PBS @ 24hz

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rta53

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
North Carolina
My wife and I like to watch This Old House on PBS which is one of the local stations we get. It's wierd that we get ch 26 which is in Virginia instead of ch 4 which is in Chapel Hill only 30 minutes away. Anyway the signal for all of our local stations comes in at 60hz while the PBS station is 24hz. We get a lot of blurring when there is movement. I've tried making adjustments to my tv and it may have helped some but there is still blurring. We even get a sub channel, 26-2 that comes in at 60hz but it is sd I think. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I have the same PBS channel (UNC TV on WUNL 26 from Winston-Salem). It is unwatchable. We use an AM21 to receive subchannels and Raleigh locals, including WUNC on 4-1. WUNC 4-1 does not have the issues.

ejb1980 said:
I have the same PBS channel (UNC TV on WUNL 26 from Winston-Salem). It is unwatchable. We use an AM21 to receive subchannels and Raleigh locals, including WUNC on 4-1. WUNC 4-1 does not have the issues.

I actually have an AM21 but haven't installed it yet. Guess it's time I did. :)

Depending on where you live and your antenna set-up, you'll get a lot more in the "locals" department. Like I said, I have the nearly complete Greensboro AND Raleigh locals on my guide, courtesy of the AM21. You'll also learn that the -2 PBS is mislabeled on DTV and is actually the -3 channel. The UNC-2 channel is an all-kids channel.

ejb1980 said:
Depending on where you live and your antenna set-up, you'll get a lot more in the "locals" department. Like I said, I have the nearly complete Greensboro AND Raleigh locals on my guide, courtesy of the AM21. You'll also learn that the -2 PBS is mislabeled on DTV and is actually the -3 channel. The UNC-2 channel is an all-kids channel.

Did you have to enter a second zip code to get the Raleigh locals? I just installed my AM21 and I'm still getting ch 26 for PBS instead of ch 4.

The AM21 is great; it is one of the best features of DTV in my opinion. If you can get 4, maybe you can get the other Raleigh locals, too. 8 and 20 are the only "good" Greensboro locals as 2, 12, 45, and 48 look like they were programmed by a high school AV club ((does anyone actually watch the WFMY News?)) Anyway, I am glad you've got UNC TV now.

The Raleigh ota locals do show up in the guide but the signal is not strong enough for most of the channels or my antenna needs upgrading. In the old analog days I could get Ch 5, but stopped getting it when the switch to digital came about. One of my coworkers lives in the same area as me but he gets the Raleigh locals instead of Greensboro. We have the same zip code. How is it determined which locals you get?

The Raleigh otta locals do show up in the guide but the signal is not strong enough for most of the channels or my antenna needs upgrading. In the old analog days I could get Ch 5, but stopped getting it when the switch to digital came about. One of my coworkers lives in the same area as me but he gets the Raleigh locals instead of Greensboro. We have the same zip code. How is it determined which locals you get?

Your zip code determines what dma you are in.

Some zip codes are divided up in different dams.

It is annoying that some towns have the county line dividing them. Perhaps you live in Mebane where most of the town gets Greensboro and the other part gets Raleigh. Further proof that the DMA system is stupid and needs to be fixed.

I was considering "moving" to an Orange County zip code in Mebane to get the Raleigh channels as primary, but I might "move" to Lexington once the NBA comes back. Lexington is about as far north as the Bobcats games are shown on Directv and I wouldn't want to miss the Celtics games that are shown. You could "move" to your friends house and add an "apt 1" to his/her address to get Raleigh as primary and use the AM21 for Greensboro. If you are not familiar with "moving," search on the forum and you'll discover plenty of discussion. Some will call it immoral and illegal but I feel that those of us on border zones should be able to have both sets of locals, like they do in some areas (like the border towns in Virginia, for example). I also feel that if the locals in one's own area are terrible, part-time HD, no 5.1, etc. we should be able to get additional locals. I also feel that Directv should provide us with our locals and be required to keep them in the DMA zones, but if people want to PAY for extra sets (Raleigh for us, maybe Roanoke and Charlotte, too, or even NYC and LA) we should have the option. Some DMAs do not have all networks or have part-time affiliates and those customers PAY for TV and should be able to watch what most others on their provider can. Ok, my rant is over.

Last edited:
pbscomp.png
I had never seen it before either. Until I got Directv. I do not receive WUNL OTA, but, on Time Warner QAM, 26-1 is not 24hz.

In my area the Directv locals of PBS on 26 is now 1080p, yea!....but as OP says the frame rate is poor and jerks badly. I called UNC-TV and they are aware and working on the issue. Or so they say

Heh, if DirecTV were going to have a non-ppv 1080p channel I would want it to be something like EScapes.

I guess they have bandwidth to spare on the spotbeams?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)