OTA sharing same cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dancrouse

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Kennesaw, GA
Is it possible to bring the OTA signal in over the same cable was the satellite feed using a Slimline dish (SL3SPIG-WNC). I'm thinking about adding an AM-21 to on of my HR-22s.

I diplex OTA with my satellite signal but only after the Power Inserter. This would require 2 wires into the home (1 for DirecTV and one for antenna) but, then you would only have to run 1 wire to the room where your receiver.

Here is my setup.

16m16qd.jpg

The only way I could do it would be to put the diplexer before the power inserter. I'm assuming that won't work. However, I do have another cable from the outside being used for my cable modem. Could I use that cable by diplexing the OTA signal with the comcast signal and then spilting it at the cable modem. Then I would diplexed the OTA side of that into my directv SWS-4 and spilt it at each of the receivers. Would that work?

Last edited:
I diplex OTA with my satellite signal but only after the Power Inserter. This would require 2 wires into the home (1 for DirecTV and one for antenna) but, then you would only have to run 1 wire to the room where your receiver.

Here is my setup.

16m16qd.jpg

Why do you need to use a SWS-2 instead of another diplexer used as a spilter?

A diplexer wouldn't allow me to continue the OTA/DirecTV feed to both of the jacks in that room. The SWS-2 does. Then at either jack, I can have OTA and DirecTV diplexed out.

I understand ... for my purposes, out of the single jack I have in that room and would simply need another diplexer to spilt the signal into the directv HR22 and the other into the AM-21.

Also ... I now think I could move the power inserter. It would be outside, but for the most part protected from the rain under a screen porch.

The only way I could do it would be to put the diplexer before the power inserter. I'm assuming that won't work. However, I do have another cable from the outside being used for my cable modem. Could I use that cable by diplexing the OTA signal with the comcast signal and then spilting it at the cable modem. Then I would diplexed the OTA side of that into my directv SWS-4 and spilt it at each of the receivers. Would that work?

You may even be able to diplex OTA with your DirecTV line. Some diplexers are power passing. I'm not an installer so don't really know All I know is the way I did it and it works just the way I want it to.

Sorry I could be of more assistance.

I understand ... for my purposes, out of the single jack I have in that room and would simply need another diplexer to spilt the signal into the directv HR22 and the other into the AM-21.

Also ... I now think I could move the power inserter. It would be outside, but for the most part protected from the rain under a screen porch.

I wouldn't put the power insterter outside. Perhaps someone else could comment. I'm sorry I can't help more help.

I think I have figured a way to get another cable to my SWS-4. But now I'm confused on how to diplex the OTA signal into my SWS unit.

Here is how the Directv installer left it:

1. The R-6 directv run from the satellite connects to the "IN" port of the SWS
2. The power inserter connects to the red "power pass" out port on the SWS
3. The second port connects to one of my HR-22s
4. The other three ports on the SMS connects to the other receivers

Would I bet able to combine the signals before the SWS with one diplexer or would that cause me power inserter issues?

I combine my OTA and DirecTV before the SWS. Thats how each room gets OTA and DirecTV. In the room, I just diplex out each.

I would try my suggestion above. Put the Power Inserter as close as you can to the dish but, inside the home without other components between if you can (use the 1 diplexer).

diplexing with swm at all is a bad idea because of the frequencies swm uses, it may "work" but there could be interference at almost anytime. if it was regular ka/ku then you could use the bband trick to diplex, but the KA LoBand interfieres with ota.

diplexing with swm at all is a bad idea because of the frequencies swm uses, it may "work" but there could be interference at almost anytime. if it was regular ka/ku then you could use the bband trick to diplex, but the KA LoBand interfieres with ota.

All I can say is, I never ever had a problem. :)

You're getting confused about how the SWM works. On a non-SWM system, Ka-lo is in the same frequency band as OTA. On an SWM system, all the satellite signals are in frequency bands that don't interfere with OTA. The only problem with diplexing OTA on an SWM system is that some diplexers interfere with the 2.3MHz signal between the receivers and the SWM. With the "right" diplexers, OTA and SWM signals coexist quite happily.
Many people, including me, successfully diplex OTA and SWM.

interesting, can you take a picture of this diplexer for me? i didnt think that the swm setup actually changed the frequencys that channels pass on. the swm training course says you cannot diplex with it.

DirecTV officially does not "support" diplexing because of the issues with the 2.3Mhz channel but it works if you choose the right diplexer. The SWM8 multiswitch actually has a built-in diplexer (of course the SWM dish does not).
Most MDU installers who are using diplexing with the SWM seem to use the NAS 9501 but there are lots of people using others. I just use some Radio Shack 16-2567 diplexers I picked up for virtually nothing, and diplex with SWM to my HR20s, H20 and AM21s. People have reported success with other diplexers, and failure with others (I seem to remember the Skywalker ones don't work with SWM).

The frequency allocations for the nine SWM channels are:
1 - 974
2 - 1076
3 - 1178
4 - 1280
5 - 1382
6 - 1484
7 - 1586
8 - 1688
9 - 1790

As you can see, none of them overlap OTA.

There are eight channels that carry the sat signals and one that carries common data (e.g. the guide). When a receiver requests a transponder, the SWM frequency-converts that transponder signal so it occupies one of the eight SWM channel slots, so the frequencies that get sent to the receiver bear no relation to the frequencies that the dish receives.

I guess I can give it a try with the diplexers I have. They are the MCR HP-102 with power pass to one of the ports.

Are the NAS 9501s power-passing? Also, if you used the OTA output of one, do you need to terminate the other side of the diplexer like you would an unused port on a SWS splitter?

Are the NAS 9501s power-passing? Also, if you used the OTA output of one, do you need to terminate the other side of the diplexer like you would an unused port on a SWS splitter?
They are power-passing, see NAS STD-9501 Satellite / Off Air Diplexer Power Passing (STD-9501) | STD-9501 [DIRECTV] | STD-9501 quad combiner off-air combiner STD-9501
75-ohm resistor caps should be used on all open SWM lines and splitter ports, so I guess you would need to terminate the diplexer.. But why would you want to use a diplexer without using the sat port?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Any word on HD locals

Couple Locals added in Indiana WIPB & WSBT-HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)