Picture Quality Problems

squicken

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 24, 2004
I am having some picture quality problems right now, and was hoping for some help. I don't know all the technical terms as to what I am talking about, so I'll just be as descriptive as possible.

Yesterday I swapped out antennas and had to unplug everything. Ever since then, things haven't looked great. I am judging my perceptions mostly on DHDT. The problem is with all channels, though. The picture quality is excellent with the Voom menus, so the problem is not with my TV or connection from TV to STB. DVD and Xbox look great, as usual.

The channels are just darker. Things look underlighted. They also look kinda grainy. When DHDT has an image where the blue sky is showing, I see a flickering in the sky. My signal strength and power are both in the mid 60s (older software). Boosting contrast doesn't really fix the problem. I have experienced this periodically since I got Voom, but it was always very temporary. Anyone else having this problem? I have checked all the connections. Unpluged and repluged everything. I was formerly using a diplex. Removing it didn't harm the signal, did it? The cable goes straight from the satellite to the STB. Except, where the diplex used to be, there is now a sort of bridge that allows to shorter cables to become a long one.

Any suggestions or experience with similar issues would be appreciated.

Did you verify that you are on the same output format (top bar for 1080i), using the red button under the door on the right?

Did you make any changes to your settings on the tv?

Forgot to mention that. Making sure it was on 1080i was first thing I did. No changes to TV.

Have you checked more than one program? I'm sure you've found by now that content on Discovery Theater varies widely in quality; some content is converted from film, and other content is sourced from HD cameras.

Yeah. DHDT, HDNEWS, and Gallery are my usual referents. They all seem to have the problem. BTW, thanks Ken, your always the first guy to help.

cyuhnke said:
Yeah. DHDT, HDNEWS, and Gallery are my usual referents. They all seem to have the problem. BTW, thanks Ken, your always the first guy to help.

Did you make sure that all the coax ends are screwed tight into the stb? Just checking. You mentioned that you had to unplug everything. Let me ask you. Did you disconnect your stb before disconnecting Sat or OTA antenna? Try to remember. It could be that the STB i s damaged since you have done everything else and your signal looks ok. I mention this because there is a possibility of stb shorting out if you don't unplug first.

Have you swapped to different connections (component vs say DVI) and seen any difference?

I just haven't seen this and you mention it has happened periodically and I don't re-collect anyone else mentioning this phenomena...Maybe like Sean says, your box is failing???

Sean Mota said:
Did you make sure that all the coax ends are screwed tight into the stb? Just checking. You mentioned that you had to unplug everything. Let me ask you. Did you disconnect your stb before disconnecting Sat or OTA antenna? Try to remember. It could be that the STB i s damaged since you have done everything else and your signal looks ok. I mention this because there is a possibility of stb shorting out if you don't unplug first.

I disconnected the coaxial going into the STB first before I did anything else. I did not turn the STB off, however. Yesterday, I do not know if the installer unplugged before he rearranged connections. I was outside most of the time. I will say this. I flipped around just now, and that MOTO PIG show looked perfect. I don't know if it is because that show is particularly well lighted, or what. But there certainly was no flickering in the sky.

this is the EXACT same problem I have noticed. The channels just dont have that LUSTER they once had. Discovery HD looks kinda washed out... and I compared BravoHD on VOOM to BravoHD on Cablevision.... Cablevision is noticeably crisper and better.

I have checked all connections, rebooted a bunch of times... I have decided not to complain as it could very well just all be in my head... but I am willing to bet a Bag of Bolivian Bullion that Discovery HD and a few others have suffered some sort of quality loss recently. :cool:

Well, I guess was kind of thinking it was in my head, or maybe the wow factor had gone. But I don't think that's it. I have been flipping around and the non-movie Voom exclusives still look sweet. I really notice it on DHDT. It used to just blow me away. But the flickering I am seeing is real. I hope it is just a problem with the programs, and not the channel. But I don't know, that Dinosaur show the other day didn't look as good as the other ones. But, ultimately, I am satisfied that my connections are fine, which is why I started the thread in the first place. Thanks tattorearz, for letting me know I'm not crazy.

Maybe they have moved channels around on the Discovery HD and Bravo HD transponders...degrading quality in the process. I would report it to Wilt on the Yahoo group.

I don't watch these channels much, so I didn't notice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts