OTA signal came back after Hopper 3 reboot. Why?

Just curious, what cable did you change?
It's hard to see but their are 3 wires coming out of the antenna amplifier. One is the power. One is a homemade cable segment. The other is a hard wired cable coming out of the amplifier, very thing and cheap.

The only reason I put the cheap cable to the Hopper adapter was because of length. When I took the homemade cat6 cable off the TV and put it on the the Hopper adapter it improved things.

This doesnt adress why changing cables made me have to reboot even with 100 percent signal. But oh well. If there's a faster way to cycle it would be nice to know.
20191012_175910.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JSheridan
It's hard to see but their are 3 wires coming out of the antenna amplifier. One is the power. One is a homemade cable segment. The other is a hard wired cable coming out of the amplifier, very thing and cheap.

The only reason I put the cheap cable to the Hopper adapter was because of length. When I took the homemade cat6 cable off the TV and put it on the the Hopper adapter it improved things.

This doesnt adress why changing cables made me have to reboot even with 100 percent signal. But oh well. If there's a faster way to cycle it would be nice to know. View attachment 141098

I always try turning it off (standby) and back on again before rebooting. For me that fixes a lot of OTA and MultiView 'inconsistencies'. :)

I hate to say it, but the problem may be your antenna amplifier. It might be clipping on a strong local channel which can cause all sorts of issues receiving a good, clean ATSC signal. Have you tried taking it out of your signal path?

I hate to say it, but the problem may be your antenna amplifier. It might be clipping on a strong local channel which can cause all sorts of issues receiving a good, clean ATSC signal. Have you tried taking it out of your signal path?
No. It doesnt work without it even on the TV. It's designed like that.

That's an interesting idea. But this thread isn't about signal. It's about good signal but the Hopper had to be rebooted to show a picture and not complain about not having signal.

I doubt there is an answer to this but it might be an operating system problem. They should be aware of it.

Okay, I know everyone's OTA situation is different. I myself live about 2-3 miles from my local TV towers, so I can't put any amplification in my distribution runs. It also means that I would have a problem trying to pull in the Chicago channels 80 miles away since I can't put in an amplifier.

Okay, I know everyone's OTA situation is different. I myself live about 2-3 miles from my local TV towers, so I can't put any amplification in my distribution runs. It also means that I would have a problem trying to pull in the Chicago channels 80 miles away since I can't put in an amplifier.
That's good to know if I ever move. I'm literally surrounded by mountains. I'm lucky I get any signal from anything.

I did have a channel master filter on the cable but found that causes more dropouts than without it.

I'm also unamplified, and I often have to restart my Hopper 3 even with its older single tuner model to resume OTA. Every few weeks the receiver will decide it doesn't want to see anything OTA. A restart fixes the issue. But, it's highly inconvenient to do so when I have recordings in progress.

C'est la vie.

It's 2019, nearly 2020. How can it be a foreign idea that rebooting something can fix it? Virtually everything I can think of I have had to reboot at one time or another, My Samsung TV's separate connection box, my router, my Sat receiver, computer, .... Chromecast, Fire Stick, I could go on and on.

And no recording, fast forward, go back to see again, etc...

My ViewTV AT-163 does pretty much what I need. Records, fast forward, go back...etc, etc. It even takes USB thumb drives, so I can take the shows easily to any PC or smart tv to play. The Wally I have won’t take thumb drives. I love that little ViewTV box. A lot in a $38 package.

Reactions: TheKrell
My ViewTV AT-163 does pretty much what I need. Records, fast forward, go back...etc, etc. It even takes USB thumb drives, so I can take the shows easily to any PC or smart tv to play. The Wally I have won’t take thumb drives. I love that little ViewTV box. A lot in a $38 package.

The Amazon reviews on that device aren't too great. A few people said to consider a RCA unit from Wal-Mart instead. (I think they meant the DTA880R.) Thanks for the post though. I had no idea OTA DVRs (modified converter boxes) were so cheap and numerous these days.

Reactions: CyberSpock
The Amazon reviews on that device aren't too great. A few people said to consider a RCA unit from Wal-Mart instead. (I think they meant the DTA880R.) Thanks for the post though. I had no idea OTA DVRs (modified converter boxes) were so cheap and numerous these days.
It's something your going to want look into if you unplug. When we move we are probably going to go through with it. They have OTA DVR units like Tablo now that even let you watch remotely.

Im looking forward to the day of the 4K OTA broadcast too

Just spotted this thread.

I've been getting a lot of loss of OTA with 100% signal error messages the last 3-4 months. It has happened on just about all of my OTA channels. When it occurs I can't watch or record anything on the channel until I re-boot the Hopper or re-scan all of the channels. I don't use a signal amplifier because I'm about 12 miles from the towers. With a small Channel Master UHF/VHF antenna on the roof I get 100% signal on all channels even though the signal is split to 4 tv's, the Hopper and 2 stereo receivers. I thought this could be happening because of the impending frequency move by my local stations. I also wondered if my AirTV dual tuner dongle could be going bad??

All the talk about toast and bagels made me hungry:miam

Just spotted this thread.

I've been getting a lot of loss of OTA with 100% signal error messages the last 3-4 months. It has happened on just about all of my OTA channels. When it occurs I can't watch or record anything on the channel until I re-boot the Hopper or re-scan all of the channels. I don't use a signal amplifier because I'm about 12 miles from the towers. With a small Channel Master UHF/VHF antenna on the roof I get 100% signal on all channels even though the signal is split to 4 tv's, the Hopper and 2 stereo receivers. I thought this could be happening because of the impending frequency move by my local stations. I also wondered if my AirTV dual tuner dongle could be going bad??

All the talk about toast and bagels made me hungry:miam
Finally someone who sees what I see. Are you set up to be able to use the TV tuner to compare your picture and signal quality?

In the digital world, there is such a thing as "too much" signal that can cause issues. An amplifier will also amplify the noise floor. A meter on a device is only good for reference to other signals on that device. You can't take a 100% meter on a hopper and say it should be 100% on the TV (or vise versa).

Do all channels show the same symptoms? (breakup, signal loss, etc) Or just certain ones?

For me it's happened on all of my local OTA channels. I've noticed it mainly on the main .1 channels but it's also occurred on the sub channels at times when the main channel is locked up too.

I don't think it's a too much signal problem because I've had the same set up for several years and this issue started this year.

For me it's happened on all of my local OTA channels. I've noticed it mainly on the main .1 channels but it's also occurred on the sub channels at times when the main channel is locked up too.

I don't think it's a too much signal problem because I've had the same set up for several years and this issue started this year.
Signal isn't the issue here if a program can be seen on a TV input but not on the Hopper 3.

I don't know why they don't just display the program and if it is blocky or pixelated so be it. Instead what we get the annoying lost signal popup and have a hard time changing channels because of it, even via the guide.

My guess is it's the OTA dongle going bad.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)