phone lines, dtv...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mileslong

Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
united states
im new to this forum... i googled satellite forum and this is the first thing that came up.

basically, im a private contractor for directv... and phone lines have increasingly become a HUGE issue... there are no if, ands or buts about it.

the problem is, as im sure this is not the first thread here about this.... is that almost nobody uses home phone service anymore... and when they do 60% of the time its COX digital telephone, and i CAN NOT figure out how to activate the receiver through digital telephone.

so my %'s are rediculously low, and im receiving a lot of unwanted heat from it.

does anyone know how to filter a digital telephone so that i can activate through them??? im seriously in jeopardy of losing my job because my %'s are so low, and i literally have no control over who does/doesn't have home phone service. :(

I'd hire a lawyer to look into this.

If a customer does not have a land line phone it shouldn't be held against you. You shouldn't be penalized for something that is 100 % out of your control.

im new to this forum... i googled satellite forum and this is the first thing that came up.

basically, im a private contractor for directv... and phone lines have increasingly become a HUGE issue... there are no if, ands or buts about it.

the problem is, as im sure this is not the first thread here about this.... is that almost nobody uses home phone service anymore... and when they do 60% of the time its COX digital telephone, and i CAN NOT figure out how to activate the receiver through digital telephone.

so my %'s are rediculously low, and im receiving a lot of unwanted heat from it.

does anyone know how to filter a digital telephone so that i can activate through them??? im seriously in jeopardy of losing my job because my %'s are so low, and i literally have no control over who does/doesn't have home phone service. :(
Welcome to the site !

Might want to check the Installers Forum :up

Press the right arrow and active button on the front of the receiver and

Change the call waiting prefix to *99

Make sure the polarity is correct on all phone lines. Use a tester.

Also, if they have internet, hook into their router if possible, then there is no need for a phone line except for the caller ID feature. Ethernet connections will ping and will keep DTV happy.

One more trick if the customer doesn't have a land line, test the phone jacks, a lot are still live for 911 purposes, these will ping sometimes too.

Press the right arrow and active button on the front of the receiver and

Change the call waiting prefix to *99

Make sure the polarity is correct on all phone lines. Use a tester.

Also, if they have internet, hook into their router if possible, then there is no need for a phone line except for the caller ID feature. Ethernet connections will ping and will keep DTV happy.

One more trick if the customer doesn't have a land line, test the phone jacks, a lot are still live for 911 purposes, these will ping sometimes too.

IF all that works...you da man!

I was going to suggest just telling the office management to f**k off...if they fire you for this apply for unemployment...get into a real job...but let the HSP and or Directv management explain about the phone deal to a local government entity that can cost them some bucks for this abuse.

Why move this thread away from Directv users?

Joe

am i missing something when did you need a phone line to activate a receiver or need one at all. I have never had a lan line in my homes
My wife and I have cells so what is the point having a 50 dollars bill that is never used

am i missing something when did you need a phone line to activate a receiver or need one at all. I have never had a lan line in my homes
My wife and I have cells so what is the point having a 50 dollars bill that is never used

Just my opinion, but I think DirecTV uses it to spy on you - they sell your viewing habits- but somehow it's not invasion of privacy

IF all that works...you da man!

I was going to suggest just telling the office management to f**k off...if they fire you for this apply for unemployment...get into a real job...but let the HSP and or Directv management explain about the phone deal to a local government entity that can cost them some bucks for this abuse.

Why move this thread away from Directv users?

Joe

im 1099.. no unemployment.

im 1099.. no unemployment.

I'm 1099 also...or used to be,

I'm also $60,00 per hour, When I speak with HSPs I mention that is a minimum. IF they are connected with MASTEC or DirectSatUSA I need the first week in advance. I need the name of the bank they plan to use to pay me. I also ask to speak to one of their techs who has been with them over a year. I ask for the name of the Charter Receiver ( names change from state to state)..(the entity who receives court papers )
and IF they are a registered corporation in my state (MD).

IF you get anything but contact numbers or a request to submit your e-mail so they can send you some references........you are dealing with crooks...."I can't pay you until I am paid.............bull sh*t! Do not deal with those ass holes!

What I feel is fair is:...we will pay you for your first week of work upon invoice. Then we will inspect all your work and either discontinue your relationship with this firm...we may charge you to repair defective installations....suggest changes in your technique....or request that you increase your capacity to accept work of similar quality.

I feel anything less than that....f**k "em!

Joe

OPPS!

THEY say and have given you a 1099. This could be an illegal step on their part. IF you feel you were treated as an employee.........controled in the way you conducted your operation.... the whole deal can be reversed. You get unemployment....punitive (x3) damages...your money owed with interest. The list goes on. I am not a lawyer but you need to do some homework in your state! Bring all paperwork from who you were dealing with. Start with state (free) departments).

It is not over until you roll over!

Last edited:
I had my service activated back in December and I don't have a land line. The installer called up Directv after installing everything and had it up and running within 5 minutes.

I had my service activated back in December and I don't have a land line. The installer called up Directv after installing everything and had it up and running within 5 minutes.

AmarilloHD,
You are missing what is going on here. Yes the Directv system will work without a phone connection but, what is happening and being objected to is the practice of NOT paying the installer if the phone line is not connected.

This means:

You have no land line phone.........................tech gets back charged. $5.00 up
You refuse to let the connection be made...... " " " " " ".
You disconnect the phone line connection.........." " " " " ".

And, if the tech has no telco training and dumps your land line phone system, guess who gets thrown under the bus?

For that matter, pretend you forget how to work your remote control and call Directv within 90 days...guess who gets hit with a $100.00 charge back?

So you get situations where the tech tells the customer the phone system connection is part of the Free installation; reject the phone connection and you will pay me $600.00 before the installation will begin. Stuff like that happens because the techs get handed so much warm and drippy sh*t.

Your system will be fine without the phone connection....Caller ID will not work nor will PPV ordering. That is all.

Joe

I'm sorry the tech is getting screwed but that has nothing to do with me. It sounds like some unethical business practices by Directv.

And I order PPV all the time with no problems. I don't even have to call Directv to order them. I point and shoot on the remote and I'm gtg. And I don't need caller id because I have a cell phone with caller id.

And I order PPV all the time with no problems. I don't even have to call Directv to order them. I point and shoot on the remote and I'm gtg. And I don't need caller id because I have a cell phone with caller id.

Your card will eventually shut the receiver down untill you connect it to a phone line, then you will get the bill.

Unless your receiver is connected to the internet. Then you already get the bill

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)