PBS, Finally, I Hope.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Time to update my wiring diagram.
I will wire the rightmost mutiswitch this weekend as shown:

Powered Multiswitches.jpg

97W C band, currently wired into the diseqcs, will join 95W and the 125W PBS Corotor on the third powered multiswitch.
So I will be up to 7 sats wired to the house system.

I still have an 8 foot KTI, probably going on 99W C band, another pay dish on 30W Ku, and one more converted pay dish location TBD. All diseqcs will probably be changed out with Amiko 8x1s at some point. All dishes are stationary.

Reactions: iBoston
How is reception on the other vertical transponders with your new setup?

Well the MicroHD I originally used for this setup is on recording duty. I brought a Mini HD SE out to the dish tonight
and I managed to squeeze 77% Q out of 12180 V 30000, vs 72% for the MicroHD.

As for the other Vertical transponders, they were not as good:
Montana PBS 12106 V 2398 : 56% Q
OETA 12112 V 8703: 56% Q

I will retest tomorrow with the Amiko and the Corotor II Ku and C bands.
Then I will swap out for the SL1P and see how much I can squeeze out of it
compared to the old Corotor II.

Reactions: Jason S
Mini HD SE out to the dish tonight
and I managed to squeeze 77% Q out of 12180 V 30000, vs 72% for the MicroHD.
You do know that comparing quality numbers from different receivers,let alone different brands,really doesn't mean a whole lot.Everybody does it their way,there's no standard.;)

You do know that comparing quality numbers from different receivers,let alone different brands,really doesn't mean a whole lot.Everybody does it their way,there's no standard.;)

I sure do, that's why when I started over with the Amiko and ditched the uHD, I began with taking readings with the Corotor II again before I switch to the SL1P. My comparison of the two receivers was really just for me to note the differences in readings.

I am also starting over tomorrow in the heat of the day with the Corotor II and the SL1P as my initial Corotor II readings were taken at night and the SL1P was not tested at that time. I want to test them both under identical atmospheric conditions tomorrow.
Wanted to give Jason S some idea how the 6 footer performed on all the V transponders tonight.

Has anyone used the SL1P? How did it perform?

Reactions: Jason S
Retested the Corotor II on 125W 12180 V 30000 last night on the MiniHD SE.
Once again got 77% Q. Not a peep on Link TV on C Band. Did not want to try and readjust
to get C band channels and mess up my Ku reception, so the decision was made to go Ku only on this dish.
Put on the SL1P, and got a max Q of 77% also.

So it looks like the SL1P is at least as good as the Corotor II, so I think we have a winner in the SL1P!

SL1P is now in place:
slp11.jpg

In these pics you can tell a little bit more how close I am "threading the needle" to get this bird.
The dish is in the trees and you can see the oak that is actually touching the dish a little.
Need to do a little more trimming.
slp12.jpg

Wired 97W C on a C2WPLL Titanium unit to my third Zinwell SAM-4803, H and V 22Khz off ports.
Wired 95W Ku CCTV mux to the H 22Khz on port. Wired 125W Ku to the V 22Khz on port.

Powered the multiswitch bank back up, went back in the house and everything tuned in fine!

Remember I got 77% Q out at the dish on PBS? Well with my extremely long cable runs,
the run out to the PBS dish is my longest run of all so far, I was extremely impressed
with the powered Zinwells in the fact I was also getting 77% Q inside the house!

I am impressed with the products used in this post and I feel I can recommend them highly so far.
If you have some long cable runs and want to run multiple receivers, or want to try prime focus Ku, Check out these products that member wallyhts offers:

SL1P Prime Focus Ku LNBF:
http://gotcband.com/collections/ku-lnbf/products/sl1p-geosatpro-single-standard-ku-prime-focus

Zinwell SAM-4803 Powered Multiswitch:
http://gotcband.com/collections/muli-switch/products/zinwell-sam-4803

I really like the Zinwells. They are big and heavy and built like a tank. The Zinwells
allow me to have very long cable runs, and allow me to share all my dishes to all my receivers
in the house. You can have up to 8 receivers with these. And as you can see above, you don't even have to exclusively use dual output LNBFs. If you have one LNBF of H only channels and another with V only channels, you can wire them like I did and share single output LNBFs on all receivers.

I am sharing out 7 sats throughout the house, without motors so I have instant tuning.
Now I have a total of 60 channels on all receivers!

PBS, Finally I Hope? Now its PBS Finally for sure!

Last edited:
Also try to catch "Uranium - Twisting The Dragon's Tail", its a winner also.
Its a series, so plenty to watch with this show.
Its a good program need more programs like this.
Definitely a good program. I had caught a feed of the second program last week and thought it was very well done.

Tried to stay awake for the first episode the other night but dozed off. A good thing with much of the programming on 125W, if you miss a show in one time zone you can catch it on another. And if you completely miss the program, it can be watched the next day...

Reactions: fred555
Had some heavy rain last night. My 90 cm dish faded completely out to almost 0 Q.This 6 footer lost about 20 Q points but picture was perfect and no glitches at all. This was the first time I was able to ever watch Ku in such a heavy rain. This was on the main PBS feeds. It was not a thunderstorm, with their extremely tall clouds, and I suspect that would have caused it to fade also. Anyhow I was pretty impressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: KE4EST and Jason S
I used to be a groupie of sorts, went to a bunch of live shows. Met a few of them from the first two lineups on a few occasions backstage, Lynn, Chloe, Orla and Mairead, going on about 8-10 years ago now. Nice, friendly, beautiful and funny women. Very talented. Could not quite convince them that they needed to take me on tour as a manservant to do the cooking, laundry, errands etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: KE4EST
Kern Burns' The Civil War - Remastered starts tonight.

The Civil War, the award-winning film produced and directed by Ken Burns, will be rebroadcast over five consecutive nights in September 2015. The broadcast, which coincides with the 25th anniversary of the series’ initial broadcast in September 1990, will present for the first time a newly restored, high-definition version. This is also the first time the film will be seen with the same fidelity and framing as the negative that Burns and his co-cinematographers Allen Moore and Buddy Squires shot more than 25 years ago.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts