OTA Help with correct Antenna

lovemymac

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 17, 2007
I am in the KC metro area. Specifically Gardner, ks which is just south west of the metro area.

currently i have a 4 bay channel master antenna on a 10 foot poll. We have a ranch style home and the antenna is mounted about 4 feet above the house. There is nothing in the way close anyway. We are on a slight hill. The way the antenna points NE and there is nothing in the direct line of sight. There is a small airport about 2 miles away.

The antenna is not pre amped.

when i go to antennaweb.org it says
Antenna
Type Call Sign Channel Network City State Orientation Miles From
yellow - uhf KMCI-DT 38.1 IND LAWRENCE KS 59° 23.3
* red - uhf KCTV-DT 5.1 CBS KANSAS CITY MO 43° 24.9
* red - uhf KCWE-DT 29.1 CW KANSAS CITY MO 47° 28.1
* red - uhf KSHB-DT 41.1 NBC KANSAS CITY MO 59° 23.3
* red - uhf KSMO-DT 62.1 MNT KANSAS CITY MO 49° 30.3
* red - uhf KPXE-DT 50.1 ION KANSAS CITY MO 54° 25.7
* red - vhf KMBC-DT 9.1 ABC KANSAS CITY MO 47° 28.1
* blue - uhf KCPT-DT 19.1 PBS KANSAS CITY MO 49° 29.6
* violet - uhf WDAF-DT 4.1 FOX KANSAS CITY MO 42° 24.4
* violet - uhf KSNT-DT 27.1 NBC TOPEKA KS 289° 50.1
* violet - uhf KTKA-DT 49.1 ABC TOPEKA KS 281° 55.5

Now according to this i should not be picking up anything with just a 4 bay not amped.

I have dish network and this antenna is ran through a diplexer then once inside it is ran through the dish provided diplexer again and into the back of the receiver. I get good signal on KCTV and KSHB both are around 80-85. KMBC channel 9 i cant get. But i can get WDAF FOX with about 80 signal.
The others come and go. But the problem is i lose signal when it gets windy or raining. Plus i would like to get the other channels i cant get now.

What can you guys recommended for this situation?

I thought about a CM 8 bay but did not know if thats much better then what i have now.

I am in the KC metro area. Specifically Gardner, ks which is just south west of the metro area.

currently i have a 4 bay channel master antenna on a 10 foot poll. The antenna is not pre amped.

I have dish network and this antenna is ran through a diplexer then once inside it is ran through the dish provided diplexer again and into the back of the receiver. I get good signal on KCTV and KSHB both are around 80-85. KMBC channel 9 i cant get. But i can get WDAF FOX with about 80 signal.

What can you guys recommended for this situation?

Your ABC station, KMBC-DT, is on VHF channel 7. Your 4221 is UHF only. You could add a Y10-7-13 for 7.

Diplexing causes some loss. Have you tried a separate line for the antenna?

no i have not but i could run a full line in. I want to just have one antenna up. But i want one that is stronger so i dont lose channels when it gets really windy.
I also would like to get the other channels im missing as well as VHF 7. I tried a pre amp once but i think it was to powerful as i lost everything when i put it up.

All those channels are less than 30 miles away and basically in the same direction, except the last 2 which are too far away for your antenna..

Do you have the right side of your antenna pointing toward the towers..

Try running a separate RG6 cable from your antenna directly to your TV, than see what happens..

What preamplifier did you try..

The wind is moving your antenna too much.. Maybe, you need a different style antenna and an 8 bay would move even more, I'd think..

Just some ideas..

yea i am facing right. I use to install these and satellite dishes. I am thinking about Cm 4248 to see what happens.

I dont know what preamp i had. it was a wingard. It was a VHF/UHF high gain i know that.

Wind has very little effect on antenna performance unless it causes enough yaw that the antenna is no longer pointing toward the source, or your location is so poor that it moves in and out of a hot spot.

At high frequencies antenna movement is a negligible factor in signal loss.

Lovemymac
I am 22 miles east of the city and I get all the channels and all their subs perfectly. This is with a 15 year old antenna partially blocked by a hill. Before the HD TV, channel 41 was really bad(analog).
This antenna is run thur a 4way 10db. amp, then to the digital conn. on the set.
I would try a separate cable.....ant -to-set......

Lovemymac
I am 22 miles east of the city and I get all the channels and all their subs perfectly. This is with a 15 year old antenna partially blocked by a hill. Before the HD TV, channel 41 was really bad(analog).
This antenna is run thur a 4way 10db. amp, then to the digital conn. on the set.
I would try a separate cable.....ant -to-set......

What Amp are using? I seem to just not be getting ABC now. The others i dont know what happened but they are coming in better. I am still going to run a sep line

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts