OTA Module headache

I was able to get my OTA antenna installed for $0 and overall it works very well. There are a couple guide issues, but I'm willing to overlook those since they're not with the Big 4 networks....
As I was probably posting my other posts, our Local ABC is off my Dish. So, maybe getting an OTA maybe the smart thing to get/do. I live like I said before, 45 Minutes to an Hour away from most of my Local Channels out of Terre Haute, Indiana. I cancelled getting an OTA, so now with my ABC taken off of my lineup due to conflicts with ABC and Dish may not sound so bad.

How far away are your Local Channels from where you live? I am about 45 Minutes to an Hour Away. You argue a good point, and I might just want to reconsider doing the OTA. My only hang up with getting the OTA, is that next summer the Olympic Games are on NBC, and I want to make sure that I can see it!!!!
I think for most stations we are between 20 and 35 miles away. Maybe try to get yourself a decent antennae and see if the stations pull through your tv set before you take the plunge and buy the OTA adapter. Just make sure the antennae can be returned in case it doesn't get you the channels you need/ want.

I have 2 HWS & both have the usb ota tuner. One is the air version, while the other is the "dish" version.
Both work about the same. I still have the "acquiring signal" pop up on occasion. Seems like that occurs mostly
when I key in the station directly. Have also noticed that when watching the same channel for a while, I get the acquiring signal notice.
Pretty irritating when that happens. Shouldn't happen at all if the signal strength shown is correct. All of my ota channels show
a signal strength of at least 90

Does anyone know if stations "tinker" with their power output? I find it odd that some of my UHF OTAs will show a signal strength of 85 for a couple of days and then the next couple of days it's 72, breaking up and unwatchable. And the reverse happens too...my CW station was 74 and unwatchable most of the time for the past couple of weeks and sometime over the holidays it changed and now the signal is 90 and steady. What's strange is the VHF stations are always the same...almost 100 and rock steady except when there's lightning around

Does anyone know if stations "tinker" with their power output? I find it odd that some of my UHF OTAs will show a signal strength of 85 for a couple of days and then the next couple of days it's 72, breaking up and unwatchable. And the reverse happens too...my CW station was 74 and unwatchable most of the time for the past couple of weeks and sometime over the holidays it changed and now the signal is 90 and steady. What's strange is the VHF stations are always the same...almost 100 and rock steady except when there's lightning around
That can happen with inversions in the atmosphere and multipath issues. Leaves on trees can also be an issue.

Can anyone actually record ota on the HWS? Every time I set a recording it shows in the scheduled list but never records.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    226.7 KB · Views: 206
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 214
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 200
Same here. When I rescan the ota the info is always screwed up until the overnight update.

OTA here, I gave up on trying to get a decent OTA guide. It got messed up a couple years back and all of our OTA Nets have the wrong channel info. I have a Fire Stick, so I broke down and bought a Recast with a a free 2 week OTA guide that is accurate. With that messed up OTA guide on my vip211k it is hard to know what is on and trying to DVR it. The Recast has a built in 500GB HDD too. It works for my OTA.

I’ve had that signal trouble on one channel for the last 6 months. Signal constantly bouncing all over the place going from 75-100 range 24/7 even dropping down to 0 for a second and my DISH picture freezing. After using a new Air TV and DISH adapter also messaging the chief engineer who was no help the signal has finally been a rock solid 100 since 2/23/2020. No matter what the weather all my other locals were at 100 24/7. I live 4 miles from the towers with an indoor Channel Master Flatenna. Fingers crossed it stays this way.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: TheKrell
Well it’s confirmed. A snow storm with strong winds on 2/27/2020 started messing up the signal on the same channel and now currently signal strength is bouncing from 77-92 range. Nothing changed on my end proving the station is the problem. I don’t know why this one channel has this problem because all 5 with sub channels are rock solid at 100. 5 months I have communicated the problem with this station. I have given up. They don’t care.

Well it’s confirmed. A snow storm with strong winds on 2/27/2020 started messing up the signal on the same channel and now currently signal strength is bouncing from 77-92 range. Nothing changed on my end proving the station is the problem. I don’t know why this one channel has this problem because all 5 with sub channels are rock solid at 100. 5 months I have communicated the problem with this station. I have given up. They don’t care.

[/QUOTE]
It does not confirm there is a problem with the station. There are many potential problems that could cause this, that are not caused by the station. Your indoor antenna is very susceptible to multipath, RFI is also a possibility. If it is operating right on the threshold any glitch can kill the picture. The engineer has more important things to do, pretty dismal rabbitears report for Erie, PA, which station is having problems? RabbitEars.Info

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts