OTA question

shodobe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NorCal
Never really thought about this until the other day I was perusing the menu and came across the app for OTA or something like that. When I opened it up it stated something to the effect I needed some USB dongle or something to use this. So what is it I need to get the OTA channels on the Hopper?

Never really thought about this until the other day I was perusing the menu and came across the app for OTA or something like that. When I opened it up it stated something to the effect I needed some USB dongle or something to use this. So what is it I need to get the OTA channels on the Hopper?

You need the USB OTA dongle. You can purchase it from within your Dish account or on Ebay or Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4X2JHY/?tag=satell01-20

I have a roof antenna that works pretty darn good now. I just have to switch input signals on my TV and get what I need. So this doesn't really do anymore than what I have already?

I have a roof antenna that works pretty darn good now. I just have to switch input signals on my TV and get what I need. So this doesn't really do anymore than what I have already?

It integrates your local channels into the Hopper so you can record them on it's DVR. You will also get program guide information for the channels (if available)

It does a LOT more. Gets you the OTA channels integrated in the Dish guide with full DVR, search and record functionality. No input switching needed.

Okay, maybe down the road because I get local channels already and I don't record anything on those channels at all, nothing redeeming. I use the antenna as a back up when I lose signal on the dish so If I could get the dongle at a fair price I guess it would be something to play with. Thanks

OTA channels have subchannels that DISH doesn't carry and some of that programming might be interesting. I have one on METV that comes on at 4am DVRing it makes it watchable at my convience.

The ota module works OK. However it does have multipath issues if your locals are very close to your locations. If the locals are farther out, it works great

I'll bet the OTA module is better than what is in your TV.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The ota module works OK. However it does have multipath issues if your locals are very close to your locations. If the locals are farther out, it works great

I haven't had any problem with mine? I'm two and a half miles from all of the city's antennas. They are on South Mountain here in Phoenix and I'm at the foot of the mountain up the road a little way.

I did a chat with Dish when they were threatening to drop one of my locals and got them to send me the USB OTA adapter for free.

Question with the Hopper and OTA dongle, I currently have a VIP622 and am planning my Hopper upgrade. I have my antenna fed into the 622 so I get both Dish locals plus the OTA stuff. During bad weather when the dish goes out, I lose the ability to get to the OTA channels via the 622, does the Hopper work the same way? I get the searching for signal screen for the sat, but can't get to the guide to just watch an OTA.

Just curious.
Thanks
Bruce

Question with the Hopper and OTA dongle, I currently have a VIP622 and am planning my Hopper upgrade. I have my antenna fed into the 622 so I get both Dish locals plus the OTA stuff. During bad weather when the dish goes out, I lose the ability to get to the OTA channels via the 622, does the Hopper work the same way? I get the searching for signal screen for the sat, but can't get to the guide to just watch an OTA.

Just curious.
Thanks
Bruce

I'm not sure if you can get to OTA if the sat signal is out, but you can put a splitter in and send the OTA signal to your TV for situations like these (bad weather, etc)

I'm not sure if you can get to OTA if the sat signal is out, but you can put a splitter in and send the OTA signal to your TV for situations like these (bad weather, etc)

You can access the OTA channels if sat signal goes out. It can be a little difficult sometimes because not all functions are available but it can be done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts