OTA from over 100 miles away.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Matt McLean

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
Desert Hot Springs, CA
Does anyone know of an antenna that will bring in channels from over a hundred miles away and if so, would the Voom box be able to map them?

I live in the Palm Springs, CA area but the is currently only one broadcaster broadcasting HD, and one more coming in may. Otherwise the is no more broadcasting HD yet. I know, I know... they were supposed too... but they're not.

So I want to try and get the LA stations. I don't know the exact distances, but it would interesting if it was possible. Any ideas?

Maybe, but the antenna would have to be so high up in the air to just overcome the curvature of the earth let alone any low lying hills that you would probably have to put a warning beacon on it. :) Now if you live on top of a mountain and the transmitter is on a mountain....well, just maybe.

Seriously, what your attempting is pretty much wasted effort.

yeah hes gonna need an indian medicine man burning incense and chanting stuff too. (no offense to anyone)

Moon bounce????

I hope Walmart is going to sell these real soon, 'cause I need one!!!! :yes

I'm a little worried about the "WAF", given that she'd have to stand out there at night and track the moon :) "OK HONEY...a little faster!...Whoooops...too far...back UP to where you just had it!"

Lob

VOOM will not let you map your reciever for channels outside your market. I tried it. I wanted to get CBS in LA since I have some mountains in my way for CBS and ABC in San Diego.

They said no. It's an FCC thing.

PBHDinSD said:
VOOM will not let you map your reciever for channels outside your market. I tried it. I wanted to get CBS in LA since I have some mountains in my way for CBS and ABC in San Diego.

They said no. It's an FCC thing.

The OTA receiver should be no different than if I put a tower up and connect a big antenna conventionally to a TV. I don't believe the FCC has any say in that. What they do have problems with a satellite or cable service delivering stations outside your viewing area for a fee.

I personally do not view the OTA side of the Voom receiver as something I pay a service fee for - it is just there. Voom does nothing with the signal, they never touch it directly. It is simplay an antenna on my roof, connected to a receiver and TV in my living room - picking up stations directly. Voom is not delivering it to my house.

I have heard that the next firmware release will allow you to map your own OTA stations - thus getting Voom out of the middle of it - then you can map and receive all that you want within technical limitations...

Matt
Anything is doable when you have a will . The question is how much are you ready to spend to erect a tower and have other specialized equipment.

As to channel mapping on Voom, you can get a pretty good HD OTA tuner for around $400 that's more powerful than the one in the Voom receiver that works off of the scanning principle.

Ahh! It's probably not going to work anyway the LA CBS station is 114 miles away. Wonder why antennaweb lists this station if it is not possible? Unless the transmitter pretty high up??

Sean says the next software update will be this month and will include OTA scanning and a fix for the snow when changing channels if your in native mode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)