Pause Function now different

johnstred

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Not sue when this changed, but I loved the fact that when I paused a recorded program, unpausing it would restart a second or so before the pause. This made it nice to ensure you got all the dialog. Now it seems like it restarts a fraction of a second after the pause marker and at times seems like we miss a word or so of the dialog. Any thoughts? (I have a vip622 with the latest software 6.22)

I don't believe this is necessarily a software change -- I think it has to do with MPEG2 vs MPEG4. I've noticed the pause changes, as well as different (slower) fast forward/rewind speeds on an MPEG4 program. Compare it to an MPEG2 program and you'll see it operate the 'old' way.

At least this is my experience...

I can't say I've noticed the change, but I never liked it when the pause function backed up. I'm not concerned with the soundtrack, I like to be able to freeze-frame the video accurately.

this was an issue many updates ago, I think they even talked about it on one of the tech chats and then fixed it with a software update, I guess that forgot to include this fix in 622

My guess is this change would be to avoid any potential conflict with Tivo patent 7,493,015 B1 (an "Automatic Playback Overshoot Correction System").