Otahd! Wow!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

igator99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Anyone that can get their locals in HD I highly recommend you do so. I watched the Rams vs. Colts game off of my local Fox and it was just awesome. None of the DirecTV HD channels can compare. Discovery HD is close to the OTA quality. Why are some DirecTV HD channels better than others? What's up with ESPNHD not broadcasting everything in HD?

OTA was worth the battle? I was fighting with it years ago even though my CBS was on low power. There is nothing like a sports event OTA HD!

satellites can only put out so much power/data. so the hd signals need to be re encoded, and compressed to allow directv to put out all the channels they have. cut some quality to increase the quantity. HD lite man.

Brewer4 said:
OTA was worth the battle? I was fighting with it years ago even though my CBS was on low power. There is nothing like a sports event OTA HD!

Yes but I'm puzzled as what battle you are talking about. I have a seven year old big UHF - VHF antenna and their best booster. I live 50 - 60 miles from the transmitters and all I have to do is go out on my deck and turn the antenna an inch or so in either direction to pickup certain stations. The only battle I have is with the NBC affiliate which due to their tower being destroyed is not broadcasting in HD. Of course they refuse any waviers that viewers have asked for until they can get the their tower up. Man the picture of OTAHD is by far the best and is awesome for games. Best of all it is FREE!

robbiee19 said:
Watch the game on D* HD and OTA. Looked the same to me. No difference.

Robbie, you must have MPEG4 ? In Columbus, (Bexley) have not switched. Also, how does 82 look compared to 4-1 and have you gotten any of the RSN games in HD?

robbiee19 said:
Watch the game on D* HD and OTA. Looked the same to me. No difference.

I can't compare it to the HD locals DirecTV offers because they are not offered in my area. Compared to the national HD channels DirecTV offers I can't believe you don't see a difference.

igator99 said:
Yes but I'm puzzled as what battle you are talking about. I have a seven year old big UHF - VHF antenna and their best booster. I live 50 - 60 miles from the transmitters and all I have to do is go out on my deck and turn the antenna an inch or so in either direction to pickup certain stations. The only battle I have is with the NBC affiliate which due to their tower being destroyed is not broadcasting in HD. Of course they refuse any waviers that viewers have asked for until they can get the their tower up. Man the picture of OTAHD is by far the best and is awesome for games. Best of all it is FREE!

You are kidding right?

I live in Connecticut which is heavily wooded and hilly. Strike one. My house is surrounded by 50 foot oak trees. Thousands of them. I live in a valley. My UHF towers are on the other side of Hartford about twenty some odd miles away. 2 other VHF channels are in the opposite direction southwest of my house even further away. So, I had to create 2 different antennas on opposite ends of the house and then splice them together.

It works great but man, its not easy, a normal D* installer couldnt do it and it took a while to figure out how to do the combo scenario. So there are plenty of folks like me that have complex scenarios or cant receive strong signals for numerous reasons.

SHO HD and OTA are definitely observably different. If i never had OTA though, i'd never know the difference. I paid over 500 for my good ota setup and never regretted it

I have the MPEG4 and CH82. I have watched all three (D*HD, OTA, and CH82) No difference for me. And before any body attacks me I a Samsung 61" DLP With DVI connections using WireWorld cables. The 61" has been ISF Cal so I know my setup is good. My neighbor has watched with me and he has TW, so no bias their and he can't tell a difference between the three. That's my setup, I can't speak for other people's opinions or setups.

Ota Hd Wow

Yes I have had OTA Hd for almost 3 years. I now receive all the networks (6) plus PBS (2) in HD. It is truly outstanding. Everyone living within 50 miles should investigate. Believe me to fight higher and higher fees by SAt we ned all the competition we can get.
The best part it is free. :eek: :) :up

robbiee19 said:
I have the MPEG4 and CH82. I have watched all three (D*HD, OTA, and CH82) No difference for me. And before any body attacks me I a Samsung 61" DLP With DVI connections using WireWorld cables. The 61" has been ISF Cal so I know my setup is good. My neighbor has watched with me and he has TW, so no bias their and he can't tell a difference between the three. That's my setup, I can't speak for other people's opinions or setups.

Thanks for the info robiee, I guess the MPEG 4 in Columbus is pretty successfull. I will switch over when I expect the DVR to be close to coming out. Hey man I believe it totally, hell, I am in Columbus too and I took my projector to a a buddy's house (he had both D and E) and we couldn't see a difference in the HD quality on his plaz or my projector but I got FLAMED, told I was blind etc... by many.

Brewer4 said:
You are kidding right?

I live in Connecticut which is heavily wooded and hilly. Strike one. My house is surrounded by 50 foot oak trees. Thousands of them. I live in a valley. My UHF towers are on the other side of Hartford about twenty some odd miles away. 2 other VHF channels are in the opposite direction southwest of my house even further away. So, I had to create 2 different antennas on opposite ends of the house and then splice them together.

It works great but man, its not easy, a normal D* installer couldnt do it and it took a while to figure out how to do the combo scenario. So there are plenty of folks like me that have complex scenarios or cant receive strong signals for numerous reasons.

I understand how you feel. My future with D* is very much in question because of trees. I'm just saying if you can the OTAHD at least on my TV looks much better than what I see from D*. The OTA HD signal must work much different than a sat signal because I'm surrounded by trees but I live in a suburban area and hills are not part of the tophography of Louisiana.

robbiee19 said:

You think maybe the TV makes the difference? I have a cheapo LCD Polaroid 37" with the built in tuner. I'm using the H-20 D* reciever. The H-20 is connected with a HDMI cable. If it looks the same for you great I'm happy for you. It is bit of a pain to turn the antenna a few inches here and there to get a channel.

vurbano said:
The difference depends generally on how much multicasting your affiliate does.

I've noticed my PBS stations HD is better than other OTAHD channels. Perhpas this is the reason. The PBS station almost looks like it is real and you can touch the objects.

igator99 said:
You think maybe the TV makes the difference? I have a cheapo LCD Polaroid 37" with the built in tuner. I'm using the H-20 D* reciever. The H-20 is connected with a HDMI cable. If it looks the same for you great I'm happy for you. It is bit of a pain to turn the antenna a few inches here and there to get a channel.
My point was to show other's I have the best possible set I can get for me. People ask if if other's can see the different. I pointed out what I see and have observed between ota and D* HD. Others on this form attack just because my opinion differ from their's. And yes differnt equipment can make a difference. Like a very good plasma will out perform my DLP things like that.

Not to mention the fact that many OTA signals also xmit with 5.1 audio (Fox does locally) ...it's almost a religious experience...

robbiee19 said:
My point was to show other's I have the best possible set I can get for me. People ask if if other's can see the different. I pointed out what I see and have observed between ota and D* HD. Others on this form attack just because my opinion differ from their's. And yes differnt equipment can make a difference. Like a very good plasma will out perform my DLP things like that.

Do you notice a difference with other D* HDTV? I notice that National Geographic HD looks better than the other HD channels.

igator99 said:
Anyone that can get their locals in HD I highly recommend you do so. I watched the Rams vs. Colts game off of my local Fox and it was just awesome. None of the DirecTV HD channels can compare.
The local FOX affiliate here (WFPO) doesn't broadcast HD OTA, and they can't before 2009. :(

I wish I could get FOX in HD, especially since most of the football I watch is on there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Another H-20 issue

R15 dvr functionality busted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)