Panasonic DMP-BD35 and DMP-BD55

Second question is, (probably kind of silly, but...) can I hook this up to the internet via a wireless or does it have to be wired directly to the router to take advantage of BD Live and firmware updates?

Thanks
So I hooked up my belkin wireless game adapter and it works great. I got it for $20 at buy.com.

What does everyone keep there BD live settings at? Does it try and access BD live everytime you put a disc in?

Where do I go to get firmware updates for my 55K? I am not connected to the internet so I have to burn the update on a cd-r. I know it's out there somewhere. :)

Took The Cheapskate Route

Price being an issue, I decided to sit on the bench. Then, through Amazon, I found a Refurb BD30 for $164.00. Audio and BD-live not priorities to me. It has component 5.1 analog outs, so if a movie has PCM lossless, I'll be in good snape. Also, the BD30 has coax out. The 35 does not. So, I may be below the curve, but I'm in the game!!:D:D

I noticed people mentioned the two BluRay Disk deal from Panasonic and Disney. I hope you read the fine print. The state of the store receipt where you purchased the DMP-BD35 must match the state on the submission! I picked my up my DMP-BD35 from 6th Ave Electronics and they were pushing the two movie "rebate" on their site. Since I do not live in NY, no way I'm going to gamble with my one-and-only proof-of-purchase UPC bar code on this offer.

Here are the terms of the rebate (emphasis mine):
Panasonic Sleeping Beauty Promotion said:
Limit 1 redemption per household. Offer valid, and purchases must be made between October 7, 2008 and January 31, 2009. All requests must be postmarked by February 28, 2009. Limit one submission per envelope. Group submissions are void. Store receipts must emanate from same state as consumer address. Blu-ray Discs will not be mailed to P.O. Boxes. Check with your local post office for a street address. Offer rights may not be assigned or transferred. Requests not in compliance with all the terms of this offer will not be acknowledged or returned. All submissions are subject to verification and become the property of Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment (WHSHE). Fraudulent submission including use of multiple addresses or P.O. boxes to obtain additional Blu-ray discs may result in prosecution. Reproduction, purchase, sale or trade of this mail-in certificate or proof-of-purchase tabs is prohibited. Cash vaule is 1/100¢. WDSHE reserves the right to withdraw or modify any terms of this offer. Liability for defective product redeemed under this offer will be limited to replacement of the Blu-ray Disc by a Blu-ray of the same type or title. Offer good in the U.S.A. and its territories, APOs and FPOs. Void where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law. Please allow eight to ten weeks for delivery. WDSHE will not be liable for lost, late, misdirected, mutilated, illegible, incomplete or postage-due mail or lost, stolen or destroyed proof-of-purchase tabs. Void where prohibited. ©Disney/Pixar © Panasonic

I noticed people mentioned the two BluRay Disk deal from Panasonic and Disney. I hope you read the fine print. The state of the store receipt where you purchased the DMP-BD35 must match the state on the submission! I picked my up my DMP-BD35 from 6th Ave Electronics and they were pushing the two movie "rebate" on their site. Since I do not live in NY, no way I'm going to gamble with my one-and-only proof-of-purchase UPC bar code on this offer.

Here are the terms of the rebate (emphasis mine):

Chris B over at AVS verified with the promotion group that receipts do not need to be from the same state.

S~

It was worth taking the chance anyway. If there was a better rebate offer I could have gotten with my UPC code, I would have taken it. Only risk really is if you needed to return the unit within the first 30 days.

No sound from BD55, help...

I hooked up the BD55 to my non-HDMI AVR:
- connected digital audio cable set from BD55 5.1 output to AVR 5.1 input
turned audio HDMI 'off' in BD55 set up menus.
- HDMI from BD55 to HDTV

No sound! I went thru BD55 set up menus trying different settings, no go.

Previous DVD was set up with:
Audio thru digital optical cable to AVR.
Video thru component cables to HDTV

Tried with BD55 set up: (still no sound)
- Dig. optical BD55 to AVR
- HDMI BD55 to HDTV

Tried with BD55 set up:
- Dig. optical BD55 to AVR
- component cables BD55 to HDTV
This produced sound, but not availing the enhanced Audio or video.
Seems there should be a setting on my Sony STR-V333ES that I would change so it know to get Audio from the 5.1 inputs. I thought I had that set, but something is not correct. Any ideas?

If I had known I was going to go all gung ho and order a Denon AVR-1909 (due next Mon. or Tues.), I could have saved by not buying the 5.1 cable set and also got the BD35 instaed to save a bit more... c'est la vie! :eek:

I hope I don't need to wait for my new receiver (to all HDMI) to get the AQ and VQ desired.

Oops

Here I thought I'd put my nice standard DVD player in the bedroom to replace a real cheapo one my wife had gotten for free. Now I realize that our first choice is to rent Blu-Ray from Netflix and Blu-Ray does not play on non Blu-Ray players (right?).

My wife said, boy we sure do have 'terrible' problems, huh... :rolleyes:

Davekro said:
If I had known I was going to go all gung ho and order a Denon AVR-1909 (due next Mon. or Tues.), I could have saved by not buying the 5.1 cable set and also got the BD35 instaed to save a bit more... c'est la vie! :rolleyes:
Here I thought I'd put my nice standard DVD player in the bedroom to replace a real cheapo one my wife had gotten for free. Now I realize that our first choice is to rent Blu-Ray from Netflix and Blu-Ray does not play on non Blu-Ray players (right?).

My wife said, boy we sure do have 'terrible' problems, huh... :rolleyes:
Look at it this way... Now you can get that BD35!

Regarding the rebate offer, I'm pretty leery of them nowadays. The company that handles NewEgg's rebates has somehow managed to lose mine from October. Their status went from "Processing" to "Please contact Customer Support". In other words, say goodbye to the $70. But that's a rant for a different thread...

After reading about the audio fun everyone has had, I'm expecting that a 7.1 AVR may be in the cards to replace my Marantz SR-780. It does Dolby 5.1, but doesn't have DTS or anything else.I almost picked up a Yamaha from 6th Ave with their 25% off coupon, but my wife did not see the logic in getting a new AVR as well as the Blu-ray player. Wait until I tell her that our WS-55613 that I saved a couple of months ago needs to be replaced because its one digital input doesn't do HDCP and won't support the BD35... I hope that the Component outputs aren't downrezzed to 480p on copy-protected material.

Last edited:
Look at it this way... Now you can get that BD35!

Regarding the rebate offer, I'm pretty leery of them nowadays. The company that handles NewEgg's rebates has somehow managed to lose mine from October. Their status went from "Processing" to "Please contact Customer Support". In other words, say goodbye to the $70. But that's a rant for a different thread...

After reading about the audio fun everyone has had, I'm expecting that a 7.1 AVR may be in the cards ... but my wife did not see the logic in getting a new AVR as well as the Blu-ray player.

Foxbat,
I had to do some convincing of my wife in these times to jump into the Denon 1909, just 7 days after ordering the BD55 (while it was still in transit). Good luck there. :) My wife has been 'suggesting' that we get rid of what she feels are monster front speakers (Klipsch Cornwall II's that I bought new in 1983, 36"h x 25"w x 16" deep). She knows these are almost part of my DNA, so my willingness to consider putting them on Craig's List has her being surprisingly 'saying' she is OK with the purchases. :up Oh, I forgot to mention, I committed to buy a used Paradigm Servo-15a sub I ran into for a steal at $350 (I couldn't afford NOT to buy this!). So the $350 Blu-Ray player quickly turned into $1185 ($350, $350, $485).

The problem with (a measly;)) $275 more for a BD35, is that our bedroom TV is our old 52" Hitachi from the livingroom (she is a very good woman) which is terribly far from HD. New bedroom TV too??, Even I won't go there! :eek:

I was thinking of any old used BD player. Maybe there are good deals on used BD30's. I wonder if I can use my 'new' 5.1 analog cables to output 5.1 to my old Sony AVR? Maybe that does not apply to the old BD30??

Good luck sir. :D

Oh yeah, I got an email that UPS has 'Received billing info'. So I guess 6Ave is 'considering' shipping the 1909 today. :rolleyes:

Man, the 6ave deal on the 1909 is hard to beat.

Your energy, research and soliciting so much positive feed back here helped me decide I needed a new receiver. Thank You. :D

So did you just hook up your BD player to 1909 via HDMI for Audio, then HDMI from 1909 to TV?

Or did you use (1) HDMI from BD player to 1909, then HDMI for Video to HDTV?

I may have many more Q's for you when my 1909 arrives next week.

Happy New Year all

Your energy, research and soliciting so much positive feed back here helped me decide I needed a new receiver. Thank You. :D

So did you just hook up your BD player to 1909 via HDMI for Audio, then HDMI from 1909 to TV?

Or did you use (1) HDMI from BD player to 1909, then HDMI for Video to HDTV?

I may have many more Q's for you when my 1909 arrives next week.

Happy New Year all

Man, I tend to go nuts when I experience something new, and try and learn as much as I can. Not one to do something because im told its the best way, I want to know why ;)

I had fun yesterday with the Radio Shack spl meter taking speaker level measurements with the 1909.

The video quality on the Denon is pure perfection, so I have my BD35 and HR22 running stricty HDMI to the 1909, then one out to the tv. Best way to do it.

I found that sending audio thru HDMI for my HR22 to my Onkyo did not sound very good, so I used optical. HDMI direct from the D* rcvr to the 1909 sounds very good so I dumped the optical.

Elway,
Before receiving the 1909, did you have the BD35 connected to your (non HDMI?) Onkyo? If so, how'd you connect the audio and video?

For some weird reason, connecting the BD55 to my non hdmi avr caused no sound from BD55. When I swithched around settings and connections, I got sound, but only thru Composite to AVR and Optical to HDTV.
Then I had no sound on regular TV thru COmcast DVR. The connects seem self explanatory, but there must be settings in Sony AVR or in BD55 that I have wrong. I'll have to spend some time trrying agian to figure that %$#%$# out.

Oops, I see your mention of the ONkyo HDMI connection not sounding as good, so used optical.

Is it not possible to use HDMI from BD55 to TV, then expect audio to go thru a non- HDMI connection? This sure seems to be what I am seeing. Page 13, section "F", Connecting to 5.1 'Audio Out' terminal is not clear. I assume (and did this), that I am supposed to get VIDEO with HDMI from BD55 to HDTV with the "HDMI Audio Output" set to off! I did this assuming connecting the BD55 to the AVR with the 5.1 audio cable set should be the right way. but no sound. I am at a loss.
Any suggestions from anyone would be Greatly appreciated. TKS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts