phone wire

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

learnwhatican

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 28, 2006
Is there any advantage over wound CAT-5 wire vs. good phone wire if there are no possible uses for the line other than a basic phone connection.
My father is rewiring his house and wants to use CAT-5, and I'm trying to talk him out of it as I have lots of good phone line he can use for free, and CAT-5 is not cheap.
I know this is not a true satellite question, but I figure there are plenty of people here with some experience in this.

learnwhatican said:
Is there any advantage over wound CAT-5 wire vs. good phone wire if there are no possible uses for the line other than a basic phone connection.
My father is rewiring his house and wants to use CAT-5, and I'm trying to talk him out of it as I have lots of good phone line he can use for free, and CAT-5 is not cheap.
I know this is not a true satellite question, but I figure there are plenty of people here with some experience in this.

Cat 5 over all is better, for obvious reasons...

That said, for Plain Old Telephones, No Cat 5 is not nessasary.

I put in phones every day and the company supplies Cat 3, Suggestion, If your Dad is going to be using DSL or computer thru the phone lines, then I would suggest using Cat 5

Jimbo

yes, he does use dial-up
i've called him since posting this and DSL is NOW available to him, so i guess the cat-5 will be good for ethernet

new question, how reliable is satellite internet. i did a job for a customer who said it was a patchy connection that went out. didn't know if it was a bad dish pointing, faulty lnb, bad computer, or the standard.

I would also agree with the above and add: why settle on the cheaper or free POT wire now and then have to go back later and upgrade at an even higher additional costs; just go ahead and do the upgrade up front; IMHO.

charper1 said:
I would also agree with the above and add: why settle on the cheaper or free POT wire now and then have to go back later and upgrade at an even higher additional costs; just go ahead and do the upgrade up front; IMHO.

Yes , IF he has DSL soon to be availabe, I would go with the Cat 5.
Personally, I would avoid the Sat internet.
It's also, not owned by D* anymore, or soon not to be, I heard about this awhile back.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Jimbos said:
It's also, not owned by D* anymore, or soon not to be, I heard about this awile back.

Jimbo

Hughes has always been owners of the former Direcway.

learnwhatican,

If a sat internet is installed right it will work fine. I am working on gettting some pics from some of my installs and service calls that will be posted in the satellite internet forum within the next month. It will basically be a guide on what to look for if you are thinking about having one installed.

The Tate said:

learnwhatican,

If a sat internet is installed right it will work fine. I am working on gettting some pics from some of my installs and service calls that will be posted in the satellite internet forum within the next month. It will basically be a guide on what to look for if you are thinking about having one installed.

Hey Tate,

Directway IS owned by Hughes and continues to be, however, I heard that Hughes has nothing to do with D* anymore (D* being Newscorp, Murdoch) not Hughes any longer.

Was the article I read bogus, I heard that it was split up (Hughes/GM) back in the day ...

The Tate said:

learnwhatican,

Satellite internet will work fine for downloads, you get around 1 meg speed. It is the upload speeds that will hurt you. If you want to send large email files it will be almost like dial up speed but downloads can be quite acceptable.

I had this service until cable came to the woods, it served its purpose well but cable rocks in comparison. :D

Ex Direcway said:
Satellite internet will work fine for downloads, you get around 1 meg speed. It is the upload speeds that will hurt you. If you want to send large email files it will be almost like dial up speed but downloads can be quite acceptable.

I had this service until cable came to the woods, it served its purpose well but cable rocks in comparison. :D

With the new 7000 upload speeds are 128 for home or 200 for pro, you actrually get around 100 for home and 160 for pro but it is a great improvement with what they use to be.

Jimbos,
Yes Hughes is the sole owner of Direcway now and the name is Hughesnet.
This is the statement they released.

Dear DIRECWAY Channel Partner,

We’ve got important news! DIRECWAY will soon have a new name.

In January, SkyTerra Communications, Inc. announced that its wholly owned subsidiary, Hughes Communications, Inc. completed the purchase of the remaining 50% of Hughes Network Systems, LLC (HNS) from The DIRECTV Group, Inc. We are now 100% owned by Hughes Communications.

With this new ownership change, we've chosen to change the name of our DIRECWAY broadband-by-satellite service. The new name is HughesNet!

I would also just run cat5 - a local electrical supply house should be $40 to $50 for 1000 feet. I had used cat3 prior, but, now cat 5 is just as cheap.

In the scheme of things, slightly higher cost of cat5 is negligible, and you might regret not putting it in later.

I have had WildBlue sat internet since last fall and it has been very reliable. 1.5 to 1.6meg download speeds and ~200k upload speeds.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)