Outdoor Antenna Problem

Will94

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
USA
I am having trouble with my antenna reception, and I am hoping that someone on this board can help. Last spring I installed a Winegard Sensar GS-2200 with the wingman upgrade on my roof (The antenna is about 10' above ground level). I connected it to a 100' RG-6 cable which I ran into my attic where it was connected to a 50' RG-6 cable through a coupler. I dropped the 50' cable down into my den. At the wall plate, I had a 25' RG-6 cable which ran to a Winegard PS-1503 amplifier. From there a 6' RG-59 cable went to my 52" W series Sony.

We have three local ATSC channels: 12 (PBS), 28 (Fox), and 50 (CBS). I know that this installation has too long of a distance of cable, but after I was done, the Sony reported signals of 98 for both PBS and Fox and 93 for CBS. I also got good picture on our low power NTSC repeaters for NBC and ABC.

Last week I installed an ExpressVu with a 24" dish on my roof. From both the dish and Winegard antenna, I have 6' RG-59 cables running to a diplexer. The 100' RG-6 cable which used to connect to the antenna now connects to the diplexer. Inside, I have a 8" RG-59 cable which connects a diplexer to the wall jack. The 25' RG-6 cable which I mentioned earlier now runs from the diplexer to the amplifier. A 10' RG-59 cable runs from the diplexer to the ExpressVu receiver.

I get great signal on my ExpressVu, but I have destroyed my OTA reception. My Sony now reports signals of 43 for PBS, 21 for Fox, and 0 for CBS. My NTSC NBC and ABC repeaters no longer have any kind of watchable picture. I have setup rabbit ears next to my TV because they now get a stronger signal than my rooftop antenna. I replaced both diplexers and the RG-59 that runs from the antenna to the outdoor diplexer. I also tried bypassing my amplifier thinking that ExpressVu had introduced noise, which it was amplifying. None of that made any difference, so earlier today, I broke out my signal meter.

I took a ton of readings. All numbers are in dbz. I connected my meter directly to my antenna and received readings of 41.9 for PBS, 42.0 for Fox, and 37.7 for CBS. I then connected my meter to the outdoor diplexer but disconnected ExpressVu from it. I got readings of 43.0 for PBS, 39.6 for Fox, and 37.2 for CBS. I re-connected ExpressVu to the diplexer and took more readings. This time I got 43.0 for PBS, 39.7 for Fox, and 37.6 for CBS.

I went inside and took readings. These are with both EVu and the antenna connected to the diplexer outside. With the meter connected to the indoor diplexer, I received readings of 41.5 for PBS, 38.5 for Fox, and 37.6 for CBS. I then connected the meter directly to the wall jack and received readings of 40.8 for PBS, 38.4 for Fox, and 37.2 for CBS.

Numbers in dbz don't mean much to me other than I know the higher the better. I have also included below coverage maps for all three of my ATSC stations which also mark the location of my house. It's kind of hard to see on the PBS map as it's partially hidden by the text box.

One last thing. I hired someone to take down a tree limb which was over my antenna and ExpressVu dish. They did the work the same day that I installed ExpressVu and the diplexers. I am now wondering if the limb hit my antenna when it came down. I got up on a ladder and looked at the antenna pretty closely. It doesn't look to be damaged in any way, the mount for it is still vertical, and it is still locked facing the same direction.

I am at a loss as to what the problem is or what to do from here. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
:)

kamu.jpg

kyle.jpg

kbtx.jpg

The Winegard Sensor GS-2200 is an amplified antenna, perhaps the diplexers are not passing the voltage to the pre-amp.

I recommend never diplexing unless it is impossible to run another cable, there are losses in each diplexer and problems with voltage passing to the pre-amp.

Agreed the GS2200 is a great antenna. But it is powered by the line going to the antenna One side (antenna) on most diplexers is voltage blocking so you no longer have a TV antenna. While you are rerunning the canles eliminate about a 100 ft on the antenna. Either buy shorter premade lengths or learn how to put compression fittings on the cables.

Having used Perfect 10 for better than 20 years I assume these will work though not much information is provided. you will need a pair of them.

Best way is run a cable just for antenna ,forget signal reducing diplexers.

That's just not possible. Running the cable for the antenna was a nightmare. I couldn't get into the part of the attic where I wanted to bring the cable in. I wound up with a long cable run along the side of the house under the eaves. I am afraid that it will be an issue whenever I try to sell the house. I am not going to make a 2nd run.

If I am unable to get diplexing to work, I will move the antenna into the attic. I had it in there before I mounted it on the roof last spring. It got the three channels above reliably and got my two NTSC repeaters okay (not as well as outside, but better than the rabbit ears).

I put the antenna outside so that I could get NBC and ABC in HD from Waco (about 75 miles as the crow flies). I am able to get them probably 60% of the time. They appeared about once a week when the antenna was in the attic.

DirecTV has my sister's Houston address, so I get all of those locals in HD. However, I want to be able to get them OTA. During Hurricane Ike coverage last fall, I wound up watching a football game that I really wanted to see from my snowy ABC NTSC repeater.... ugly.

Better price on the diplexers here.

A big thank you to the poster from the Delta quadrant and also to Lieutenant Barclay for making the communication possible!

That's just not possible.
Then forget about OTA. The diplexers are killing your pre-amp power. It is not assured that the Bell receiver is going to give you enough voltage or current to operate the pre-amp even if you do buy the power-passing diplexers.

Locate the power injector between the first diplexer and the antenna so there will be nothing to interrupt the DC power to the pre-amp.

That would mean putting it outside. Is that safe? I do have a covered patio, so I can keep it dry. I initially had it in my attic, and it stopped working. I assumed that it was because of the heat, so I moved it into the house.

The passive diplexers came today. They work wonderfully. I have a 98 on PBS, a 98 on Fox, and a 76 on CBS. I am also getting NBC and CBS from Waco. Those transmitters are 75 (air miles) away. When it cools off some, I am going to go into the attic and cut as much RG-6 out of my setup as I can.

Thank you to everyone who offered knowledge and advice on this thread!
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)