and they can't seem to put the dots anywhere near the major city

but for my state it looks like

Miami
WPB (yippie :)) or it could be naples :(
Orlando
Tampa
Jacksonville
Tallahasse

they better add WPB!! Otherwise I may go media center or myth tv and xetremehd at some point.. :)

CNET says there is no fee since it uses the free TVGOS. They say its basically an ota only 622.

EchoStar TR-50: HD DVR for the antenna crowd - CES 2008 - Consumer Electronics Show - CNET.com

There is a video but it won't play for me
Video: EchoStar TR-50 DVR - CNET Reviews

Cool video...looks like a nice unit. Wonder how far they will go with the hard drive nonsense. Let us swap the hard drives...let us pull the content off the box if we want. No need to encrypt on this one or lock it down. As you can record OTA stuff with many other devices for PC's.

Now that would be a must have box! QAM256 anyone? ;)

and they can't seem to put the dots anywhere near the major city

but for my state it looks like

Miami
WPB (yippie :)) or it could be naples :(
Orlando
Tampa
Jacksonville
Tallahasse

I know that we should be a part of Alabama, but they have a dot over Pensacola, FLORIDA( the last time I checked, we were in Florida). You must be a politicain, since most of the state funding seems to go to South Florida.

Cool video...looks like a nice unit. Wonder how far they will go with the hard drive nonsense. Let us swap the hard drives...let us pull the content off the box if we want. No need to encrypt on this one or lock it down. As you can record OTA stuff with many other devices for PC's.

Now that would be a must have box! QAM256 anyone? ;)
Looks like it could also be used by the FTA crowd to record via the FTA box's modulated RF output. That is assuming it supports manual timers (preferably with IR blaster support). Even if it does not support manual timers, it looks like it could be used for trick play.

There are other ways to achieve this, but if the box is fee-free and affordable it could be a good choice for some.

I just hope the OTA tuner is better than the one in my 622 that seems to lack sensitivity.

The TR-50 would be a nice solution for recording two OTA's at the same time. Wonder how much?

Not sure, but this to me is one of the most exciting announcements. It's partially cashing in on the emerging STB market for those who are OTA only users, and at the same time sending a shot right over Tivo's bow when it comes to stand alone DVRs. At least where OTA only is concerned. Think about it. Someone who would be ust sing OTA, and might concider Tivo, would have the option of a good, two tuner DVR with NO FEE. Possibly an attractive option.

My eyes lit up when I saw that box. I know a few people that would be interested in this box if it is done right.

Even though I have an HTPC with 2 satellite tuners, 3 OTA/QAM tuners, and over a TB of hard drive space, I still would like to play with this unit.

I'd be glad to beta test this unit for them ;)

I could see using the TR 50 for my back tv, instead of the 622 since we don't use it that much for tv viewing. Then I could eliminate one dvr fee and one additional receiver fee and save about 11.98 a month. Then I could sell the extra 622 . I might even use one on my living room tv too , then I could record three ota stations at the same time using my 722 and the Tr 50. According to the video and report there won't be any monthly fee since they use Tv guide information . Now that I know that many of the same features as my sat 722 will be in this box including external hard drive support , I have to have one. I just hope that they don't charge to much for the box.

CNET says there is no fee since it uses the free TVGOS. They say its basically an ota only 622.

EchoStar TR-50: HD DVR for the antenna crowd - CES 2008 - Consumer Electronics Show - CNET.com

There is a video but it won't play for me
Video: EchoStar TR-50 DVR - CNET Reviews

This is pretty good news... I've been thinking of a Tivo HD box, but don't like the idea of the monthly fees..I wonder if the TR-50 will have any fees associated with it? If not, if it is truly a zero monthly fee OTA HD DVR, I'll likely buy one!

Even though the EPG is free that does not mean the DVR functions will be free. I don't think Charlie is that stupid if he can make a few bucks more a month, maybe less monthly fee than Tivo but I found it hard to believe it would be free of monthly charges, a lot of E* subs will be downgrading DVR's on their 2nd, 3rd or 4th TVs.

I believe there will also be a fee for the dvr, but this could be a good replacement for my Sony DHG HDD250 Hd Dvr. It uses the TVGOS and has been bulletproof since I got it 2 years ago and it has no dvr fee but may not be compatible with the new digital TVGOS signal.

Did they announce that the TR-50, or the TR-40 for that matter, would be capable of handling QAM sources? I suspect they don't, but who knows? If the TR-50 had cable card slots it could compete head to head with Tivo! If you don't want cable, connect it via USB port to a model 211 receiver and you could have a fully functional Dish DVR solution. There are a number of intriguing potential uses for this box. I may have to check it out more closely.

Hmm 3 new Sats wonder where there going also does anyone know if they make NASCAR Skins for your Dish?? Oh great pics guys keep up the good work! :)

One of the three goes over by Europe somewhere because I understand it is targeted to provide service there. The other two (the replacement for two old satellites and the other one that I presume is where the new HD channels will reside) I don't know. There's a thread somewhere with the positions in them.

One of the three goes over by Europe somewhere because I understand it is targeted to provide service there. The other two (the replacement for two old satellites and the other one that I presume is where the new HD channels will reside) I don't know. There's a thread somewhere with the positions in them.

4 satellites

AMC-14 - 61.5w
Echostar 11 - 110w
Echostar 13 - China (don't worry about this one)
Ciel 2 - 129w

More info on Echo13 for those curious:
CMBStar 1 (Echostar 13)

Maybe they should have done the same thing with the TR-40 as they are going to do with the 211, have an optional external hard drive connected to it for DVR functionality, instead of making an additional TR-50 unit.

Maybe they should have done the same thing with the TR-40 as they are going to do with the 211, have an optional external hard drive connected to it for DVR functionality, instead of making an additional TR-50 unit.

Probably couldn't as it would be ineligible for the coupon program.

I've got 3 more pics from Dish booth that don't duplicate stuff posted earlier :)

The first is the back of the TR-50 (you'll note all the HD outputs - and only 1 OTA tuner, I'm not sure if this can watch and record, or just one of the two)

The second is the back of the TR-40 ($39 OTA for the coupon program)

Last - a picture of the guide from the TR series - looks just like the dish guide - but the IS using guide data from the PSIP stream. This could conceivably mean that Echostar could sell this TR-50 DVR with no montly fee, the question is will they...

Attachments

• IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    385.9 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    459.5 KB · Views: 335

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts