OTA question

Doc6666

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Colorado
Just a question on OTA. If the fox locals problem happens, will the OTA info go through to record?

I ask that because I have 100 on the OTA and will the OTA provide the programming info or will I have to do a manual timer for the fox programming?

My guess is that the programming will still be there. Right now, they provide programming for OTA channels that they don't provide by dish, like PBS. They use the tribune services for their guide, so I don't think tribune itself would be affected by this.

My guess is that the programming will still be there. Right now, they provide programming for OTA channels that they don't provide by dish, like PBS. They use the tribune services for their guide, so I don't think tribune itself would be affected by this.

+1:up

Theoretically, the guide data could go away. Dish only provides guide data for OTA stations when they carry the same station via satellite. I'm sure most people have some local OTA stations (small stations, low-power stations, etc) that Dish doesn't carry and show up as "Digital Service" in their guide.

That said, Dish could, and would hopefully, keep the guide data so that those with OTA setups won't lose anything (or be less convenienced).

That's not true. They carry the guide data for all locals, including subs for the major networks.

No they don't. Dish doesn't carry our TBN stations and so we don't get guide info for them from Dish. We have several others also that Dish doesn't carry and we don't get guide info for.

Having been through this before when we lost our local ABC affiliate during a dispute. You will have to set manual timers. Dish will overlay their "important info press select to read more" slate into the guide info instead of the current programming info.

You will see guide info on the channel a few days out, but it will disappear into the special slate and the timer won't fire unless you have made a manual timer to record at the time and channel on that day.

No they don't. Dish doesn't carry our TBN stations and so we don't get guide info for them from Dish. We have several others also that Dish doesn't carry and we don't get guide info for.

Having been through this before when we lost our local ABC affiliate during a dispute. You will have to set manual timers. Dish will overlay their "important info press select to read more" slate into the guide info instead of the current programming info.

You will see guide info on the channel a few days out, but it will disappear into the special slate and the timer won't fire unless you have made a manual timer to record at the time and channel on that day.

Whatever problems you may have in your market, I stated in MY MARKET they do provide the data for ALL available OTA stations. Don't make blanket judgements based on one area which may in itself be an anomaly. While they may go out of their way to delete the guide date for OTA, it may be more trouble for them than it's worth. Remember, there is a difference between the OTA and the locals supplied by Dish.

Local guide data is supplied by dish IF they carry that channel. Not for all available OTA stations. If they carry the OTA channel in your market or an adjacent market the guide data will be there. I have a channel that is not in my market, but that I can receive OTA. Dish just added that channel in the adjacent market locals so now instead of the guide showing digital service, I now have guide data.

Whatever problems you may have in your market, I stated in MY MARKET they do provide the data for ALL available OTA stations. Don't make blanket judgements based on one area which may in itself be an anomaly. While they may go out of their way to delete the guide date for OTA, it may be more trouble for them than it's worth. Remember, there is a difference between the OTA and the locals supplied by Dish.

No problem, but you made a blanket statement and didn't say your market specifically.

My fault I didn't specifically specify the OTA local. I am 99% sure you will have to set a manual timer, as the OTA guide data is populated from the guide data Dish provides for their version of the locals. I don't feel like searching for it, but it happened in all the Albritton markets where channels were pulled. The OTA guide data disappears to be replaced with a slate saying this programming provider has pulled this station etc.....

It was stated in the uplink thread, that slates went up and are hidden, ready to replace the FOX O&O stations, if and when Fox decides to pull the plug around the 1st.

I get my locals OTA, period. I have had locals removed from my pkg. saves me $4 a month. While all my 36 local stations/sub-stations are listed in the guide after scaning for OTA (VIP211K w/OTA module), it is only the 'digital service' posted, no programing offered in the guide. Of course, here in the Phoenix market, PBS is SD on dish as well as another independant station (45) that carries many of our local Suns basketball games, only availabe in HD OTA, not from E*.
Concidering how it works now, in my market, I'm guessing you will lose the programing info in your guide if your local Fox leaves E*. We cetainly no longer recieve any program info in the guide for RSN's , FX, or NatGeo.

I think Dish gets all the locals info, just doesn't display it if you don't have SAT locals. If I'm right, there is no technical reason they couldn't provide the info, but maybe a political one.

Frankly, if they can display them if Fox O&O stations are taken down, they should as it would be a nice service to provide while the gazillionaires battle over it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)