Photos From Dish Network Booth

Can we find out if the 612 is going to have the DP Separator built into the receiver or are they going to have more garbage behind the box. They really need to go one wire in, one HDMI out for a clean install.

What is the black box with the VIP211K sign on top of it? Is it just a black 211? K=Black??

- Paul

Last edited:
It's funny that the picture fo the 100 HD Locals map shows a green dot right where Tampa is located, yet that was not on the list. Is there any hope for Tampa or is Dish just geographically challenged.

converter from the Swanni

Nice pics...what about the EchoStar digital-to-analog converter box...details?

News
CES: EchoStar to Sell $40 Digital TV Converters
The price will meet the federal government's coupon subsidy.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (January 7, 2008) -- EchoStar today announced that it will sell a Digital TV converter box for $39.99.

At that price, consumers could buy a converter box with a $40 coupon provided by the federal government without having to spend their own money.

Other companies that have announced converter boxes have said they will cost around $60-70.

On February 17, 2009, all local broadcasters must switch their analog signals to digital which means viewers will need a Digital TV, a digital converter box or a pay TV subscription to watch television.

The federal government last week began accepting applications for $40 coupons for people to buy Digital TV converter boxes which will permit analog TVs to display the new digital signals. Americans are eligible for two coupons each.

EchoStar, the sister unit of DISH Network, said its TR-40 converter box will be available in "limited quantities in March and "unlimited quantities" in June.

In July, the company will introduce the TR-50 DVR converter box, which will include a Digital Video Recorder. Pricing for the TR-50 DVR will be established in the coming months, the company said.

"While DISH Network has always offered 100 percent digital programming, we know there are still a lot of consumers who have analog TV sets and want to ensure they can continue to watch their favorite over-the-air programming without interruption," said Mark Jackson, president of EchoStar Holding Corporation.

It's funny that the picture fo the 100 HD Locals map shows a green dot right where Tampa is located, yet that was not on the list. Is there any hope for Tampa or is Dish just geographically challenged.

the list is not the only markets dish is adding, just the first batch

Scott, please provide more info on the DLNA if all possible, thanks for the time and pics.

The plan to sell a $40 TV converter is a sure way to make some money off the back of the feds. Since it costs subs no additional, and with two per houseshold, that is over one billion sales in the bag if they promote this thing correctly.

I can see them doing a commercial on ch100, telling people what to do to easily get the two coupons and mail them to E* in exchange of two converters, E* can then act as a coupon clearing house:)

Scott, please provide more info on the DLNA if all possible, thanks for the time and pics.

The plan to sell a $40 TV converter is a sure way to make some money off the back of the feds. Since it costs subs no additional, and with two per houseshold, that is over one billion sales in the bag if they promote this thing correctly.

I can see them doing a commercial on ch100, telling people what to do to easily get the two coupons and mail them to E* in exchange of two converters, E* can then act as a coupon clearing house:)

I just applied for my coupon today. The application does ask if you have (1) NO TVs hooked to sat or cable OR (2) all or some of your TVs hooked to sat or cable. I am thinking non-sat/non-cable households will be given priority for coupon distribution. As a DISH customer, I do receive my locals -- however, I use my OTA antenna to get locals from my adjacent DMA which DISH does not provide.

Eric

In case anyone's wondering, you can't use the $40 coupons towards the purchase of this box. I believe the HD output capability excludes it from this program.

As for fees, how could there be any ? This will be for non-satellite customers (primarily). Of course, Dish (or Direct or cable) customers can buy and use these but I think the focus is consumers who are currently analog OTA-only today. That said, I don't think this level of consumer will be interested in DVR'ing....

They night charge with the excuse that youa re getting guide data. I am not saying that they will just that they could.

Joking here of course...

C'mon Hall... you can't see it now? 119 dish for EPG requirement and you have to pay your DVR fee.
Hey, I did consider that they'd require you to connect it to a phone line and when it phones home, if you're not paid up, it stops working.

On a serious note, will they rely on PSIP data for DVR'ing ? They'll have to or they *will* use a phone connection to retrieve guide data. Isn't that how TiVo does it ?

I just applied for my coupon today. The application does ask if you have (1) NO TVs hooked to sat or cable OR (2) all or some of your TVs hooked to sat or cable. I am thinking non-sat/non-cable households will be given priority for coupon distribution. As a DISH customer, I do receive my locals -- however, I use my OTA antenna to get locals from my adjacent DMA which DISH does not provide.

Eric

Not true - for the first round, anyone can get coupons, even if you're hooked to cable or sat. This was a compromise in the House of Rep's, IIRC. They're probably collecting the data to get a better handle on how many consumers get their TV by OTA only. Later in the process, the coupons will be limited to OTA-only households.

Brad

Eric

I doubt it will make much difference, just a data point. I think the politicians realize people with cable and DBS may have more voting power than those just on OTA. In fact there is a push in Congress to expand the program because they may have underestimated those that already have cable and sat but still have TV's on rabbit ear only.

Can we find out if the 612 is going to have the DP Separator built into the receiver or are they going to have more garbage behind the box. They really need to go one wire in, one HDMI out for a clean install.

I would say there will always be a seperator on all dual tuners due to the fact of legacey and DP LNBs / switches would still require a 2 line solution. There is still plenty of legacey equipment still out there.

The TR-50 is MPEG 4 for Ethernet content (VOD so dish can sell PPV to OTA users)

Also, they said future proof - incase OTA ever goes MPEG4???

TR50 is nice device - but no details about cost or how they will market it. Sounds like a monthly fee type situation - which would probally kill this product.

The TR-50 is MPEG 4 for Ethernet content (VOD so dish can sell PPV to OTA users)

Also, they said future proof - incase OTA ever goes MPEG4???

TR50 is nice device - but no details about cost or how they will market it. Sounds like a monthly fee type situation - which would probally kill this product.

Thank you. Depending on how much is the monthly fee though. If it is say $2/mo. it is a reasonable deal. Did the picture show what is the size of this box?

Here is a closeup of the 100 HD Locals map... for what it is worth...

Attachments

• IMG_3728.JPG
    IMG_3728.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 621
What is the black box with the VIP211K sign on top of it? Is it just a black 211? K=Black??

Which picture shows that(message#, row, number from left or such)

And is 2llk the same as the current 211?

Further, will the current 211 for sale be able to do the DVR thing?

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)