OTA EPG Info Incorrect or Displaying 'Digital Service'

I did, when I worked at a TV station and had to compliy with this rule. I am retired, for the last 16 months, and do not follow it anymore. That was the rule back then. Should be at FFC.gov or at the ATSC groups website, the guys who designed the present system.

Me-TV has been added to two CA markets

SF Bay Area 20.2 is now Me-TV
Salinas/Monterey 27.2 is also Me-TV

Please add guide info...just says digital service currently.

If this thread is for OTA channels that DISH offers locals in SD add KYTX CBS 19 from Tyler to that list. My other OTA locals show the guide just fine.

If this thread is for OTA channels that DISH offers locals in SD add KYTX CBS 19 from Tyler to that list. My other OTA locals show the guide just fine.

no this is for channels that the guide shows "digital service" instead of actual guide info

Here in Minneapolis we have a bunch of them...sad part is Dish carries 2 of them on the locals

Minneapolis (all show digital service)

2-3 is TPTLife which Dish carries on Channel 17 in the locals
5-3 MeTV
5-4 ThisTV
5-45 KSTC 45 which Dish carries on channel 45 (their old location) in the locals
41-1 Ion (same as the national feed but in 720p)
41-2 Qubo
41-3 IonLife

One the guide is off by an hour (guide shows east coast time when it should be Central)
23-2 CoolTV

no this is for channels that the guide shows "digital service" instead of actual guide info

Here in Minneapolis we have a bunch of them...sad part is Dish carries 2 of them on the locals

That's exactly what my guide shows. 19-00 is the SD version of KTYX from Tyler that DISH offers. It's guide info is correct. 19-01 (the OTA HD version I have with my antenna) still shows Digital Service. It's the only main local I have with this issue.

Also, since this includes subchannels as well, 19-02 also shows Digital Service

KLTV is the Tyler ABC station. 07-01 is correct as it shows what's on 07-00. 07-02 and 07-03 show Digital Service

KETK is Tyler's NBC station (NBC 56) and 56-01 shows the correct info, but 56-02 does not and shows Digital Service

Last edited:
It is typical but with exceptions that Dish does not show the schedule on sub-channels. You are lucky to have it even show the channel.

It would be nice if you could change the channel number for recording, say in HD, after setting it up on the visible schedule, say in SD. This would be quick work-around for those with only the SD channel in the guide. Dish could call out the schedule once it is available for any channel rather easily, if they wanted to.

-Ken

That's exactly what my guide shows. 19-00 is the SD version of KTYX from Tyler that DISH offers. It's guide info is correct. 19-01 (the OTA HD version I have with my antenna) still shows Digital Service. It's the only main local I have with this issue.

Also, since this includes subchannels as well, 19-02 also shows Digital Service

KLTV is the Tyler ABC station. 07-01 is correct as it shows what's on 07-00. 07-02 and 07-03 show Digital Service

KETK is Tyler's NBC station (NBC 56) and 56-01 shows the correct info, but 56-02 does not and shows Digital Service

whats weird is some of those SHOULD show guide info. According to another site these are the channels that should have a guide for your market
7-01 KLTV TSID 0x0B97, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 8880)
7-02 KLTV2 TSID 0x0B97, Subchannel 02 (DISH Channel 14920)
7-03 KLTV3 TSID 0x0B97, Subchannel 03 (DISH Channel 14921)
9-01 KTRE TSID 0x0B5F, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 8879)
19-01 KYTX TSID 0x0B65, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 8881)
19-02 KYTX2 TSID 0x0B65, Subchannel 02 (DISH Channel 14922)
19-03 KYTX3 TSID 0x0B65, Subchannel 03 (DISH Channel 15394)
51-01 KFXK TSID 0x0B51, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 8883)
51-02 KFXK2 TSID 0x0B51, Subchannel 02 (DISH Channel 15078)
56-01 KETK TSID 0x0B3F, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 8882)
59-01 KERA TSID 0x0AF3, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 6389/8406)

I sent this via PM to Matt with the DIRT team and tried a check switch to force the guide to re-download as he suggested that but it did not fix it.

Interesting that you're showing the sub-channels should be showing guide info. I wonder why I don't see 19-03 OTA?

Dish receivers can receive DTV over the air (either by it being built in or a add-on). Since the 2nd generation of digital receivers, all digital receivers (other than DISH) receive and can display EPG. This is nothing that DISH has to send for the sub channels. The receivers have to get that information tied to the guide. Probably a very simple item.. IF GuideIno(ThisStation)="Digital Service" then GuideInfo(ThisStation) = OTAReceiver(thisStation).GuideInfo. In other worlds, if this stations guide info is "Digital Service" then use the program guide from the PSIP of this digital over the air station. I just do not know how the FCC allows this since they REQUIRE it for digital receivers.

Dish Network satellite boxes are primarily SATELLITE boxes, NOT OTA converters, nor OTA DVR's nor HDTV's. The FCC rule does NOT apply to SAT boxes. This is how Dish is able to do--or NOT-do what it should. However, the old Dish TVPal, the now re-branded Channel Master DVR, all digital OTA converters and HDTV's must comply because they primarily tune to digital OTA. Sorry, but Dish Network satellite STB's are primarily for Satellite, not OTA viewing. A loophole, indeed.

However, as a solution, Dish should just allow the use of the PSIP upon subscription to LIL's for the multi-plxed channels. I have a feeling that the lack of guide data for many OTA digital multiplex is the guide data file being massively huge since that is the only way Dish is providing guide data (Channel ID seems to be form PSIP). They may be working on it, but they could at least give us the option or PSIP for multiplex or tell us they are working on the issue. The current LIL guide became really huge years ago, and many STB's wold time-out before the file could finish loading from the sat. Very bad times those were. Eventually, Dish compressed the file in order to send it down in a timely fashion. I suspect with a lot of Markets with a ton of OTA (L.A. has at least 120 OTA channels. Now multiply that by how many DMA's?) this is really bulging the file and Dish may be working on ways to compress it even more so it won't take hours to download. Just my guess.

Last edited:
I sent this via PM to Matt with the DIRT team and tried a check switch to force the guide to re-download as he suggested that but it did not fix it.
its a major glitch in the dish system...been there tried that. Have 3 stations that should show guide info...2 dont and one is off by an hour

Interesting that you're showing the sub-channels should be showing guide info. I wonder why I don't see 19-03 OTA?
try and manually add the station. I know sometimes when I scan on my 211 it misses one station. Go into the locals option (menu 6-8...at least on the 211). Select "add channel" and put in 18 (which is the actual channel for KYTX)...and hit OK. It should add 19-3 which is Azteca America

Thanks Ice!!

I'll give that a shot when I get home. I still have to tweak my antenna install so that hopefully I will be able to pull in my local FOX in HD and not lose the CBS station.

So, how do we know when a posted request is seen and forwarded to the appropriate party at Dish?

I tried to also PM the above request to Tony. But, his Inbox appears to be full, and won't accept any more PM's.

With the number of complaints here and DIRT being our excellent support, I'm confident that those at Dish who NEED to know this are very aware of this. Now, whether they are actively working on a solution or if this issue is even a blip on their priority radar - that's an entirely different thing.

Eric

I hope so.

They had listings for the channel that used to carry this programming, 26.2. But, the company that owns the rights to the programming moved it to 38.4 recently. Probably got a better rate to lease the sub-channel from this other station's owners. But, now I have no listings for it.

EDIT: I see Tribune added 38.4 to their Zap2It listings. I sent them an email requesting it just a couple of days ago. Quick action!

Now that Tribune has it, I hope Dish adds it quickly.

So, how do we know when a posted request is seen and forwarded to the appropriate party at Dish?
I hate to say it but good luck....some of us have waited a long time for anything to be changed

I tried to also PM the above request to Tony. But, his Inbox appears to be full, and won't accept any more PM's.

Tony no longer works for Dish

Why not PM your request to any of the DIRT members still here... Tony was the leader, but as mentioned, he is there any more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)