Panasonic BDT320 Review

Nope. My only concern is the fact last years 580 was found to actually introduce a 6dE color error into the source, where the Oppo and Panny's were of course 0.0 on the right settings. This leans me to the BDT500.

Nope. My only concern is the fact last years 580 was found to actually introduce a 6dE color error into the source, where the Oppo and Panny's were of course 0.0 on the right settings. This leans me to the BDT500.

Actually, like the Panasonic, it was correctable with the proper settings. The review was ammended.

S~

I just found it, but in the comments.

Odd they did not note it in the review?

Sony BDP-S580 3D Blu-ray Player

Sony Player Actually is Correct and Working Properly
written by Jay Dawn , February 12, 2012

The BDP-S380 apparently fully and correctly maps the video quantization ranges when it is fully reset and correctly set up to do so.

Apparently the test unit used in the evaluation was not fully RESET since the Picture Quality setting page was never accessed and resulted in testing being done that was not performed in the STANDARD mode.

From the mapping numbers quoted in the above faulty test, the player was tested fully in the CINEMA mode which purposely reduces screen levels and in doing so, the Sony player does remap the quantization numbers.

STANDARD mode, (not CINEMA or BRIGHT LIGHTING modes), should be used for playing back a Calibration test disc.

Glad you said that, because now I can quit ragging on Sony!

These players should come set in a reference mode, and if you want to screw it up, let you make the changes.

Going to try something different. I'm going to keep the 320. I really do like it. I'm working on selling the 110 or the 350 with my plasma.

S~

Gotcha. I cancelled the 500 preorder since I found the color error was a non issue. SOny 790 is a better deal price wise and people are hyping that super bit mapping 16bit engIne for the last two generations. Did some reading and it appears this Sony creas chip was created from a Marvell soc design. Probably why they have been good players.

OK, since I have no patience and you are a bad influence, I ordered the 790 from B&H Photo, should be here Friday but Ill be at the beach for 4 starting then. So my toying with it will have to wait.

If for some reason I dont like it, Ill sell it and get a 500 :)

First thing Im gonna check is speed. If the 790 is as slow as the 590, it wont be around long. It's ridiculous to be that slow in 2012. I see the guy from Home Fidelity already tested the 590 and its color passes perfectly in "Standard" mode.

Amazon now has the 500 at a 1-2 month wait.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts