Photos From Dish Network Booth

Yeah - it could have two tuners inside, the brochure doesn't specify.

The picture has two RF jacks on it - so I want to point out that one of them is modulated output for channel 3/4, not a second input.

Here is a closeup of the 100 HD Locals map... for what it is worth...

*deep breath* Seriously -- if they skip over Cleveland while putting HD locals in all those other markets, its over. There are four dots in and around Idaho, but no Cleveland. There's a dot in western Ohio that for all I can figure is Findlay, OH. Man, you'd think they would've tried to make this map even close.

Last - a picture of the guide from the TR series - looks just like the dish guide - but the IS using guide data from the PSIP stream. This could conceivably mean that Echostar could sell this TR-50 DVR with no montly fee, the question is will they...
Why do you say it's using PSIP data ? It's showing Los Angeles channels and the box is in Las Vegas.... PSIP data doesn't go very far forward either, so they'd have to have hooked it up to an antenna in LA 1-3 days ago and then brought it with them.

And again, using PSIP data for a DVR's program guide is a poor idea. It's far too unreliable and doesn't go far enough ahead in time (in practice).

Thanks for those pics. :)
The first is the back of the TR-50 (you'll note all the HD outputs - and only 1 OTA tuner, I'm not sure if this can watch and record, or just one of the two)
The CNET report says it has both ATSC and NTSC tuners, and can record two programs while watching a 3rd previously-recorded program.

Yes it does have dual tuners and it can record both analog and digital. I read the review but I can't seem to post the web site link . It won't come up when I try.

I believe there will also be a fee for the dvr, but this could be a good replacement for my Sony DHG HDD250 Hd Dvr. It uses the TVGOS and has been bulletproof since I got it 2 years ago and it has no dvr fee but may not be compatible with the new digital TVGOS signal.

With Echostar spinning off from Dish Network, it may not charge for dvr. This could be a way for them to build brand recognition for the new stb business, and knock Tivo out of business. If they price these low enough and don't charge a dvr fee, they could absolutely destroy Tivo.

If they went no fee, they could also do a lot of damage to cable's and satellite's ability to charge dvr fees, but they may not care since E* and DN are different companies.

Possible scenario: Charlie sells Dish Network service to somebody (liberty or At&t) and then once it is no longer his problem he destroys their ability to charge for one of the biggest because-we-can fees. And if they (DN, D*, Comcast) still charges DVR fees after that, Charlie starts another Satellite service that doesn't (since the new E* spin-off will have all the infrastructure they need to do so.) Wouldn't that be a hoot.

*deep breath* Seriously -- if they skip over Cleveland while putting HD locals in all those other markets, its over. There are four dots in and around Idaho, but no Cleveland. There's a dot in western Ohio that for all I can figure is Findlay, OH. Man, you'd think they would've tried to make this map even close.

Would be my guess this is for Dayton, Ohio. That is where SD locals for my parents in Celina, Ohio come from.

The two or three dots in OH are anyone's guess.... The one in the upper-middle is apparently Cleveland but it's much closer to Toledo (Detroit locals are already available in HD from Dish). The one in the upper-left corner ?? No idea... Ft Wayne Indiana maybe ? The one near the middle-left is a bit north to be Dayton but between Dayton and Lima there are no TV markets, so Dayton is a possibility.

The engineer I spoke with said it uses PSIP data. It doesn't connect to satellite and doesn't require phone line like Tivo. That would be the only other way.

I'm not sure why it had LA, well try to find out.

LATV is a program, produced here in the LA area, targeted to a young Hispanic English/Spanish speaking audience. Wouldn't surprise me if they had an outlet there in Vegas.

What really excites me is the possibility of the TR-50 as Media Extender. According to the Engadget article, it will be sold under both the Echostar and Sling brands. It has ethernet and USB ports. It has already been announced that it supports Dish Network VOIP streams. This could really be the start of something big... the whole house satellite receiver concept that they have been working on for awhile now. Scott said he saw a demo of the new 222 receiver streaming an HD program to a PC. It could just as easily stream to this thing. If the OTA tuner incorporates ATSC and QAM it could be cable-capable too. Would be a great solution for many people, especially those who can only get their HD locals via cable for the forseeable future. As time goes on, TV sets will no longer incorporate analog tuners. This would be a great way to get past that RF modulator in the 622/722 for TV2. This may be part of the reason the 612 is replacing the 622. Speculation? Certainly. But I think there is a good chance this could be true.

Why do you say it's using PSIP data ? It's showing Los Angeles channels and the box is in Las Vegas.... PSIP data doesn't go very far forward either, so they'd have to have hooked it up to an antenna in LA 1-3 days ago and then brought it with them.

And again, using PSIP data for a DVR's program guide is a poor idea. It's far too unreliable and doesn't go far enough ahead in time (in practice).
I sincerely hope they are using TVGuide, which delivers 7-days of guide data using ATSC datacast. CBS O&O stations and several other stations now distribute this data with their digital broadcasts. This data is obviously less comprehensive than what Dish offers via satellite, but it it does provide the fields necessary to support DISHPass.

TPSIP guide data typically lacks the fields necessary to support DVR features like DISHPass. I am in a top 10 market and DishPasses are not going to work here if Dish relies on PSIP.

Last edited:
The LATV website seems to be down right now, but here is a brief but accurate description of what it is from Wikipedia:

LATV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of their outlets is KLAS 8.2 digital subchannel in Las Vegas. It all started on KJLA channel 57 which is a rim-shot Los Angeles DMA station in Ventura. Their digital transmitter is on Mt. Wilson, but for distribution in the LA area they have relied mainly on cable and LPTV channel 33 in the San Fernando Valley.

Tr-50

Living in an area where I cannot get OTA, I was disappointed that the TR50 does not have a tuner (QAM) in it. I have basic cable and can tune the HD locals off it with my TV but have no way of recording the material. Had hopes but they appear dashed:(.
Gerry

The engineer I spoke with said it uses PSIP data. It doesn't connect to satellite and doesn't require phone line like Tivo. That would be the only other way.

I'm not sure why it had LA, well try to find out.

Because it's a faked-up demo box with hardcoded data. Much more reliable for trade shows than actual production hardware.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts