Philadelphia Locals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
I hope someone can help...

Two or three weeks ago my Mom began complaining that her local Philadelphia channels are no longer being received, but she can still receive other channels such as Lifetime, Hallmark, etc. I thought perhaps snow and ice falling off the roof misaligned the dish, but then I remembered that her dish is one of the first single LNB models that was installed over 20 years ago. If she is receiving other channels then she should also be receiving the local channels as well.

Questions:
1) Have the Philadelphia local channels been relocated to another satellite?
2) Would DirecTV realign the dish at no charge since she has been a subscriber for over 20 years?
3) Would DirecTV replace the dish with a new current model at no charge?

She subscribes to the Entertainment package and has a SD DVR receiver. She NEVER records anything, so even the receiver could be replaced.

I'm thinking of having Dish Network install a new dish and receiver at no cost if she would be willing to switch. However, she enjoys her DirecTV and likes having the Entertainment package.

It's been 20 years since Directv began, so she must have some very old equipment. I'm thinking they would be willing at the least to replace her old lnb. If she wants to drop the dvr, then have a tech come to get it. When he shows up, have him check the signal strengths. He should align the dish when he is there.

It's been 20 years since Directv began, so she must have some very old equipment.
looking at the op's posts his mom got a new (replacement) receiver in oct 2012

I'm thinking they would be willing at the least to replace her old lnb. If she wants to drop the dvr, then have a tech come to get it. When he shows up, have him check the signal strengths. He should align the dish when he is there.

I agree.
Also philly SD locals are on 101 tp4 & 12 (main on 12 minor on 4) so maybe she can check signal on those in the menu. Since its SD pretty much everything on 101 should be in the 90's signal wise except for spotbeams which may be at 0

My Mom has a R15-300 receiver and she is paying $10 a month for DVR service that she never uses. While logged onto her DirecTV account I saw a "Remove DVR Fee" within the breakdown of her charges. Can this DVR fee be removed? I was told that the DVR fee was required if she is to keep the R15-300 receiver.

If you have a dvr, you pay the fee. You might be able to get a credit toward it.

It bothers me that new subscribers can get the Entertainment package for $29 a month for 12 months with a free HD Genie when my Mom pays $60 a month for the same Entertainment package with a SD receiver when she has an HD TV. Plus right now she's only receiving a small handful of channels due to a misaligned dish or receiver problem.

It bothers me that new subscribers can get the Entertainment package for $29 a month for 12 months with a free HD Genie when my Mom pays $60 a month for the same Entertainment package with a SD receiver when she has an HD TV. Plus right now she's only receiving a small handful of channels due to a misaligned dish or receiver problem.

she could have upgraded back in 2012 when the existing receiver crapped out

But lets compare apples to apples
29.99 for programming
25.00 for DVR/HD/Whole Home (yes you have to pay for whole home even with just a Genie...existing subs if they upgrade shouldnt have the $5 whole home fee)
-10.00 for HD (with auto pay)

so call retention and see what they can do for ya.

It bothers me that people don't understand how introductory offers work.

It bothers me that people don't understand how introductory offers work.

It bothers me when people defend illogical pricing by a large corporation. His mother should call and threaten to cancel. And do so if the same deal can't be matched.

I am sure dish would help her...

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Update: After several weeks with no TV my Mom called DirecTV and they sent out a technician the very next day. He first inspected the dish to see if it had gotten out of position. Once inside he said "WOW who installed that dish?" My Mom then replied "My Son". He said it is the best dish installation he has seen. It is grounded and is locked into position so tight that it will never move in high winds, snow or heavy rain. He then checked the receiver and determined it was faulty. He replaced it with a newer black SD DVR model free of charge and now my Mom can enjoy her TV once again. My Mom said that customer service and the technician were both so nice that she plans on remaining a DirecTV subscriber for a very long time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts