OTA EPG Info Incorrect or Displaying 'Digital Service'

you can try but all they can do is forward it on. I tried that and no change yet on the one big one I would like changed. Here in Minneapolis the ABC station has a Ind. station they own too. ABC was on 5-1 (guide info) and Ind was 45-1. When they added MeTV they moved 45-1 to 5-45 but the guide info wont show now. Dish carries it on 45

so its just a remap option

<frowny face>

Would an email to dishquality do any good?

It can't hurt to send to dishquality, although it did not help me as I've sent my info about missing data to Dish and to the tv station managers in my area and nothing has changed on my end. I sent emails, with the TSID's etc. to both parties two different times and still no new results. This was in March and April of this year (2011).

I sent an email to dishquality, plus a PM to DIRT. Hopefully, somebody will do something. Dish has actually been pretty good with the digital OTA listings for my DMA.

I also sent an email to Tribune Media, and they added it their Zap2It listings within a day or two. That was nice. OTOH, they may have been requests for weeks, from when this channel first went live.

If someone could look at WHKY in the Charlotte, NC area, it would be greatly appreciated. Dish does carry the main channel, but not any of the subchannels. I did try to request it through the station via a local OTA forum, but that was met with quite a bit of hostility. At first they said it was Dish's fault, then they indicated they would get to it when they could. I also sent Dish tech support an email about it, and they responded that I should get a better antenna. :eek: After getting a follow up response of a similar level, I didn't try to pursue it with Dish Tech (via email) further. This was about 2 months ago.

I've made a screenshot of what I'm seeing on the TV.

014-00 (not shown on photo) - Provided via Dish, guide OK
014-01 OTA - repeat of 014-00, OTA guide OK
014-02 RTV - OTA - no guide
014-03 TuffTV - OTA - no guide
014-04 FamilyTV - OTA - no guide

dishepg.jpg

Topcat - Have you checked Zap2It, TitanTV, and TVGuide to see if they list those sub-channels? It's possible that the data isn't available for Dish to use, even if they wanted.

Of course, if the Dish receivers with OTA capabilities would just utilize PSIP data, it would help in these instances. Although, I don't think that OTA PSIP data goes out as many days as Dish EPG data, especially with their DVR's.

Topcat - Have you checked Zap2It, TitanTV, and TVGuide to see if they list those sub-channels? It's possible that the data isn't available for Dish to use, even if they wanted.
Yes the data is available on Zap2It. I've been using that to find out what is on.

This is what the WHKY engineer had to say about it on the local forum where I inquired: (from mid October)

They pick up the actual RF Channel if over the air which is converted to a ASI signal (WHKY sends ASI by fiber to them).
Then they set the decoder to pull the required program channel (Normally program #3 for the xx.1 channel, don't ask me to even get into why #3 is the first channel. It's like when you parents told you "that's the way it is")
This is then converted to a SDI signal (Term "Serial Digital" not "Standard Def") This contains NO NO NO PSIP data.
All the signals for the market are then mixed together and sent to the master dish or directv site.
When they uplink the 100's / 1000's of channels to the bird they create a PSIP of there own for everything (Like CNN, Fox News, HBO, and Locals). With the data coming from Tribune Media.
Due to the fact the Dish and Direct receivers do not look at over the air PSIP at all for guide data. (the receivers that scan, do look to resolve OTA channel # / Virtual channel # only because the FCC did require the receiver to do this)

Now the data problem.
WHKY like many other stations just like Bob told you "Our guide data is a compilation of local input and data from the respective network merged together by Decisionmark -Titan TV". (Decisionmark -Titan TV is the data we then push to the OTA transmitters PSIP generator. Remember I told you we are required by the FCC for it to be correct. This data is the only data I would come close to trusting)
Decisionmark -Titan TV information is then sent to Tribune Media to "Hand Input" to there system. We can not load data from the station end like we can with Decisionmark -Titan TV. We have NO control at the Tribune Media level to fix data ourselves. We have to call, or Email them when it does not work like it should. This is even harder for a non major network station (Not ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC)

Let's get back to Direct / Dish PSIP.
Dish/Direct provide a pull log for Tribune to deliver the guide data for all the channels they uplink, plus all the over the air channels they know about. This information is requested by the Dish/Direct folks, so if they fail to request data for a over the air channel Tribune will only send what was requested and that channel will go without guide data on the home receiver.

I know this was a long post, but this is the way things are. TV stations only have full control of the signal OTA. Cable, Sat, Telco...what ever...... they repackage the signal, and we have to work with them. I many cases it takes a little time to make everything work, and it may break again without us doing anything to It. Then we have to fix it again. I guess what I am trying to tell you that when I called Dish Network today about guide data this was WHKY's #1 item with Dish Network. I have no thoughts it was even close to #1 on there list of things to do. If you Dish Network watchers want the guide data provided for you, Email Dish Network. The subscribers to the service have by consumer laws more pull then the TV stations have with the service providers.

Also I looked when I got home tonight. My two Dish Network receivers are SD only. No antenna input for OTA. I will see what I can do to get and HD one to look at for the house.
I didn't pursue it further via this avenue as there was a lot of hostility on that forum that accompanied this response.

Last edited:
Channel 54.2 in August Ga has had ThisTV for some time now but there's no guide info. Can anything be done about this to get the guide info to show?

Rumor has it that tumbleweeds have been seen piling up in front of the door that leads to the department at DISH corporate that would look into a fix for these issues.

I'm just sayin....:D

I posted this elsewhere ,but I'll post it again. Try writing emails to dishquality@echostar.com and tell them about the individual sub channels you are missing guide data for. I became an advocate for my home town and it took several weeks ,sometimes months of emails back and forth to get guide data for them , or a reason why they would not be able to uplink guide info . In my town I got the 4 TBN sub channels uplinked and yesterday the Fox sub channel - Bounce uplinked. The two channels I could not get guide data for, were because of the local broadcaster who refuses to put out even psip data out for DISH to uplink. I like working through this department because they have a proven track record of working with me on video/audio problems as well as the guide info on not just local channels or sub channels, but also regular cable channels and premium channels too. IF you want it fixed , be persistent and write them updating them every week to tell them of the progress or lack there of and they will respond to you. In my case I got a higher up to work with me on the latest addition for Bounce and it took a month or more but I got the guide data uplinked , finally.

Rumor has it that tumbleweeds have been seen piling up in front of the door that leads to the department at DISH corporate that would look into a fix for these issues.

I'm just sayin....:D
I was just going to ask the question, "has anyone gotten these issues fixed lately, i.e. in the past 6+ months ?" !!

I've sent emails to dishquality and to the tv station managers/program managers in my area 3 different times in the past 7 months and still no guide data, on about 75% of my OTA channels and I do not expect it to be up-dated. Three channels are correct.

I've sent emails to dishquality and to the tv station managers/program managers in my area 3 different times in the past 7 months and still no guide data, on about 75% of my OTA channels and I do not expect it to be up-dated. Three channels are correct.
Have you checked Zap2It, TitanTV, and TVGuide to see if they list those sub-channels? It's possible that the data isn't available for Dish to use, even if they wanted.

Have you checked Zap2It, TitanTV, and TVGuide to see if they list those sub-channels? It's possible that the data isn't available for Dish to use, even if they wanted.

Yes, I have checked and TitanTv and Zap2It have all the channels and sub-channels listed and TV Guide has most of them and the channels look to be correct on all three services.

Until someone from Dish confirms that they (Dish) will truly work on these, the thread, IMO, needs locked. It can be temporary, of course, but there's no point in people continuing to add reports thinking it will get fixed.

Until someone from Dish confirms that they (Dish) will truly work on these, the thread, IMO, needs locked. It can be temporary, of course, but there's no point in people continuing to add reports thinking it will get fixed.

If possible, could a DIRT member find out if a fix for this issue is being actively pursued? If Dish is not working on a fix and/or it's a low priority for them, I agree with locking the thread for now.

Eric

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)