OTA EPG Info Incorrect or Displaying 'Digital Service'

I almost hate to resurrect a long (and getting nowhere with results) thread, but I figure this was better than creating a new one. I don't know if this has been mentioned in this long thread, but I made an interesting discovery today. First, I am a DISH sub with a 722k and I also use its OTA functionality. Ever so often, I'll visit the TiVO website just thinking "what if" I switched. For the first time today, I noticed the TiVO website has TV listings. When I entered my zipcode and selected "OTA Digital", I saw they have program listings for every sub-channel and every translator in my area. Here's the kicker - at the bottom of the TV grid it states that program information provided by Tribune Media...hmm...same provider as DISH. So, if DISH has the same guide data provider, why can't DISH provide the data for the aforementioned channels?

hmm...same provider as DISH. So, if DISH has the same guide data provider, why can't DISH provide the data for the aforementioned channels?

Don't know, but considering D* uses TMS guide data as well, maybe they've decided to be JUST like D*, & refuse to make ANY OTA EPG changes any longer! :mad: :eek:

But at least with E*, ALL of their DVR's w/OTA tuners, can at least scan & pickup up the (missing) sub-channels, but w/out guide info. BUT you can also set manual timers as well - you CAN'T do either of these things w/ANY of DirecTV's HRx2 DVR's... :rolleyes:

STILL doesn't change my frustration, either w/E* NOT doing these updates for SO long... :mad:

Ever so often, I'll visit the TiVO website just thinking "what if" I switched. For the first time today, I noticed the TiVO website has TV listings. When I entered my zipcode and selected "OTA Digital", I saw they have program listings for every sub-channel and every translator in my area.

yup. Tivo shows all guide info even for low powered religious stations info here in Minneapolis

It's very lazy of Dish to omit any channel for which guide info is available from Tribune. Like some of their other guide decisions, it's probably due to a false logic that they can steer you towards Dish programming through guide manipulation. If you have alternatives, you may not feel the need for AEP or AT250, and be willing to drop down to a lower package or something.

Also, PPV and VOD are not collapsable. And, the Hopper and 722K default to My Channels, which means they keep bringing you back to the guide with PPV and VOD.

Last edited:
This lack of OTA guide data except for the major networks has irritated me to no end for years. Worse is that there was a period some time back where this complete guide data showed up and stayed for several weeks. It was great while it lasted, but went back to "digital service" and we've never been able to get a reason since, though I'm apt to agree with some of the suggestions made here.

No doubt, somebody at Dish thought it might be a good idea to provide something at no cost to them that would help a lot of customers. Then, somebody higher up - my guess is Charles-in-Charge - told him to take it down because they didn't want to make it easier for people to get their programming for free.

It's like owning a restaurant, and not providing free water because it would eat into beverage profits. But, you still give people glasses (OTA tuners).

Well it looks like Hell finally froze over. This week I noticed my manual timers for Metv ota 12.4 stopped working. When I tuned to it there was black screen on 12.4 and 12.3 Mytx. So I checked and my tv tuner also showed black screens, so I decided that the station must be having problems. I went ahead and rescaned my ota stations and guess what I saw? Instead of Mytx on 12.3 , there was Cozi tv and Mytx was on 12.5. Also it now said digital channel instead of the name of the channel like before. I turned the receiver off and went to work and when I came back after 9:00pm , I had OTA GUIDE INFORMATION for Metv and Mytx!!! The bad news was that since Mytx changed to 12.5 from 12.3 , I had Mytx guide information on Cozi tv on 12.3 instead of 12.5. Mytx on 12.5 had no information. So I wrote an email to DISHquality and explained the situation and THANKED them for giving me guide information for Metv ,but the wrong info is on 12.3 Cozi tv. Now it took over 2 years of me begging and emailing both DISH and Echostar to add guide data and when I finally gave up , they did it. I don't know how long it will take to get the correct guide data for Cozi tv and move the Mytx data to the correct channel, but I am hopping it won't be another 2 years. But the great thing is I finally got METV guide data!!!

Mike
It has something to do with 12-3 & 12-4 moving from the low powered stations over to the RF12 station (same as KBMT). SO now on RF12 its 2 HD and 2 SD channels

Dee_Ann mentions it in a OTA thread
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/304706-COZI-TV-now-on-12-3-Beaumont-Texas

zap2it (Tribune) has the wrong info for 12-3 right now.
12-5 & 12-6 are on the low powered stations (RF36 & 43)

Mike
It has something to do with 12-3 & 12-4 moving from the low powered stations over to the RF12 station (same as KBMT). SO now on RF12 its 2 HD and 2 SD channels

Dee_Ann mentions it in a OTA thread
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/304706-COZI-TV-now-on-12-3-Beaumont-Texas

zap2it (Tribune) has the wrong info for 12-3 right now.
12-5 & 12-6 are on the low powered stations (RF36 & 43)

Yes ,I figured they moved Metv and now Cozi tv on to the same transmitter tower as their Abc /NBc station , when I scanned my ota tuner and got 4 channels when it hit 12. The other two 12.5 & 12.6 came in when I reached 43. I only hope that we will get guide data for Cozi tv soon and they put guide data up for Mytx and Telemundo Fox . But to be honest I can get by with just Metv and Cozi tv guide data if that is all DISH will add. I haven't even watched Mytx much in the last few years, because of the lack of guide data ,so it won't matter if they choose not to add it on the low powered stations. Hell, I'm just happy to have Metv guide data!

Thanks for the link to the ota digital forum Iceberg. :)

Last edited:
I didn't see any mentions of it in the thread (or in the search), but my local channel on PSIP 7.3 (RF 32, WITN-TV, Washington, NC) only shows "Digital Service" in the EPG.

They recently changed their 7.3 channel to carry MeTV full time.

5.2 KTTZ is always Digital Service should be PBS create. 28.2 KAMC also shows digital service and it is Bounce TV. 13.2 & 13.3 will not even scan into a 722K. They are Me-TV and KOLD News Now service. There are others but right now they are in the Fox dispute and so even though they aren't Fox they are owned by the company that has it and so do not expect anything to happen until that is over.

Last edited:
Springfield MO DMA. Dish broadcasts Fox KRBK HD on 005-00, with complete program info. But the same station recieved via OTA, Fox KRBK channel 49-1 shows up as "Digital Service".
The CW network is broadcast by Dish as KCZ on 015-00 in standard definition, with complete program info. The same station recieved via OTA is a sub-channel of KSPR, 033-1, and its broadcast as 033-2 in High Definition, and shows up in the guide as "Digital Service".

Is tech support still monitoring this or have they just blown us off? My post is the last one on page 58. Just curious, since Direct TV seems to be able to get the channel info for ALL stations, both satellite and OTA correct.

Nothing has been done for months, if not a year. I've reported this thread to be closed more than once.... I guess it's preferred to let people keep posting :(

Agree. Blowing us off. DIRT members realized that they couldn't get Dish to fix the guide any better than we could.

...since Direct TV seems to be able to get the channel info for ALL stations, both satellite and OTA correct.

Maybe D* might be correct for YOUR market, but they sure as hell haven't been for many others, including ours. Matter of fact, D* has all but TOTALLY stopped updating their OTA (tuner) guides for some time now.
Go peruse the D* forums & they'll tell you the same thing.
AND as already mentioned several times - at least ALL of the E* HD receivers let you scan & at least get the tuners to allow you to watch all the OTA's you can pick up - with or without EPG info!

DIRT isn't blowing us off, it the management that is making them. Some idiot in Dish management decided that if they made subchannels easy to access, We might decide to lower programming packs or cancel add ons like superstations. Personally, I think they should view it as giving us more channels at almost no cost to themselves (as I can't imagine the guide data is pricey).

DIRT isn't blowing us off, it the management that is making them. Some idiot in Dish management decided that if they made subchannels easy to access, We might decide to lower programming packs or cancel add ons like superstations. Personally, I think they should view it as giving us more channels at almost no cost to themselves (as I can't imagine the guide data is pricey).
That is only a theory. Albeit, a reasonable one to conclude.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)