Picking up RTV with SuperDish 121

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jscud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Central NH
I am having trouble picking up RTV on AMC-9 @ 83 using an old SuperDish 121. From what I can tell, I am on AMC-9 because I can pick up a few wild feeds like colorbars from NBC in Charlotte, NC, a basketball game from the Sunbelt network and another basketball game from ESPN3. I also can pick up a few transponders from Nimiq 82 with the DBS LNB which also tells me the DSS LNB is probably on 83.

My location is central NH. I have a CoolSat 5000 with the LNB set to Single, the LO set to 10750 and Blind Scan from 11700 to 12900 H. That picks up wild feeds but no RTV or Tuft network.

Am I doing something wrong or is the transponder that RTV is on two weak for the Superdish and it's DSS LNB.

John

Last edited:
i had an old phase (para todos dish) 1 dish on that sat.... same thing happening, i ended up getting rid of it (moved to 101) & using a offset dish to be able to adjust the skew better... way i found it was get the color bars then go to the tp that rtv pbj & tuff is on turn the lnb till it gets signal strength... i hope it works for u

Yes, I am treating it as bandstacked. That is why I only scanned H from 11700 to 12900. I set the skew to 102 (90 + 11.8) which is the recommended setting for 03226. Originally I pointed the dish with a cheapo Sat-Finder meter. Later I peaked the dish on the weakest TP by taking a small TV out in the yard (using diplexers to sent rf signal back up the line to the outside - diplexers removed later).

Do you think I would have better luck pointing at AMC-6@ 72 to pick up the NBC MUX channels?

A couple times for RTV on my cs5000 (even my newer ones) I would have to manually add 11735 H 4444 to my 83w TP's , take a small tv out to the dish with it and tweak the dish until signal bars light up . Get it here in mid-Mo with 24'' dish , but it's a small spot of alignment . Takes time & patience .

Once you have the colour bars coming in, then add the transponder 11735 H 4440 in and then re-peak to that for maximum signal. (note: I have it coming in with 4440. When I tried with 4444, it would not come in.... varies with LNBF and receiver) Once peaked, try again to scan that transponder.

manually add 11735 H 4444 to my 83w TP's

Okay, I thought of that...now if I understand bandstacking with the Superdish DSS lnb - I want to add 11735 + 700 or 12435 H. Is that correct?

Still I am not sure how to add the SR of 4444. That does not seem to be an option for the Coolsat 5000.

Okay, I thought of that...now if I understand bandstacking with the Superdish DSS lnb - I want to add 11735 + 700 or 12435 H. Is that correct?

Still I am not sure how to add the SR of 4444. That does not seem to be an option for the Coolsat 5000.

Go to menu/installation/manual scan,then press the green button to add a transpoder.From there you can enter frequency,sr and polarity.You can also use pid scan and do same.

I thought with bandstacked its 24600-frequency so 12865 H 4444

I thought with bandstacked its 24600-frequency so 12865 H 4444

You are correct...and eureka!, as soon as I added TP 12865 H 4440 (as Larry1 suggested) the signal locked in. Didn't even have to re-adjust the dish. The signal level is only at 25% but the signal quality is 66% and the signal bars are green. RTV, Tuft and PBJE are now in. Thanks to all.

So why didn't the Blind Scan pick that up?

John

jscud,

Are you using the LNB that came with the Superdish (dual type), or are you using another type or model.

I am using the DSS lnb that came with the Superdish 121.

The Superdish 121 had a DSS lnb that was made for 121 and a DBS lnb for 119. The wave guides for these are molded together. The DSS lnb waveguide is offset (like a dog leg) and square, while the DBS lnb waveguide is straight and oval. (a separate regular Dish DP lnb was used for 110).

I actually had two sets of Superdish 121 lnbs and out of curiosity I replaced the DBS lnb on the oval waveguide with a second DSS lnb (2 DSS lnbs 2 degrees apart). I was hoping with this setup I could see two FTA satellites (like G-28@89 and G-17@91). But unfortunately the oval waveguide proved to be a poor conduit for the DSS lnb. The signal reaching this 2nd DSS lnb was comparatively very weak even when re-pointing at a satellite that worked well with the first DSS lnb.

John

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)