PBS on AMC-4/16 (analog)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

awh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
In looking at this weeks PBS Sked-X programming listing they list Thursday (2/12/09) as "off-air" - are they eliminating their analog C-band feed?

interesting observation.

I know the schedule is being discontinued, but I don't know of the analog feed going away. I always assumed the HD east channel would just be downres'ed to use for the analog channel when the Schedule X is discontinued.

we'll find out soon enough what is going on....

from everything I read all SD PBS channels are leaving on 2/11/09 and will be HD only for down converting. This includes AMC21 & AMC4

World, V-Me & Create are staying SD....Montana PBS has nothing to do with this changeover either

Could this have anything to do with my local PBS stating they were going digital on Feb 17th no matter what? Or does this not affect that situation?

nope doesnt affect it. PBS in Minneapolis is staying analog until 6/12

basically instead of a HD & SD feed there will be a HD feed only and stations will downrez/crop/zoom whatever to make it fit :)

nope doesnt affect it. PBS in Minneapolis is staying analog until 6/12
My local PBS station terminated it's analog signal over a month ago, except on translators. I'm not sure what their plans are for the translators. The FCC site says that they have a construction permit for a local digital version of the one closest to me.

Some PBS stations did terminate early but Minneapolis is staying analog for now. Their digital mux is changing on the 18th though. They're dropping "create" and adding their own "TPT Life" channel

check the HD OTA Area...they (congress) is trying to push it back to 6/12 but statioons can shut down anytime before that

check the HD OTA Area...they (congress) is trying to push it back to 6/12 but statioons can shut down anytime before that

Exactly. And that demonstrates just how stupid the action by Congress was. Ie they gave as the reason for the delay that it was because there were many viewers who were not yet ready for the transition due to the FCC running out of coupons, and yet the delay actually really only gives the stations more time, not the viewers. And the additional time will probably actually hurt many stations, because they will need to keep two transmitters running if they go along with the delay. In my area, PBS has already transitioned, 2 of the other networks decided to switch at the old Feb date, and 2 networks decided to delay till June. Of the 5, I think the PBS move makes most sense. Ie get it over as soon as the capability is there. Any viewers who aren't ready yet aren't going to be any more ready in June.

Well it looks like PBS on AMC-4/16 (analog) is still there. It's a mirror of the programming on PBS-HD, actually it' been that way for weeks. I thought I remember reading awhile ago where there was some government mandate that PBS had to keep this in-the-clear.

Thanks, that is pretty much as I thought. Gonna miss it, they had the best Brit-coms on Sat night. I went to their website and from what I could gather there, they were dropping the 4dtv feed in mid December. Haven't seen it anywhere on the FTA side have you?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)