Picture going, going , gone

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

scmoore61

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
ohio
I had a BUD hooked up to my house for years and would look through the sats from time to time. The picture kept getting worse every year till there was none. Question. Does this sound like LNB problem? If I replace the LNB will my 16 year old Uniden receiver still work?

The LNB may still be good, but the dish may have been shifting out of position. If the LNB has failed, you may choose replace in order to receive c-band programming, but you will find that most c-band channels are no longer available with the analog Uniden receiver. Many digital receiver options are available with new prices starting at around $100 for standard definition to over $500 for high definition receivers.

I've never seen or heard of of a cnx mini before today, but I googled it and it is a DVB receiver with blind scan. You should be able to get any DVB channels on your big dish by doing a scan on each sat. This is assuming that the lnb is good and the dish is driven, and polarity is selectected with your Uniden receiver.

Could be lots of things. Dish got knocked out of true south orientation, failing lnb, poor connectors (signal attenuation), skew off (polarotor failed/misaligned), trees/limbs, but you are getting something, and that's a start. There's not a lot of analog to use for 'beacons' that is continous broadcast mode anymore.
Try this. This is just an exersise. It will let you start out to play on C band w/your CNX. There is lots of other stuff on the other sats too.
Using the analog IRD, drive the dish to 121W (T7/Echo9/Gal23)
Go to ch 21. You should see ACN (jewerly channel)
Tweak skew and dish position fine tune to get best pic/signal
Find the sat/antenna setup menu page in your CNX.
Find the entry for 121W. IF you dont have that one any other one can be config'd for the desired settings, it will just have the wrong name.
Input the following settings:
LNB type=single
LO=5150
All switches, DiSEqC, 22khz, tone, sw21/sw42, etc = off or disabled.
Save and exit.
Power down both receivers. Remove the coax feed from the analog and put it on the CNX sat/dish/lnb (or what ever they call it) in connector.
Go to channel setup page or equiv.
Select the sat you just set up (121W)
Find an option that says blind scan, smart scan etc.
If you have a selection for H, V or both, select H, (for now). That will speed up the scan.
Begin scan.
Allow the unit to scan all freq/SR combos. May take several minutes.
Ch 21 is horizontal. If working properly, the polarity is set by the C band IRD, and all you can pick up while on ch 21 is H signals.
When the scan is done switch to ch22 which is vertical, this time set to CNX to scan V only and re-blind scan again.
You should pick up lots of stuff in various languages, several in english.
This should give you a taste of how FTA operation works.
Now, you need a list of what to expect to find (digital) for the rest of the sats. "The List", maintained by board staff, is found on the link at the top of the page. Another good C band list can be found here.
http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistCBandUS.html
There is a Ku list on this site as well, when you get ready to play with Ku.
Linear Ku LO for a standard LNB (99.9% of western hemisphere linear signals) is 10750
That ought to keep you occupied for a while.................:)
Welcome to the hobby! :D

OK. Thanks! Now that I have started working on the old BUD I have a few more question. So far I have loosened up the acuator arm, cleared the trees that have grown up, hooked up the receiver and inspected the cables. Is there any way to test the cable going from the dish to the house to make sure it is good? The township trustee mowed off one of the support poles with the hydro ax a couple of years ago and I found one place up by the dish that the cable had come apart. I don't want to replace the 300 feet of cable if it is still good but all the adjustments in the world are not going to get me a picture if the cable is not good.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts