Picture size too big

W6k

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 30, 2021
Fresno, ca
The picture on my TV is too tall and too wide so heads get pruned and text is partially off the edges. I am unable to improve that with the TV picture size control. The problem is with the Dish IRD because I can use my roof top antenna and the TV tuner and the size is normal on my locals.
Any fix for that? IRD is a 722.

How is your TV connected to the 722? [HDMI, coax, RGB RCA Plugs (component) or yellow with white and red RCA (composite) for audio]

Also, check your 722 to see what resolution it is set to output (1080i, 720p, 480p or 480i).

The picture on my TV is too tall and too wide so heads get pruned and text is partially off the edges. I am unable to improve that with the TV picture size control. The problem is with the Dish IRD because I can use my roof top antenna and the TV tuner and the size is normal on my locals.
Try pressing the Format (*) button on the lower left of the remote (directly above the PIP control buttons). You may also be able to change the Zoom setting by using the Page Up / Page Down buttons on the upper right of the remote, depending on which model remote you are using with your 722.

Reactions: TheKrell
Many people, when watching an SD channel and want to fill the screen use the native remote to zoom in, instead of the Dish remote. (And then 9 out of 10 lose the native remote and I have to hope I can use the TV buttons - if they exist - to get their picture back to normal)

Try pressing the Format (*) button on the lower left of the remote (directly above the PIP control buttons). You may also be able to change the Zoom setting by using the Page Up / Page Down buttons on the upper right of the remote, depending on which model remote you are using with your 722.
Second this.

If it's only a single channel, there's a chance that's how Dish is sending it out, but that's doubtful. More than likely, you have it in Zoom mode. I use a universal remote, and the * button is the button under the 7 key.

The problem is with the Dish IRD because I can use my roof top antenna and the TV tuner and the size is normal on my locals.
Does "normal on my locals" mean your satellite-delivered locals? If so, they will almost certainly be HD channels. Note that the 722 zoom level is stored separately for HD and SD channels. Just fix the 722 zoom level on that channel and it should work right on your other SD channels too.

Which channel is doing this?

Does "normal on my locals" mean your satellite-delivered locals? If so, they will almost certainly be HD channels. Note that the 722 zoom level is stored separately for HD and SD channels. Just fix the 722 zoom level on that channel and it should work right on your other SD channels too.

Which channel is doing this?
Reread the post... he can use his ROOF TOP ANTENNA and the TV tuner and the size is normal. Assuming he's giving correct information, he's not referring to satellite delivered locals.

Reactions: pattykay
he can use his ROOF TOP ANTENNA and the TV tuner and the size is normal.
OK, then it has got to be the zoom level on the 722. Or not. I've seen TVs that store zoom level separately for different inputs. So really we can't diagnose without more info.

OK, then it has got to be the zoom level on the 722. Or not. I've seen TVs that store zoom level separately for different inputs. So really we can't diagnose without more info.
On my Sony TV, when I use the TV remote to change the zoom, it will automatically change the zoom back to normal every time I change inputs, or even change channels while continuing to use the TV tuner. It can be annoying if I want the picture to stay zoomed. However, it can also be useful in order to avoid situations like the OP, or like what HipKat pointed out earlier. Of course, we have no idea what TV the OP is using, but the Dish receiver's zoom level does seem to be the most likely culprit here.

PROBLEM SOLVED! You guys are awesome. I bought this TV in January and have been dealing with this issue for nearly six months now. Yes, there is FORMAT button below the number 7, but frankly I never have noticed it and don't really deal with those buttons anyway. Even if I had noticed it, I probably would have figured it had nothing to do with picture size. I avoid pressing buttons that I am not familiar with because most of the time it does something I don't want. The TV is used as just a monitor 90 plus % of the time and I depend on Dish for my programming. There was no ZOOM feature on the Dish setup menu. One tap of that Format button and the picture was normal. How simple that fix turned out to be.

You all made me a hero again in the eyes of my grandkids and wife. HUGE THANK YOU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)