Painful search function with VIP 622

ctjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
I've been living with my 622s for a couple of months now and have "made the adjustment" switching from Tivo and my HR10-250.

However, one thing is so appallingly awful I thought I would ask about it: does anyone know if there are plans to "fix" the terrible way in which you search for shows to record? That little keyboard thing is truly horrible. The Tivo interface called up shows on the fly as you keyed in letters. Very nice! Fast, and I often found things I wasn't looking for to boot.

(I hope this doesn't offend that guy who said the 622 remote was "a work of art.")

I've been living with my 622s for a couple of months now and have "made the adjustment" switching from Tivo and my HR10-250.

However, one thing is so appallingly awful I thought I would ask about it: does anyone know if there are plans to "fix" the terrible way in which you search for shows to record? That little keyboard thing is truly horrible. The Tivo interface called up shows on the fly as you keyed in letters. Very nice! Fast, and I often found things I wasn't looking for to boot.

(I hope this doesn't offend that guy who said the 622 remote was "a work of art.")

I too am a DirectTivo refugee, and I feel your pain. I use the guide to find my shows then press SELECT to create the timer. The skip ahead "24 hours" in the guide makes this somewhat bearable. But yes, the search function is tough to get used to coming from Tivo.

That little keyboard thing is truly horrible. The Tivo interface called up shows on the fly as you keyed in letters. Very nice! Fast, and I often found things I wasn't looking for to boot.

I've never had a Tivo, so I don't know what you mean by it called up shows on the fly.

But, on the 622, you don't have to use the keyboard. You can enter letters from the number keys with letters above them. For instance for the letter A you would hit the #2 key one time, hit it twice fairly quickly for B, and three times for C. Hitting the number 0 key will make a space but I don't know how you go back. You may have to use the keyboard for that.

It is kinda annoying but I like the fact that once you search for something it stays in memory. I would like to do a search for more than one show at a time that is stored in the memory list though.

ANOTHER TIP:

IF you are trying to find out if a show is coming on again in the near future, while the show is highlighted in the guide, hit the search button, it will then auto fill in the shows name, and all you have to do is hit get results.

The fact that you say Tivo and fast in the same post means you have lost all credibility with me. I had Tivo for a long time and really liked it then, but it was so damn slow I couldn't handle it.

I always wondered why the video and audio for the currently viewed channel is cut out when you open the keyboard.
I also find it annoying (although it really isn't important) that only the first word is capitalized, and all subsequent words are lower case...

My biggest complaint, too. I never had DirecTV, so I also had that clunky interface between DISH and TiVo, the one where you have to make a black plastic or cloth "tent" over the IR eye on the DISH receiver, so when you send TiVo a signal, it doesn't also fire the DISH receiver. Then, while scrolling on TiVo, if you hit a channel that was not on your DISH subscription, you had to undo the "tent," manually go to the DISH system to get a compatible DISH-TiVo channel, and re-"tent" the DISH. I do like not having that interface, but there are some TiVo features I miss.

Why don't you just change the IR address on the Dish remote? Or change it to RF?

Pat

To quote the character in the now-long gone cartoon strip, Sylvia: "had I but known ..... "

Alas, that was two years ago, thus no longer a problem. I was not a member of this board then, so I did not have the knowledge of the Hive Collective to guide me. But your suggestion would have been most welcome, back then:)

The fact that you say Tivo and fast in the same post means you have lost all credibility with me. I had Tivo for a long time and really liked it then, but it was so damn slow I couldn't handle it.

Gee, it pains me deeply to hear I lack credibility with you, Mr. Bum. My apologies.

But yes, this particuar feature with the HR10-250 was pretty fast and in my opinion, much better. When you hit the first letter, a list appeared on the side that chnaged dynamically as you typed. Often, only a few letters were required to find what you wanted, then you could (more intuitively, AGAIN IMO) just click it to record.

That said, I do very much enjoy the Vip 622 (and of course, on this forum, I would say so even if I didn't). Oh, and the remote is truly a work of art, let's not forget that. Geesh.

And just yesterday, I saw my 622 kick a Tivo in the face, bench-press an Apple TV, and then it walked on water. It's just SO amazing. Humanity is saved by the mere awesomeness of it.......

Last edited:
But yes, this particuar feature with the HR10-250 was pretty fast and in my opinion, much better. When you hit the first letter, a list appeared on the side that chnaged dynamically as you typed. Often, only a few letters were required to find what you wanted, then you could (more intuitively, AGAIN IMO) just click it to record.

That does sound like a great search function.

That does sound like a good feature, but it also brings to mind two words that Charlie and his legal team don't want to hear again: "Trademark Infringement"

I think you're right! I hope they get all that settled and maybe we can add some of the good Tivo features to the good 622 features. Talk about walking on water! :)

That does sound like a good feature, but it also brings to mind two words that Charlie and his legal team don't want to hear again: "Trademark Infringement"
Either it's not patented or Pioneer (and now Aptiv) paid TiVo a licensing fee to use this "feature". When I had Time Warner, the Scientific-Atlanta boxes, with Pioneer's Passport Echo software worked this way. It was slick.

Either it's not patented or Pioneer (and now Aptiv) paid TiVo a licensing fee to use this "feature". When I had Time Warner, the Scientific-Atlanta boxes, with Pioneer's Passport Echo software worked this way. It was slick.

The SA boxes do work like this, except they only search 3 days.:(

Same for the Comcast Motorola DVRs.

Though the remote is indeed a work of art, I take no offense (yes "that guy" was me) as there is no defense for the crappy onscreen keyboard. You can't even wrap around from one edge to the other. At least the old dishplayer could do that much. How about a QWERTY option at least! SOme of us know how to type. :)

That search option sounds just like the one Microsoft has now where as you type the results are already appearing and narrow down the more you type. I knew they must have seen it somewhere, too good for an independent M$ development.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)