Phone Line + Voom Box + Misinformation

Voomster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
SF Bay Area
I've been running my voom box without the phone hooked up for three months
a few days ago I lost all programming all channels but still had all channel numeric designators in tact

Called Voom customer service and found out they are not even sure exactly and technically the "Why" of the phone line but I hooked it up that night and was downloaded all new set of descriptors for channel programming.

But was left wondering if voom transmitted it to me on request and I enabled then by setting the Voom Box in (SAT) sleep mode that night or did the phone line connection of 2am till dawn actually do anything to facilitate
my new descriptor profile download :what

or was it just something I did that caused my PacBell DSL to a loss of 25% from my T-1 DSL line ????? :river

Since Voom has no real reason to keep my phone line connected to it's box other then a total guess ?

Can any of you establish a technical reason for a phone line to be connected
and if it needs to be ... exactly how often and when ?

:wave Voomster

Point #1: Phone connection will be necessary to get PPV. Currently, there are no PPV events, so you really don't need it now. However--it is in the customer agreement that you agree to keep a phone line connected.

Point #2: Eventually, software or firmware updates may be sent via phone lines.

Point #3: Other posts tonight indicate that the new firmware is being downloaded soon. 1st indication of this is that your PG is messed up. Voom is advising subs to put STB in sleep mode, and let the download occur. Check your version number and see if it is something other than 5.68. If so--you got the new firmware, and I doubt that the phone had anything to do with that, since they are loading it via satellite. Voom may have 'hit' your box because of the PG being messed up.

And to follow on point #1, it is not just for PPV. It is a security feature to make sure your box is where you say it is.

Your issue was a coincidence, if you've been reading the other posts around here you would have been aware of the fact that there was a Guide issue the last 3 days and it went away temporarily and came back yesterday.

madpoet said:
And to follow on point #1, it is not just for PPV. It is a security feature to make sure your box is where you say it is.

I've always wondered why people think this. Did someone at VOOM say this is a reason for the phone line?

This is such a weaksauce requirement. I am ready to pull the trigger on the $80 package, but can't since I need a f#*&in landline. If the need for a phone line mitigates some upstream requirement, get some bi-directionality going on the satellite. You're leaving potential customers out in the cold Voom. :(

i have noticed the 800# that was new (i called it to hear the squeal) is now NOT hooked up ..i have gotten "succesful and non-connects when i try it myself..this seems it's going to be a nightmare

I don't think there would be any way to send data from your satellite dish to a satellite in outer space. That would require a big transmittor with a lot of power I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

seandudley said:
I don't think there would be any way to send data from your satellite dish to a satellite in outer space. That would require a big transmittor with a lot of power I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It is possible. This is how satellite internet providers such as DiRECWAY can operate without using a landline for upstream.

Voomster...

Phone Line + Voom Box = Requirement for service

Misinformation = What you gave VOOM when the asked if you understood the phone line was required. :)

Sure, it's possible...

tabooyah said:
It is possible. This is how satellite internet providers such as DiRECWAY can operate without using a landline for upstream.

I doubt VOOM will incorperate "uplinking" anytime soon, and certainly not without redesigning the whole system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts