Pics of Glorystar setup

bonscott87

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Been running great for over a week now since I got back from vacation. Finally had a chance to landscape around the dish install. As promised, some pics.

I mounted the dish on a tripod and not to my roof. I just didn't want something that big to catch the wind on my roof. Plus down on ground level I can get snow off it.

I got this tripod from Sadoun: Tripod

For the money it can't be beat because it comes with a mounting pole. Plus there is no assembly, just screw the feet down to your platform.

For a platform I got a 3'x3' pressed and treated plywood about 3/4 inch thick. It's solid.

I then prepared the ground as if I were putting in paver stone making it nice and level.
Coax is buried to the house and I drilled a hole in the plywood and have the coax run under the plywood and up thru the hole to the dish.

Now I've been able to landscape a bit putting up a border and filling with stone and this week my wife will plant some flowers in the flower pot. I don't think the dish is going anywhere, even in a blizzard!

Any questions or comments just let me know.

First pic from the front, 2nd from the side.
3rd pic is a closeup of the switch.
4th show both my dishes together.

Attachments

• Dish 011-sm.JPG
    Dish 011-sm.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 529
  • Dish 012-sm.JPG
    Dish 012-sm.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 470
  • Dish 013-sm.JPG
    Dish 013-sm.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 421
  • Dish 014-sm.JPG
    Dish 014-sm.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 691
VERY nice pictures and you are right....the roof is a last resort to mount a dish
Depends... I have a piece of roof that I can lean out a window and tinker on the dish and still watch the tv in the bedroom (or climb out the window and watch the tv from the roof). It's the easiest and most convenient place for a dish in this case (it's actually where dishnetwork orignally placed their dish - before I disposed of that dish), but because of trees, I only get view of about 5-6 sat locations during the spring/summer. If those trees ever get struck by lightening, then I'll be moving some dishes (maybe even the 10' if I can find a decent mount)

The funny thing is that when we put the heavy flower pot on the platform my wife bumped the dish and knocked it rotated a good foot. Great, gotta realign. I just grabbed the arm and swung it back to what I thought was close enough to start. When we were done and went to check signal strength they were actually better across the board. AMC4 was slightly weaker but GA25 was stronger and a couple station I wasn't getting in before were coming in.

I outta let my wife knock my dishes out of alignment more often. ;) Crazy.

please explain to me how having that dish on a tripod is secure, especially in bad storms. here in florida, i would be concerned about setting any dish up that way, given the nature of tropical storms/hurricanes!

easy as heck to take off the tripod if a hurricane is coming :)

Although since he mentioned blizzard, I don't think he has to worry bout a hurricane ;)

Well, I'd be worried about any dish in a hurricane no matter how it's setup.

But not sure how this is less secure then a pole mount on a roof.
All 3 tripod legs have 3 screws each into the 1 inch pressure treated board.
Then said board has about 150lbs of rocks on it as well as a 50 lb flower pot on it.
The dish itself on the tripod is connected exactly the same as it would be on a pole mount on a roof.

It isn't going anywhere, believe me. :D We've had some 70 mph thunderstorm guests and the dish only rotated slightly on the pole that's sticking out of the tripod. I had to tighten that down a bit more. I guess we'll see when the first blizzard hits in 5 short months with steady 60mph winds and 3 feet of snow. ;)

I'd be much more worried about it on a roof.

i had an old directv single lnb secured to the side of the building near a window where i use to live. after hurricane charley, the dish was severly crooked and kinda hanging by one thread. i didn't have satellite at the time. but it took the slumlord about a year before he had someone remove it. it actually didn't get any worse after two more hurricanes in 2004.

anyhow, that's why i was asking about the tripod in case, i ever wanted a second dish for another service, like glorystar.

Nice pics and great setup. Thanks for sharing this with us. I am sure more of us will be looking into doing something similar. At least me, for one. Thanks again.

Just ordered a Glorystar system after considering it for about two months now. I am looking forward to getting it set up as I have not had much options for Christian programming for the last two years here in Mexico. Will let you know how it goes once we get it installed.

bonscott87,

Does your tripod have bolts that will allow you to level the mast? I'm considering a tripod to mount a Glorystar dish on my deck but I doubt that the deck is perfectly level.

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)