OTA local look better than same locals on Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Falcon195

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 23, 2018
Ohio
I have been comparing my local channels OTA and with Dish. And the OTA locals look better than the same locals on Dish.
Is this the same others have been experiencing ?
Is there a reason this would be ?

I have been comparing my local channels OTA and with Dish. And the OTA locals look better than the same locals on Dish.

The OTA stations are raw feeds recieved directly from your broadcast station. These can be up to 19.38mbps. Depending on how Dish receives your locals, they are often recompressed to fit on a transponder with many other locals, then rebroadcast over satellite to your location.

The method Dish uses to receive your locals varies- sometimes they have their own OTA antenna they use to pick them up, sometimes they have a fiber feed direct from the station.

It depends on many things. For the Columbus, Ohio market all of my network channels have several sub channels. Thus the broadcaster has to divide the OTA signal among the different channels. My family can not see much difference between the Dish OTA and the Dish Satellite channel on my Sony XBR-65X900E television.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It depends on many things. For the Columbus, Ohio market all of my network channels have several sub channels. Thus the broadcaster has to divide the OTA signal among the different channels. My family can not see much difference between the Dish OTA and the Dish Satellite channel on my Sony XBR-65X900E television.

How does Fox look on your receiver, not the OTA? There's ongoing complaints that Fox in Columbus looks terrible

I would say WTTE Fox 28 Columbus looks poor OTA also. Especially compared to WRGT in Dayton.

Top photo is WRGT, bottom is WTTE
CC7141AC-EED7-40EB-B231-FBE9A176D61F.jpeg
532E77F0-F499-4EA1-BA24-290CB9EBF741.jpeg

How does Fox look on your receiver, not the OTA? There's ongoing complaints that Fox in Columbus looks terrible

HipKat, you are correct that the Dish Satellite WTTE Fox 28-00 picture looks very grainy. I guess I had not noticed that because I don’t normally watch much programming on Fox. There is a very noticeable difference in picture quality between the Satellite Fox 28-00 and the OTA Fox 28-01.

HipKat, you are correct that the Dish Satellite WTTE Fox 28-00 picture looks very grainy. I guess I had not noticed that because I don’t normally watch much programming on Fox. There is a very noticeable difference in picture quality between the Satellite Fox 28-00 and the OTA Fox 28-01.

That was my experience too. Fox 28. I couldn't remember the channel number

Reactions: comfortably_numb

I'm in the Columbus, Ohio market and most of the locals are comparable OTA vs. on Dish. The one exception is Fox (WTTE, channel 28) - the Dish seems blurred compared to OTA. A good number of the Buckeye football games were broadcast on Fox this season and that's where I really noticed the difference.

My OTA video quality is general better than Dish here, via translators.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)