Picture quality again, and again, and again...

Conjuror said:
I would agree for audio. It seems to be better on Voom. Yes, 720p is still HD but when they convert it to 1080i, it is not and it cannot be the same as true 1080i.

Sean,
Do you know when Voom will start broadcasting its exclusive channels in 1080i? That was what I wanted to know.

Only Cinema 10, Monsters, & Epics are at 720p right now. Once the encoder/decoder work is done they will go back to 1080i.

Cojuror: to be fair, you have to compare apples with apples. If you want to compare E* vs VOOM, you'll have to do it on a common channels such as DiscoverHD.

I did, Walter. I just cannot say it is the same. They are very close but not the same. Audio seems to work better on Voom on all HD channels. Still, I prefer to watch non-Voom HD channels on Dish. I can leave with slight differences on non-Voom HD but I am not happy with Voom's exclusive channels. Watching 720p on native 720p TV may be fine but the picture has to be degraded on native 1080i TV, such is mine. The 360 lines difference must be digitally manipulated which is probably why I see pixelation on those channels.
Both Voom and Dish use mpeg compression technology. I do not know how they compress their pictures but from my IT experience my guess is that they have option how much to compress picture and sound, separately. Who knows, maybe Voom prefers to compress picture a bit more than Dish. That would explain why Voom's audio is better than on Dish. However, this is pure speculation as I never worked for TV industry.

cameron119 said:
What the hell does that prove? ESPN is 1080i...that makes Dish Network's Discovery HD Theatre look better?
espn is shot 720p and somehow voom is converting it and sending 1080i.

I believe Sean has recently compared E* and V* and found them the same.

I reserve my opinion and let the others tell the thread starter their opinion which is obviously happening here :D

My display also only supports 1080i but I don't see any pixelation on any of the exclusive channels that get converted from 720p to 1080i. Anybody else?

I'm not seeing the pixilation on those channels either. The only channel I really notice much pixilation on is on Playboy HOT HD on some of their material when there is movement.

seandudley said:
I'm not seeing the pixilation on those channels either. The only channel I really notice much pixilation on is on Playboy HOT HD on some of their material when there is movement.

LOL even if Playboy was in 240 would it really matter when back in the day we copied them 15X over from VHS? As long as we had it. LOL

I'm using my Loewe Aconda HDTV and the picture is outstanding even compared to the D** HD Package. I find myself watchin things I'm not even interested in just cause of the picutre..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts