Parting Gift from Dish

slingtv for 25 dollars has all those channels accept espn but espn 2 and 3
bbc america included now? and many others.
u could probably do the welcome pack for 20 bucks too.
and add the slingtv.
seems like many choices. been with dish since the late 96 then dropped then came back
on a side note i find myself with two many channels now. and while i dont watch some i watch others then streaming and then i have access to all new movies anytime i want *yup* that is so cool

Ha! Never thought that this thread would receive so many comments. :)

1) As for the $10, I get why they charge it. Though, my thought is that it's the cost of doing business and shouldn't be an extra charge. (ie. Does a contractor charge you to drive to your house? Of course, they do. However, they put it into their cost of goods/service, not back charge you later. If that was the case, you would never use that contractor again.)

2) As far as the package that I asked for, I was asking for that package because I have already moved to a similar package. I signed up with PlayStation Vue for their lowest package @ $29.99. For this, I receive everything that I mentioned in my first post with the exception of MLB Network, NFL Network, and History Channel. I could pay $5 more to get access to NFL Network, but typically you can stream Thursday Night Football games (and frankly, I don't have a lot of time to watch TNF games).

So, as you can see, I wasn't asking for much more than I already get.

3) Concerning the Dish package that they offered me, I'm not sure what the $14.99 package was called. When I asked questions, I received vague answers. Like they knew the answers but didn't want to tell me because they knew that was not the answer that I was looking for. Would have had more respect if they just said, sorry we don't offer that option at this time, but we would be happy to let you know in the future if we do.

The way we watch TV has been changing and will continue to change. The company that moves with the times proactively will win the 'share' game.

Out of all the cable/satellite companies, I am still a Dish fan. I know that they also own Sling TV, so they are trying to win that share game. Unfortunately for me, Sling TV lacked the DVR features that PS Vue includes.

Reactions: TheKrell
Cable and satellite contractors(atleast a good number of them) will have a mileage charge right off the bat. The company I work for also charges mileage fees if they need to go to areas to repo a car.

That's why I don't understand the big issue. No matter what company you have to return your leased equipment. If you pay your own shipping charges it going to cost more and risk damaging the equipment by shipping in a box with unsuitable protection. IMO dish is giving good you a parting gift. They are trying to make the breakup easier.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cmcgrail
Dish used not to charge the fee to return their equipment, and Dish used to not require you to return the LNB when you cancel service.

It's just another way of Dish telling you to F off when you cancel your service.

To prove this take the case of a Dish mover. They don't charge for the LNB or make you climb on your roof to return it?

When you have a bad box and they send you a free replacement, do they charge to ship back the defective box?

If you deactivate a receiver, and they send you a box, do they charge an active customer to send the box back?

No other provider makes it more difficult to return equipment.

With Comcast you can go to a service center, the UPS store, or sometimes they send someone out to pick it up.

AT&T let's you use the UPS store for Uverse.

All other providers provide prepaid boxes

Dish used not to charge the fee to return their equipment, and Dish used to not require you to return the LNB when you cancel service.

It's just another way of Dish telling you to F off when you cancel your service.

To prove this take the case of a Dish mover. They don't charge for the LNB or make you climb on your roof to return it?

When you have a bad box and they send you a free replacement, do they charge to ship back the defective box?

If you deactivate a receiver, and they send you a box, do they charge an active customer to send the box back?

With Comcast you can go to a service center, the UPS store, or sometimes they send someone out to pick it up.

dish started most of the fees, and really jacked up others.......

it must hurt getting subs back, like peeing in your water cup.....

People sure are funny.

First they complain that they have to pay for channels that they don't watch and other people do.

Now they complain that only people that use a service (return receivers) have to pay instead of everyone paying that doesn't use that service.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Just can't please everyone.

People sure are funny.

First they complain that they have to pay for channels that they don't watch and other people do.

Now they complain that only people that use a service (return receivers) have to pay instead of everyone paying that doesn't use that service.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Just can't please everyone.

Then, there are some who just like to criticize everything a company does regardless of it's true merits. Actually, if these armchair quarterbacks were as smart as they pretend to be, they'd be running their own satellite television provider instead of spending the day posting on bulletin boards. I guess that's "funny".

Just out of curiosity does DTV pay for return shipping of receivers for closed accounts.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Yes, Direct does not charge for the return of their gear when you cancel.

As to cable, all is not rosy there either. Around here they will either send boxes for no charge, or you can take to the local office if you actually have one close enough. But they charge to come out and put the filter in or disconnect the cable altogether, and they charge for installation.

Dish doesn't require you to return the LNB though they do ask for it.
With local cable here, they charge to install, charge to disconnect, but they don't charge to return the boxes.

I liken this whole thing to leasing an automobile. You go to a dealer, lease an auto, then when your lease term is up, you return it to that dealer. The dealer doesn't come to your house to pick up the car. That dealer might be 100 miles from where you live. You have to pay for the gas to get there...

Dish doesn't require you to return the LNB though they do ask for it.
With local cable here, they charge to install, charge to disconnect, but they don't charge to return the boxes.

Yea it's not required, they just charge you for it.

Now consider this. The average joe customer is unaware of this charge or does not realize if they put up a fight it can be waived.

Since most customers pay for their programming in advance it means that dish owes them a refund upon cancellation.

Since most packages are more than $50 and in most cases $70-$80 do you think a customer will say anything when they get a final bill in the mail showing a $10 credit balance owed, AFTER the shipping charges and LNB.

Satellite guys members know better. I have been doing this for 18 years. The average customer customer don't know they are getting screwed.

I have customers all the time try to return dish equipment because I'm a UPS drop off center. I stopped telling people about the charges with the shipping label because I don't want to hear them bitch. I'd rather see the customer get the bill later and call Dish to bitch.

Yea it's not required, they just charge you for it.

Now consider this. The average joe customer is unaware of this charge or does not realize if they put up a fight it can be waived.

Since most customers pay for their programming in advance it means that dish owes them a refund upon cancellation.

Since most packages are more than $50 and in most cases $70-$80 do you think a customer will say anything when they get a final bill in the mail showing a $10 credit balance owed, AFTER the shipping charges and LNB.

Satellite guys members know better. I have been doing this for 18 years. The average customer customer don't know they are getting screwed.

I have customers all the time try to return dish equipment because I'm a UPS drop off center. I stopped telling people about the charges with the shipping label because I don't want to hear them bitch. I'd rather see the customer get the bill later and call Dish to bitch.

Since I have cancelled Dish many times over many years and not once was charged for the LNB I never returned, I'd say you are blowing bad smoke!

As to the shipping charge, Dish is very upfront during the cancellation process about that.

Ha! Never thought that this thread would receive so many comments. :)

2) As far as the package that I asked for, I was asking for that package because I have already moved to a similar package. I signed up with PlayStation Vue for their lowest package @ $29.99. For this, I receive everything that I mentioned in my first post with the exception of MLB Network, NFL Network, and History Channel. I could pay $5 more to get access to NFL Network, but typically you can stream Thursday Night Football games (and frankly, I don't have a lot of time to watch TNF games).

So, as you can see, I wasn't asking for much more than I already get.

That comparison is not a good one. Traditional providers have actual hardware/DVR's while online have cloud dvr service, install concerns, launching satellites, and maintenance all that online does not have, that contribute to a higher cost to the traditional provider. MLB and NFL are not small costs, as you post just the NFL would cost you $5 more while you want DISH to provide it at $29.99 along with MLB. And I see Vue just dropped all Viacom channels, there may be none on your list but DISH does not completely have that luxury to just drop lists of channels with no intention of trying to keep them. Vue is sacrificing those channels for others, Cable and Sat generally can't do that at least not in a wholesale way Vue just did. If I am not mistaken VUE does not have RSN's, very costly and another thing traditional providers are expected to carry, even if not all of them.
So my bottom line you are not getting the same service and offerings, for you that may work because it does for some others but I stand by DISH can not offer what you asked for as it turns out neither can VUE.
In pay for the lower speed Charter Internet that's all I need, I would have to add the cost of a higher speed to stream reliably and be able to do other things at the same time to the Vue cost. As it happens Charter raised the cost of the higher speed by $12 my speed by $7.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)