Phone Line / Internet Connection

mfauls

Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
New Jersey
What is the advantage of hooking up on a VIP receiver? Thinking about running a line (we just got Dish), but I'm not seeing why I would want to do that? My understanding is there will not be a $5 monthly charge on a VIP receiver without a phone line. I can look at my bill online and it seems like Dish on Demand is similar to Pay per View. Please let me know if I am missing anything. Thanks.

What is the advantage of hooking up on a VIP receiver? Thinking about running a line (we just got Dish), but I'm not seeing why I would want to do that? My understanding is there will not be a $5 monthly charge on a VIP receiver without a phone line. I can look at my bill online and it seems like Dish on Demand is similar to Pay per View. Please let me know if I am missing anything. Thanks.

The $5 fee you would be saving is the Programming Access Fee. It is charged for every Dual Tuner receiver you have in your home. Often confused with the Additional Outlet fee of $5 which is charged for every physical box you have in your home beyond the first.

Dish on demand are movies that are contained within your receivers hard drive, not needing to be picked from a channel, have shorter viewing periods than regular ppv. These require a phone line/ethernet connection same as with regular ppv.

Also with a phone line connection you can access account info from Ch. 101.

when they hooked mine up they said I only had to have one box in the whole house hooked up to phone or internet to not get the fees. we actually have two 612s on internet, and 2 211ks with nothing. Would i get a credit if I hookup the 211ks, i don't see them charing any extra fees in the bill.

So - with the internet / phone connection, I am able to download a movie and see my bill online. Are there any other advantages or is that it?

A broadband connection was needed for Remote Access but I think that can now be done by satellite although it still mentions setting up the DNS address. I know it just works with BB, again.
-Ken

Some remote access features are available without a phone/ethernet line. But full management of your dvr hard drive require your receiver to be able to "talk back" to provide information about your recordings and timers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts