Peachtree TV on Dish Network?

rmims404

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 25, 2007
I am an avid Atlanta Braves baseball fan and would like to know if anyone has heard if Dish will have Peachtree TV, the new Turner Network station. They are going to broadcast 45 Braves games in 2008 since TBS dropped the Braves. I live in Central Alabama. Thanks.

WPCH is only available in the Atlanta market. Its a local channel so only available in Atlanta DMA

WPCH is the former WTBS (NOT TBS on 139 but the local UHF station Channel 17 WTBS..they did have some different programming)

Thank you Iceberg, I was just going to post this after revisiting the website. :)

TBS is the national feed and WTBS now Peachtree is the local channel.

yep. What's funny is in Canada most cable companies and both sat companies carry WPCH and not TBS (they also carry the local WGN feed too)

That is because the CRTC (Canada's equivalent of the FCC) doesn't have the network non-duplication and syndicated exception rules that the FCC has and those same laws which the US Congress passed and President signed into law. It is those rules which created compliant feeds of WGN and WTBS, which the Canadians never had to follow. So, they still get the local channel.

Well, I am about 90 miles or so From Atlanta, guess it is time to see if I can pull in this channel with my outdoor antenna...or another antenna.

That is because the CRTC (Canada's equivalent of the FCC) doesn't have the network non-duplication and syndicated exception rules that the FCC has and those same laws which the US Congress passed and President signed into law. It is those rules which created compliant feeds of WGN and WTBS, which the Canadians never had to follow. So, they still get the local channel.
A bit different than that actually.

The CRTC has different rules about getting approval to show American "cable" channels and "OTA" channels. And the royalties are different as well. Cable channels need to be negociated, and shown to not be to the detriment of Canadian cable channels, OTA channels have a very minor royalty payment, and don't need the channels approval to be shown. They also don't fall into the requirement of not repeating another Canadian channel (SimSub requirements not withstanding). Only the OTA versions were ever approved for carriage in Canada, the cable versions weren't. And since the OTA versions were cheaper to carry, the providers never had a reason to pursue approval of the cable versions.

As for network non-duplication (neither was ever legally considered a network affiliate) and syndicated exceptions, neither WGN or WTBS really fell into that. In WTBS's case, all it's programming was cleared nationally, the reason for different feeds was for differing commercials (local vs. national) and local Educational/News requirements.

WGN similarly cleared most of it's programming nationally, but a couple years after the WB started, decided to remove WB programming from the national feed in order not to draw viewers away from other WB affiliates (WB never achieved network status, per law, so network exclusivity never entered the equation, especially since Tribune owned most of the WB affiliates anyway).

Well, I am about 90 miles or so From Atlanta, guess it is time to see if I can pull in this channel with my outdoor antenna...or another antenna.
Doubtful, my father in Flovilla (50 miles to the south) has always had a hard time pulling in WTBS's analog signal (I spent many an evening at 7:05 adjusting the big outdoor antenna so he could see a Braves game), and has never been able to get the digital signal.

WPCH is on channel 8307, it is available under spotbeam 6 on satellite 110. I get this channel by 'moving' to Atlanta...I am a big Braves fan, and I can't miss them, but I hate they won't be on TBS-HD this year. WPCH is an ok channel, but basically the same shows that comes on TBS, with the exception of Sanford and Son and In the heat of the Night. If you can get spotbeam #6 off of 110 satellite in Alabama, trying 'moving' to ATL in April. :)

Derwin

for a long time though SC had WGN Superstiaion..they just recently changed to the local feed when WGN left C-band analog.

EVu had TBS while SC had WTBS..now they both carry the OTA feeds which are cheaper

How do I 'move' to Atlanta?

Thanx!

WPCH is on channel 8307, it is available under spotbeam 6 on satellite 110. I get this channel by 'moving' to Atlanta...I am a big Braves fan, and I can't miss them, but I hate they won't be on TBS-HD this year. WPCH is an ok channel, but basically the same shows that comes on TBS, with the exception of Sanford and Son and In the heat of the Night. If you can get spotbeam #6 off of 110 satellite in Alabama, trying 'moving' to ATL in April. :)

WGN similarly cleared most of it's programming nationally, but a couple years after the WB started, decided to remove WB programming from the national feed in order not to draw viewers away from other WB affiliates (WB never achieved network status, per law, so network exclusivity never entered the equation, especially since Tribune owned most of the WB affiliates anyway).

If I'm not mistaken, Tribune (WGN's owner) had a minority stake in The WB, and since most of Tribune's stations were WB affils, the move was made to help them more than non-Tribune affils. Of course, there's a lot about the 90s I can't remember, so I could very well be full of excrement on this.

I e-mailed Dish about putting WPCH into their Superstation package. Replay was: We will look into this." That means no soap. I also live in Alabama nd have looked at the spotbeat footprint from Atlanta. I may move if my better half will let me. It would be perfect if we could get both Atlanta and Birmingham. We can get three of the four Atlanta network stations as "distant" channels but no WPCH.

heres what they told me..

Thank you for your email. We understand your concerns. We would like to add Peachtree TV (WPCH) channel sooner to make viewers like you happy. However we do not have any specific information regarding your inquiry. Please understand that it is our intent to add a variety of programming and services to please current and future subscribers. We will gladly forward your request to our Programming Department for further consideration.
Again, we value your input as we continually review our options in order to provide a compelling lineup for our viewers. Please stay tuned for consumer Charlie Chats that are broadcast monthly on Channel 101 or logon to our website for future programming announcements.
Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to DISH Network -- Home or reply to this email.

Sincerely,
Charles Drake V.

I was watching Fox South yesterday and they were advervtising brave games in hd on Sportsouth and Fox South. I do not know the number of games that will be in hd.

Thank you for your email. We understand your concerns. We would like to add Peachtree TV (WPCH) channel sooner to make viewers like you happy. However we do not have any specific information regarding your inquiry. Please understand that it is our intent to add a variety of programming and services to please current and future subscribers. We will gladly forward your request to our Programming Department for further consideration.
Again, we value your input as we continually review our options in order to provide a compelling lineup for our viewers. Please stay tuned for consumer Charlie Chats that are broadcast monthly on Channel 101 or logon to our website for future programming announcements.
Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to DISH Network -- Home or reply to this email.

Sincerely,
Charles Drake V.

I dont know why they keep saying that .It is even on their website and on an email they sent me???The last charlie chat was in march and on the chat they said the next one would be in June! That certainly isnt MONTHLY!!

Sincerely,
Charles Drake V.

That's the exact same form letter I got when I first inquired about the Big Ten Network last summer (before it was added).

Maybe we could all have a little fun and inquire about non-existent channels and see what they have to say about that. :)

They stated that all Braves HOME games will be in HD this year.

While the home games have always been filmed in HD, it doesn't mean Dish Network will light up the RSN in HD just for that game, there was several games last season that they didn't show in HD even though it was filmed in HD (ie Home Games!)...

I am in the Atlanta Spotbeam so I currently have WPCH (Peachtree TV), however not all of the Braves fans can be in the same spotbeam and I feel bad Dish can't do anything about it, not even MLB Extra Innings!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)