OTA What to do?

smitzinok

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Oklahoma
I can't decide what to do about my OTA.
I've had V* for 5 days now and I love the HD and even the SD quality is not that bad.
My problem is OTA. I have 4 showing up in the on screen guide and even zapit from the V* website shows 5 of them. I checked TitanTV and it shows 2 channels. Antennaweb says "There are no digital stations predicted to serve this location". If I put in an address 2 miles further away from the Digital stations antennaweb shows 1 station avail.

When My installer came he said I can't get any of those from here!
Afer initial install the installer did not even try to get any ota reception. (partially due to a storm comming in), But he came back 2 days later and spent 2 hours trying to get the stations to come in. We ended up getting 5 analog stations only 3 are watchable out of 15 listed.
So Am I wasting my time trying to get voom to do an antenna upgrade?
Being on hold forever and then getting the call back option. Is a Pain!
The digital OTA stations are 50 and 70 miles away.
I still have basic cable with the locals. Costing $17 a month
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

my installer yesterday told me i couldnt get any local channels with the antenna she put up, but i routed the coax directly to my a/b switch along with the sat coax, and i get cbs,nbc,abc, 5 pbs, but no wb, fox or pax which is only 5 miles from me, they didnt know what they were doing at all, and they are digital and hd too, i watched cbs today the golf tournament in high def and 5.1 dd today, it is awesome!!!

smitzinok said:
I can't decide what to do about my OTA.
I've had V* for 5 days now and I love the HD and even the SD quality is not that bad.
My problem is OTA.

First hang in there till the next software upgrade which should include OTA scanning which is something they should have included from the get go.

Secondly, and I'm not sure how you feel about it, but for the relatively low price that antennas can be had for I'd suggest taking things into your own hands. Do some research on OTA antennas and pick something that by spec should work in your area based on transmitting distances and install it yourself.

Be sure to check the VOOM "In Your Area" Forum to see what sort of local reception people are getting in your area. AVS also has an excellent local area forum dedicated to antennas and off-air reception in different locals. If you find what antennas other people are using with success in your area, you can make better recommendations to the installer regarding the replacement antenna to try (which VOOM will pay for up to a certain amount).

Alternatively, as Mr. Biggles suggests, you could simply buy and mount your own -- like Dish Network and DirecTV customers have to do. Excellent antennas can be had in the $25-$40 range.

50-70 miles is still a stretch... you'll probably need a decent preamp, and may still be impacted by wet leaves, etc.

Lob

I think you can email Joe Haskins at Installers Inc directly and tell him the problems your having and he should be able to get someone back out to either install a amp, preamp, or another type of antenna. I would ask Sean Moto about the email address.

jimmykce1 said:
I think you can email Joe Haskins at Installers Inc directly and tell him the problems your having and he should be able to get someone back out to either install a amp, preamp, or another type of antenna. I would ask Sean Moto about the email address.

Joe Harkins is not available anymore. Better to email "Wilt Hildenbrand" wilth@optonline.net.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)