Peaking 1000.2 with receiver only

thedamaja

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
South Bend, IN
I plan on grabbing a 1000.2 but, need to know if it's possible to aim/peak with only a Vip211? I don't currently have a peaking meter as the install docs suggest.

I did some searching and couldn't find a clear answer.

Thanks

RandallA - Why would that be easier than just using the receiver? I've never aimed a 1000.2, but I know with a 500 it is just as easy with the receiver. Am I missing something that I don't know about the 1000.2?

Thanks, just wanted to make sure as the install manual doesn't just come out and say it.

I've installed my own 300, 500 and 1000, all using the receiver with no problems.

I plan on grabbing a 1000.2 but, need to know if it's possible to aim/peak with only a Vip211? I don't currently have a peaking meter as the install docs suggest.

I did some searching and couldn't find a clear answer.

Thanks

With having installed all my own equipment since subscribing to Dish and some added support by members such as RandallA I was able to peak our 1000.2 using a 625. It took many trips up on the roof and I can't say that I'm totally satisfied with my final readings but its done. We now have a Vip622 and I haven't experienced any problems with the dish itself or its built in switch. My wife on the other hand did get tired of calling out readings.

Well, it's not easier than using a receiver. The receiver works just fine.

The satellite finder helps you find the satellite while you're up there on the roof without the receiver and to me that makes it easier. Granted, I always use the receiver to peak the signal but that's after I found the satellite with the satellite finder. You could peak the signal with the satellite finder too, just lower the sensitivity.

Oh, it has nothing to do with the 1000.2. The same applies to any dish.

"My wife on the other hand did get tired of calling out readings."

Exactly, my poor daughter got tired of yelling at me and I got tired of getting up and down the ladder after she got tired. So if you do the initial finding with the sat. finder, it makes it easier.

Just found this software that should help with finding angles for all satellites.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1142330194/1

Gottcha! The only reason that I asked is that I'm going to be using a 1000.2 for my tailgate setup this fall for football season. I wanted to make sure there was something that I wasn't thinking about.

In my experience, the easier way to peak a 1000.2 is to peak on 119 TP11. Once you get the max on that TP, the others will just fall into place (110, 129). Of course this is assuming you have the right azimuth, skew and elevation angle all set. Might get a little more out of 129 with raising the elevation by 1 degree.

get a long extention cord and a portable dvd player (works great if u already have both or could barrow one)... and then climb up and now u have a little sat finder right there with you.

I have sold dozens of these to my customers and they're almost all completely satisfied and able to use them without fail.:)

Just wondering why you would need to set up a dish like that for a tailgate party? Point a Dish 500 w/DPDual at whatever orbital your game comes on...

The tailgate parties are an all day event. I go to the actual game I'm tailgating for, but there are dozens of other games on all day that we all watch while grilling food, and hanging out. I have always used a 500 in the past, but this year I'm going to have an HD TV there so I need 129 to pick up the HD networks and HDRSNs.

The tailgate parties are an all day event. I go to the actual game I'm tailgating for, but there are dozens of other games on all day that we all watch while grilling food, and hanging out. I have always used a 500 in the past, but this year I'm going to have an HD TV there so I need 129 to pick up the HD networks and HDRSNs.

So point a Dish 500 at 129. You can even use a DP Twin and pick up 129 and 119 at the same time. A 1000.2 on a tripod will be too unstable, especially if the wind blows or someone bumps it.

So point a Dish 500 at 129. You can even use a DP Twin and pick up 129 and 119 at the same time. A 1000.2 on a tripod will be too unstable, especially if the wind blows or someone bumps it.

No I need all 3 birds for various games (I like to keep my options open). That is the whole point. The HD Locals are on 129, the ESPN's are on 119 and the SD locals (games are carried on the MY network are on 110) and I think that the PPV sports channels are split between 110 and 119 (although don't quote me on that), so The problem with your solution is that I then have to tote 2 dishes, two tripods, and I'd have to plumb two masts. There is no reason to do everything twice when you can just do it once. I have a 1000.2 that I just bought last week sitting on the pole on the tripod in my garage right now and it is very steady. In fact it appears no less steady than the 500 that I used last year. If any portable dish "gets bumped" it will need to be realigned whether it is a 300 a 500 or one of the 1000s. The key is putting it somewhere out of the way so this doesn't happen.

Some might say I'm taking tailgating to the extreme. To those people I say :up

A lot of people think that the 1000.2 is huge. IMO, it's not that big and shouldn't be a problem with winds. Well unless you have a hurricane coming. Now the Directv 5 lnbs dish, that's huge.

IT isn't that much larger than a dish 1000. The width is 24" and the height is similar to a dish 500 at about 20.5 ". But if a hurricane is coming my way I am definately taking mine down till it's over. My last sat dish 500 got crushed into a C by hurricane Rita in 2005.

Yeah, it really isn't too much bigger. I put it up against my 1000 the other day and there is only a minimal difference. The biggest difference that I see is the length of the arm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)