Panasonic 42' Vera Plasma. Anybody got one?

Thats A Winner

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 8, 2008
I am thinking about pulling the trigger. Best Buy has the 80U and the 85U. 85U is about $200 higher. The only difference I could see is it is supposed to have a little higher contrast ratio.
Any thoughts or testimonials would be greatly appreciated.

Getting the TV mostly for sports. Is the Plasma the way to go, or is the brighter LCD (although with motion blur) the better choice?

Cost IS a factor

I love my 85u. We've got a great calibration thread going at avs for the 85u but not too many have bought the 80u. Id go ahead and go for the 85u if cost is ok. If not, everyone that has commented on the 80u seems happy.

I used the Blu-ray DVE to calibrate mine, and it produced great results. Many of the guys at avs are using the same settings and love them too.

This is the first tv Ive owned that I have ZERO regrets about.

Okay, so I bought the Panasonic TH-42PZ80U yesterday. I don't have high def yet (switching to DirecTV and they are coming out Tuesday). Standard def doesn't look that great, but Blu-ray on my son's PS3 is pretty good. I'll let you know what broadcasts look like when I get it hooked up.

I have a 2004 model 42" Viera, it was my main TV for 3+ years. It has worked well. Just recently upgraded to a 50" Pioneer, but still use the Panny in the office.

Play around with your input resolution. My 85u gives me the best PQ if I leave my vip 722 on 1080i all the time, even for SD and 720p OTA signals.

Play around with your input resolution. My 85u gives me the best PQ if I leave my vip 722 on 1080i all the time, even for SD and 720p OTA signals.

My 75u is 720P and I leave the 622 on 720P (I've switched back and forth and to me looks better). the 85u must be 1080P? Just curious as I may upgrade one of my t.v.'s to a 1080P:)