Pictures of Joey 3.0?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AngryStamen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
I am considering some equipment upgrades and additions to my current Dish install (or possibly a wholesale switch to FIOS, depending on how the numbers crunch out). In preparation, I have been doing my research and I have been trying to find some pictures of the Joey 3.0 box since I think I read that it had a different form factor than the original Joey and the Joey 2.0 (which I have), but I cannot for the life of me find any!

Would someone be kind enough to post some pics of the Joey 3.0 receiver, so I can confirm if the form-factor did, indeed change?

Also, can anyone share their experience with the Joey 3.0? My current Joey 2.0 (I think) is pretty slow when navigating the guide and menus, etc., so I’m hoping things have sped up on the new Joey 3.0. Any other features that were added?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, can anyone share their experience with the Joey 3.0?

I gather it's much smaller than the Joey 1 and 2. Mine are quite zippy, even running solely off GigE. It's subjectively about as fast as the H3. My only complaint (and I seem to be the only one having this issue) is that trick play has become very tricky! Sometimes 10secs back gets stuck and won't go back more with additional button presses. Skip forward is even worse because sometimes it jumps way forward to live TV. :crying I believe this is an H3 firmware update that messed this up for me, because it used to work reliably. Other than that, I can think of no glaring bugs.

Reactions: DWS44
My Joey 2 has the annoying feature, if I go back 10 seconds and watch, eventually it jumps to live by itself

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I gather it's much smaller than the Joey 1 and 2. Mine are quite zippy, even running solely off GigE. It's subjectively about as fast as the H3. My only complaint (and I seem to be the only one having this issue) is that trick play has become very tricky! Sometimes 10secs back gets stuck and won't go back more with additional button presses. Skip forward is even worse because sometimes it jumps way forward to live TV. :crying I believe this is an H3 firmware update that messed this up for me, because it used to work reliably. Other than that, I can think of no glaring bugs.
My sister's Wally has this same issue. As I have posted in other threads, though, it only happens on a couple of SD locals from Eastern Arc. (WDLI channel 17 and WRLM channel 47, the only locals still carried in SD on Eastern Arc in the Cleveland, Ohio market.) I keep posting this issue in various threads, hoping that someone from Dish will eventually see it and fix it. The issue has persisted over several software updates. :oldfrown

• Sad
I knew there was a picture around here somewhere. It took a little digging, but I found it. Here you go:
1598224687783.png

I am considering some equipment upgrades and additions to my current Dish install (or possibly a wholesale switch to FIOS, depending on how the numbers crunch out). In preparation, I have been doing my research and I have been trying to find some pictures of the Joey 3.0 box since I think I read that it had a different form factor than the original Joey and the Joey 2.0 (which I have), but I cannot for the life of me find any!

Would someone be kind enough to post some pics of the Joey 3.0 receiver, so I can confirm if the form-factor did, indeed change?

Also, can anyone share their experience with the Joey 3.0? My current Joey 2.0 (I think) is pretty slow when navigating the guide and menus, etc., so I’m hoping things have sped up on the new Joey 3.0. Any other features that were added?
Pictured on the left is a Joey 3, on the right a Joey 2 (1s are the same as 2):

IMG_0522.jpeg

Thanks to you both for the pictures of the Joeys! I can finally see that there certainly is a new form factor! Can anyone verify if the Joey 3.0 has the same type of mounting bracket that the Joey 1.0/2.0 came with? Like this:
e199285796d3169dbca37cfc9035544a.jpg

Reactions: pattykay
Thanks to you both for the pictures of the Joeys! I can finally see that there certainly is a new form factor! Can anyone verify if the Joey 3.0 has the same type of mounting bracket that the Joey 1.0/2.0 came with? Like this:
e199285796d3169dbca37cfc9035544a.jpg

No, there is no bracket for the 3. You can lay it down or velcro it to the back of your TV.

My Joey 2 has the annoying feature, if I go back 10 seconds and watch, eventually it jumps to live by itself

Aha! At least one other person has this issue. It drives me crazy every day.

Every flavor of Joey I've ever had has done this since the advent of the Hopper system. Trick Play has always been inconsistent on Joeys for me. For the most part, I've found over the years that if you want to watch Delayed Live TV, then press pause and wait until at least one full minute has passed. Seems like if Joeys have at least one full minute in the buffer, they will at least hold their position as you use trick play w/o skipping back to live...at least until you encroach back to less than one minute in the buffer.

As to the OPs question, I would concur...the Joey 3 is nearly as fast in operation and navigation as the Hopper 3.

• Sad
The Joey is merely a video terminal, trick plays are done on the Hopper itself as is the playing of the video.

Reactions: HipKat
The Joey is merely a video terminal, trick plays are done on the Hopper itself as is the playing of the video.

I’ve seen “trick play” being mentioned a couple times in this thread. I’m not familiar with this term, can anyone explain?

Does it have 4K or PIP? That is what I hate about my 4K Joey. No PIP, no YouTube, etc!
As I have also complained (ad nauseam, I'm sure) this is also what I hate about the Wally.

No Joeys have PIP or YouTube or Amazon Prime and the only 4K is the 4K Joey you have now
...which was also supposed to have PIP. That was one of the features that was originally announced when the 4K Joey first came out, but Dish dropped the ball on that one. :(

As I have also complained (ad nauseam, I'm sure) this is also what I hate about the Wally.

...which was also supposed to have PIP. That was one of the features that was originally announced when the 4K Joey first came out, but Dish dropped the ball on that one. :(

Do you think it is a technical limitation of the host-client setup or of the Joey boxes? Or does Dish just need to put in a more powerful processor in the 4K Joey?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)