OTA channels with D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kschramm

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
I just canceled my E* account. I really enjoyed how my Vip622 with E* had integrated OTA tuner. I have read that i need a separate tuner for OTA. My questions is. does it integrate with the DVR, can i record shows and stuff? do i have to switch inputs on my tv or does it plug into the HD DVR?

thanks, I read recently that you have been with D* for four months. do you have any regrets about making the switch? is there one thing you miss from E* that's not available on D* technically speaking not programming?

The AM21 works fine with any of the HR/H 21's and up. You can record any show you want OTA and you move throught he channels as you would any channel from DirecTV. The only way to tell you're using OTA is the channels have -x after them. You may see a bit of a delay as you change from OTA channels to channels coming off your dish.

thanks, I read recently that you have been with D* for four months. do you have any regrets about making the switch? is there one thing you miss from E* that's not available on D* technically speaking not programming?

I really cant compare the two as with E* I didnt have a DVR and with D* I do and there was a 2+ year gap between ending E* and getting Directv

I will pipe up here with one difference .

HR2x cant do what my 722 could which was record 2 sat + OTA ... HR2x is stuck at recording 2 shows at a time max be it 2 sat or 1sat + 1 ota etc. Other then that I enjoy better VOD services and MRV services from my dtv recivers.

So.... I can get OTA on my HR22-100? and record it too?

When I was first switched over to Mpeg-4 ( H21-200 ) some years back the installer told me that it would not get OTA, I never asked about the HR22 when it was put in.

I used to have OTA on my IRD when I had my RCA DTC210, but since my main TV now has a good digital OTA tuner, I never really worried about it since I also get the main networks from DirecTV. I mainly use OTA for the local news.

Yes you can ... by adding the companion AM21 tuner. DirecTV usually sells 'em for $50 -- used to be able to order it right from your account on their site, but I just looked and can't find it -- I'm sure it's there somewhere. But once you have it, it is seamless -- the OTA channels show up in the guide and you can record them just as you would any satellite channel. (Limit two at a time ... ie: 2 satellite, 2 OTA, or 1 satellite and 1 OTA)

does the AM21 provide all the guide data. The thing that annoyed me with E* was that they only supplies guide data with the channels they had deals with. for example. In maryland we have MPT (Maryland public TV) I was able to get it OTA but DISH did not provide the guide data for that channel so I the only way I could record things was using timers. I am hoping the D* AM21 provides guide data for all channels it receives.

I think it does
I know my old D10 that has a OTA tuner in it does. Shows even the subchannels that are not carried

I am hoping the D* AM21 provides guide data for all channels it receives.
This is a perplexing "feature" of the AM21. If a digital channel isn't listed in the guide that DIRECTV provides, the AM21 won't tune it (unless you can find similar channel in another market where the program information will almost certainly be wrong).

Both providers are giving relatively complete guide data now.

This is a perplexing "feature" of the AM21. If a digital channel isn't listed in the guide that DIRECTV provides, the AM21 won't tune it (unless you can find similar channel in another market where the program information will almost certainly be wrong).

Both providers are giving relatively complete guide data now.

Say WHAT ?

Your saying that if D* doesn't have it listed in it's database, it won't pick it up ?
Yes, that is correct.

Why would you expect it to pick up something that D* doesn't have in their DB ?

There are NO Scanners with these, D* gave that up long ago ..... This way they KNOW what channels to expect and no longer have subs calling in complaining about OTA channels. They tell them that they can get thier locals over the D* supplied sat signal and thats that !

does the AM21 provide all the guide data.

Yes, though I supposed it's possible that something might slip through the cracks. In my area, every channel, no matter how obscure, is listed (including subchannels, like 7-2, etc.).

Good info in this thread. I didn't know about the two recording limit with the AM21. Glad you guys brought that up. I'm looking hard at directv when by commitment with dish is up.

I like the mrv... Alot... Almost enough to switch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)