OTA Recordings Breaking Up

I'm having the problem too. I only record a couple of shows with the OTA so I didn't notice it at first. Interestingly mine was on CW as well.

I'm having the problem too. I only record a couple of shows with the OTA so I didn't notice it at first. Interestingly mine was on CW as well.

Don't forget to report it to DIRT. Maybe the more reports the quicker the resolution.

All my CW shows are crap now too. I had two recordings tonight on the CW and both were pixelating and audio hick ups. To think I "moved" home to take advantage of my home town CW channel now that it is in full hd. Leave it to DISH to screw up the hopper software that makes all my CW shows crap now. I know this is a stupid question ,but why does every software update break something else that was working before? I've had DISH over 17 years now and it seems like it is ALWAYS like this with every update: one step forward and two steps back.:rolleyes:

All my CW shows are crap now too. I had two recordings tonight on the CW and both were pixelating and audio hick ups. To think I "moved" home to take advantage of my home town CW channel now that it is in full hd. Leave it to DISH to screw up the hopper software that makes all my CW shows crap now. I know this is a stupid question ,but why does every software update break something else that was working before? I've had DISH over 17 years now and it seems like it is ALWAYS like this with every update: one step forward and two steps back.:rolleyes:

I hear ya. It is as if there is not enough man power working the issues and the ones working them aren't talking to each other so things overlap and get screwed up. Then who ever is testing the software updates is missing the bugs. I think there should be testers (regular customers) in every DMA to test the software updates before they are beamed out to all customers. Something is not right someplace. Who designs and develops the software for Dish's DVRs? I wonder if they are involved helping to de-bug things.

I hear ya. It is as if there is not enough man power working the issues and the ones working them aren't talking to each other so things overlap and get screwed up. Then who ever is testing the software updates is missing the bugs. I think there should be testers (regular customers) in every DMA to test the software updates before they are beamed out to all customers. Something is not right someplace. Who designs and develops the software for Dish's DVRs? I wonder if they are involved helping to de-bug things.

Even though there are testers -some regular customers in a testers group- it is mainly the average DISH customer, US, who gets to test the software. Trial and error seems to be the way the software writers create their software changes. They want to add a new feature or fix something broken before in earlier software and do so , and it breaks something else. If anything stops working with a new software release , it should not be released to the public until they can figure out what is causing it. IF they could do that one thing , it would increase the joy for everyone involved with DISH. Don't Rush software updates till they have been thoroughly tested before hand.

I was getting the break up on only one of my HWS's last Sat. Checked cable connections and a couple were slightly loose. Tightened them up and the break up went away.

Yep, a plug pull didn't help. It does seem intermittent. Some shows ok, and other's bad. Signal strength shows max'd. I've only seen the problem on one of my HWS's. I'll double check the coax connections, and might try swapping the tuners.

If Dish in Denver wants to try.... Try the channel 9 news in the morning (between 5 and 7). This one is giving me a lot of trouble.

I'm also experiencing breakup on live TV for MeTV and CW for the Portland, OR OTA locals. My breakup occurs mostly on my Joey box. Occasionally I see breakup on the Hopper. In the past I never had any issues. When using my own TV antenna directly connected to the TV the signals are received perfectly. I have a clear line of sight from my house to the Portland transmitter sites.

Regards,
Alan Rovner

Even though there are testers -some regular customers in a testers group- it is mainly the average DISH customer, US, who gets to test the software. Trial and error seems to be the way the software writers create their software changes. They want to add a new feature or fix something broken before in earlier software and do so , and it breaks something else. If anything stops working with a new software release , it should not be released to the public until they can figure out what is causing it. IF they could do that one thing , it would increase the joy for everyone involved with DISH. Don't Rush software updates till they have been thoroughly tested before hand.

Do you think the regular testers are missing things? Or, do you think maybe testers are reporting bugs but the software gets released anyway? What is hard to accept is new minor things are added like the Reset Receiver menu and the bugs linger on and on and on. Also, it is sad when the engineers eliminate a neat thing like the little S for the saved PTAT recordings. I know working software issues is not easy but they could get better qualified folks or more of them if that is the problem. Just hard to understand sometimes.

I was getting the break up on only one of my HWS's last Sat. Checked cable connections and a couple were slightly loose. Tightened them up and the break up went away.

Do you actually think all of our wires came loose at the same time of the software download. And because the problem is intermittent there's a chance you will see it again and it was just a coincidence that you think you 'fixed' it.

I just said what seemed to work for me. I had the same program recording on both my HWS. The one with the loose connections had picture break up, the other one did not. Both have 338. Just my observation in my house.

Having the same problem since last software update. Hopper w/Sling. Getting the problems on CBS 5 and KTVU 2. Live OTA seems fine but recordings are bad majority of the time.

-Mike

I only record a few things OTA, but everything that has been recorded OTA since I got S428 on my original Hopper is trash. I sent the details to ZachS last night. I sure hope this thing gets fixed fast. Otherwise, I am essentially out one tuner. When I first saw the problem I thought I had a hardware failure or bad connection somewhere. I checked all the connections and they were fine. Then I thought to check SatelliteGuys to see if maybe it was related to the software update, and sure enough I see we are all suffering together. I guess misery loves company.

I've had the same problem since the last update. Mine would lose sound then not come back. I'd switch to another recorded program and get about 5 minutes in and it would start. Choppy pictures, pixelation, sound cut out, etc. So, I decided to see if the other hopper was doing it. Switched over to it, watched a ptat and it was fine. Switched back after that and have had no problems since. It made the whole system useless. I dont have ehd or Ota. It has worked perfectly now for 2 days. I tried reboots and all that but this is definitely an update issue. I was thinking maybe memory allocation in ram but who knows?

Do you think the regular testers are missing things? Or, do you think maybe testers are reporting bugs but the software gets released anyway? What is hard to accept is new minor things are added like the Reset Receiver menu and the bugs linger on and on and on. Also, it is sad when the engineers eliminate a neat thing like the little S for the saved PTAT recordings. I know working software issues is not easy but they could get better qualified folks or more of them if that is the problem. Just hard to understand sometimes.

I think that they weigh the reported bugs and say :Oh well , only 3 out of 10 reported this bug , will release the software anyway and if it there are more problems will work on it in the next software release. Which means we all get to suffer till they get around to fixing it. The main thing is that when they want to push a new feature , they will put it out come hell or high water and all the rest be damned. That is how I've seen it done since I've been with DISH this last 17 years.

I think that they weigh the reported bugs and say :Oh well , only 3 out of 10 reported this bug , will release the software anyway and if it there are more problems will work on it in the next software release. Which means we all get to suffer till they get around to fixing it. The main thing is that when they want to push a new feature , they will put it out come hell or high water and all the rest be damned. That is how I've seen it done since I've been with DISH this last 17 years.

I wish there was some kinda quality control section to help clear things up. I remember years ago some car manufactures would kinda let the customer be the quality control. All kinds of problems for the customer. They have changed that and now put out much better quality products.

I sent my info to Zach but have found that I am having issues with all my ota locals in the Charlottesville DMA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts