assignment is correct for Butte, MT (my DMA), but it is re-transmitted locally in Bozeman, MT (80 miles away and a mountain between) on a different channel. So if they changed the channel assignment, it would be incorrect for users in Butte.
They do this stuff mostly by county so there shouldn't be a problem in Silver Bow or Gallatin counties.

Jefferson, Madison or Broadwater counties may be a can of worms.

In any event, if nobody says anything to DISH, nothing will get done and you'll have to continue to record your channels without the benefit of guide entries.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts