OTA EPG Info Incorrect or Displaying 'Digital Service'

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Minneapolis DMA

023-02 Cool TV

Guide data off by one hour. Example: Guide shows Eighties at Eight as being on at 7. Was this way before and after daylight savings change.

ERIE, PA DMA

These Need Guide Info

9-1 WLEP (RTV) Digital service
9-2 WLEP (TUFF) Digital Service
9-3 WLEP Digital Service

54-2 WQLN PBS Create Sub Channel Digital Service
54-3 WQLN PBS Sub Channel Digital Service

These OTA channels display only "digital service" on my 722k receiver. FYI, my zip is 28655 and I live in the Charlotte NC DMA:

006-01 WSOC (this is a translator for 009-01 WSOC)
006-02 WAXN (this sub-channel duplicates 064-01 WAXN)
017-01 UNC (this is a full-power PBS TV station - callsign WUNE - and is part of the NC Public Television Network)
017-02 UNC
017-03 UNC
018-04 WCCB (this is a translator for 018-01 WCCB)
018-05 WCCB (this sub-channel duplicates 018-02 WCCB)
018-06 WCCB (this sub-channel duplicates 018-03 WCCB - programming is ME-TV)

Agree with Geronimo and Hall: When This TV was on KTLA 5.2, we had complete listings. However, since This TV it moved (several months ago) to 5.3, we have "Digital Service." Even fishier is than from DAY ONE of the launch of Antenna TV at 5.2 (the old This TV position) we have had complete listings on the EPG. I don't think I've noticed one improvement of the OTA listings in the LA DMA since this thread started. When KCET had PBS World, we had complete listings on the EPG. Since KCET dropped PBS World and it was picked up by KOCE, we still have "Digital Service" for PBS World.

Yes. DIRT, please respond, even if it is to tell us that has abounded the effort and is working on 813 or the successor to the 922 or just decided to have a really long lunch over the subject.

Waiting to hear from you, DIRT, please.

DISH OTA Channel 11-02 BYU-TV EPG shows wrong channel info

DISH OTA Channel 11-02 BYU-TV EPG shows wrong channel info.
It shows the same listings as 11-01 KBYU PBS station.
It should show the same listing information as Channel 9403 BYUTV.

How can I get a hold of someone at dish that could fix this. If I call support I am certain it won't get to anyone that could fix it.

First try deleting that whole channel. Reset the receiver, and add it back in. See if that fixes it. That does not always work, but it did for me when the PBS info showed for a channel in Tampa.

Also, if that does not work, email one of the Satguys Dish CSR's here, they can at least direct the report to the right place.

The channels listed above are alternate channels provided by the OTA module to the receiver. The EPG information is provided by these local providers. The signal only goes through the module once it is picked up by your antenna. Have you tried unplugging the receiver and having it reboot to see if it will update the EPG information? I will contact our engineers to research this problem further to see if it is a problem with our receiver/module. I did find an issue with the EPG skipping forward but nothing about EPG information for local channels. Please let me know about the reboot.

dentke,

Are you receiving any locals channels from us now? Could you PM your account number or phone number so I can look at your account to figure out what is happening with the local EPG? Thanks!

Ray,

I have unplugged, replugged, rescan, reset, etc. & still only Antenna TV does not get guide data. I do believe the provider is providing data as I can get it via EyeTV on my Mac & on my small Haier TV (I haven't rescanned on my Sony lately). All of the other sub-channels I get OTA that are not on Dish in any form do have guide data.

Ray,

I have unplugged, replugged, rescan, reset, etc. & still only Antenna TV does not get guide data. I do believe the provider is providing data as I can get it via EyeTV on my Mac & on my small Haier TV (I haven't rescanned on my Sony lately). All of the other sub-channels I get OTA that are not on Dish in any form do have guide data.
until Dish loads the EPG info into the system it will show "digital signal"

Minneapolis DMA

023-02 Cool TV

Guide data off by one hour. Example: Guide shows Eighties at Eight as being on at 7. Was this way before and after daylight savings change.

interesting....the AM21 that Directv uses has the same glitch
my TV's show the correct info. Havent checked the DTVPal converter box to check though

These local OTA TUCSON channels need to be updated with program info:

OTA CHANNEL-- MENU READS NOW-- MENU SHOULD READ

009-03-- DIGITAL SERVICE-- THE COOL TV
018-02-- DIGITAL SERVICE-- ESTRELLA TV
027-02-- DIGITAL SERVICE-- PBS - KIDS
027-03-- DIGITAL SERVICE-- PBS - WORLD
034-01 KFTU-- DIGITAL SERVICE-- TELEFUTURA HD
034-02 KUVE-- DIGITAL SERVICE-- UNIVISION HD
046-02 KFTU-- DIGITAL SERVICE-- TELEFUTURA SD

Hey guys... Status: No new information on this.

I am still hoping this information will prove useful, but as of right now I have run out of leads. I will continue to push and ask, especially with new equipment coming down the pipe, and will start posting weekly (setup a new "alert" to remind me). Even if its no news, I will simply post that.

until Dish loads the EPG info into the system it will show "digital signal"

That is exactly what I understand, the problem is that Dish has not loaded the data.

I feel like I've been banging my head on a wall trying to explain that to several people. So many assume that no guide data means we don't subscribe to locals through Dish no matter how many times I say I do. I just want to make it clear to anyone at Dish.

I understand that. I was just verifying that the info you were given previously was wrong
As you can see you're not the only one with the issue and unfortunately Dish hasnt really done much about it

That is exactly what I understand, the problem is that Dish has not loaded the data.

I feel like I've been banging my head on a wall trying to explain that to several people. So many assume that no guide data means we don't subscribe to locals through Dish no matter how many times I say I do. I just want to make it clear to anyone at Dish.

Sorry for the frustration. The information internally shows that local OTA guide information is provided with a subscription to local channels through DISH. That is almost verbatim. Taking it as a general statement, which some employees do, it is assumed that Local OTA channels means ALL OTA channels (including sub-channels). Unfortunately, that is just not the case. I had no idea until the formation of DIRT and our release into Satguys.us (always thankful for eye-openers). The statement, in actuality, refers to specific channels, namely the local stations that made the digital transition and were/are provided by DISH, excluding the sub-channels that came about as a result of the digital transition.

Current 'rule of thumb': if we do not provide the channel, we do not provide the data. Unfortunately, that is the manner in which it is handled. Personally, I like this method as much as anyone else on this thread.

Leads ? What leads ?

I have been looking into this as long as DIRT has been around and have spoken with many people with regard to changing the current business practices surrounding it. During LIN, I drove for a change, using it as a catalyst to provide software that would actively read PSID information. I push, and it pushed back. I learned (during conversations and research) that the information is "purchased" from Tribune at a cost that I do not know. The business decision DISH has made was not to spend more money purchasing additional information from the third party, or buying and refitting the hardware and software needed to decode it from the data stream directly from the receiver or at the Uplink center(s).

My personal opinion, much like those of you here, is that gear should do EVERYTHING it is capable of doing. My goal is to find someone like-minded with enough pull to change the way it is. Hence tracking down leads.

What does new equipment have to do with this issue ?

New gear has nothing to do with the issue itself, but may prompt that 'like-minded individual' into stepping forward and saying "Hey, lets do this."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)