OTA Recordings Breaking Up

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JSheridan

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2008
USA
The last 2 days, since the latest updates on both HWS S338 and H2K S428 all the OTA recordings show pixelation and sound break up. Live OTA plays fine, paused/delayed OTA plays fine but recordings break up.

Anybody else?

I notice the same thing. Set a Sat timer for a daily OTA recording in parallel last night and both played back glitch free. Back to OTA only tomorrow and will post the result.

Hopefully Dish is aware of this problem and gets us a quick fix. I already had a customer call to report this, actually they called to complain about it. :rant:

WOW, I am glad I found this thread this morning. I am having this issue too since S338 and started troubleshooting yesterday. It is an intermittent issue for me. Happening on two Hoppers only, my third Hopper is working OK. Live TV is OK, only recordings. My OTA signal goes to an amp, then a 3-way splitter, and then to the three Hoppers. I thought maybe the 3-way splitter was going crazy so I replaced it to no results. Next I was going to swap around the OTA dongles to see if possibly I have two bad OTA dongles. From there I thought maybe the OTA amp was causing the issue. My fourth Hopper has rabbit ears and not sure if it has the same issue. In Kids room and I think he hardly ever uses OTA. Guess I will hold off troubleshooting for now since it appears to be an issue with S338 update.

I thought it was a problem on my end as well because the recordings look like they have poor signal. But after checking everything out and finding live OTA OK and paused/delayed OTA OK I narrowed it down to only the recordings. It's also happening on a HWS and a regular Hopper on different antennas. Every OTA recording on both machines have been trashed since the software update. Then I had a customer call with the same problem so I came here.

I wish my issue wasn't so intermittent, makes troubleshooting harder. We record six local programs during the day Mon-Fri. I had already set timers on all three Hoppers to record the six local channels OTA and satellite to help me do extensive troubleshooting next week while the wife is at work. I think I will still play around with it some anyway even though it appears to be an issue with the new software update. Will post again if I discover anything.

Add me to the list. Have a recording from a couple of hours after the new SW update this morning. Nearly, if not unwatchable.

This is not on our known product issues list so I'm going to need account numbers, software versions and a couple of examples (show and call letters) of events this happened on. Please send me these in a PM so I can get this escalated.

Add me to the list. Have a recording from a couple of hours after the new SW update this morning. Nearly, if not unwatchable.

This is one reason why I have two Hoppers that have identical series timers set for all our favorite programs. The only difference between the two Hoppers is one has local timers set with OTA and the other Hopper local channels are satellite timers. I like to have back ups. You never know when a DVR gets a headache or heart attack. I have been doing this since way back when we were with Cable TV service. Their DVRs had more heart attacks than headaches. Helps keep the Mrs happy if you know what I mean! I sure thought I had a major issue to figure out why the OTA recordings were so screwed up but live TV was OK. Kinda glad it is a software issue, but a little sad too. I am sure it will be fixed, SOON!! :confused:

This is not on our known product issues list so I'm going to need account numbers, software versions and a couple of examples (show and call letters) of events this happened on. Please send me these in a PM so I can get this escalated.

OK, will test all day Monday and PM you a detailed list on Tuesday. I will need an email address for you since we can't attach files in PMs. Thanks Zach

Everyone who is having this problem please send DIRT the information so we can get this fixed ASAP.

Of all the bugs that have come and....this is by far the worst. For the first time I'm genuinely Ps'd.
Yes, I will play the game...send Zach the info.
PS, just checked one from 5p, a sub channel this time..same story.

Last edited:
This is the update I promised. The glitches are back on the OTA recording today. Guess I will change the timer to SAT while Dish figures it out.

This is interesting since my breakups on live and recorded OTA seem to have been fixed by this update. Granted there are a ton of variables here and I've only watched two recorded programs and watching live now and not one breakup.

Count me in on the list as well. Though I noticed it on live OTA. The same antenna feeding the OTA tuners on my TVs themselves work just fine. Seems to have started in the past couple days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)